join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Chester2

Re: Caller ID

Unless you have an alarm system, which is dangerous because VoIP can reduce the reliability of the alarm system. I had Comcast Digital Voice and I checked the call logs from when I sent test signals to the central station and it was dialing out like 3-4 times per alarm test and I posted it on the DSLR home improvement forum and they confirmed it was the VoIP causing it to corrupt the signals so the alarm panel had to retry until it successfuly sent the signal. That takes enough time for an intruder to sabotage the panel. I switched my phone to Verizon Landline to maximize the reliability of the security panel.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
I ran into that problem, but I solved it easily.

I got the radio backup option. Now nobody can cut the lines, the alarm still works... plus the extra $10 a month is way cheaper then a POTS line.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
The Verizon tech that came out to my house said many people were switching their home phone back to Verizon after the October snowstorm as the Comcast phone modems died later the same night the power went out and many were without power a week or more. People with Verizon had service provided that the lines between the subscriber and the CO were not disrupted and that the CO remained online.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Yes, any VOIP solution is doomed in a widespread power outage.... and in a serious weather event, even cellphones and wireless will go down as the backup batteries and generators are drained of energy and fuel at the various cell sites.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini