share rss forum feed

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX

1 edit

[IPv6] Comcast recommended IPv6 Gateways

Click for full size
Comcast recommended IPv6 Gateways now posted on »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I'm a bit disappointed that the only Netgear model tested and approved is an older 10/100 WNR1000v2

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Re: [IPv6] Comcast and Cisco Grade the Industry on IPv6 Readines

Probably just didn't get around to it yet but as they said other devices are probably compatable also, just not tested by Comcast. The Linksys E4200 v1 should also be good to go as i've heard of people using them but it's not on their list. Asus and Netgear has newer routers too.

What had me excited was that the mentioned wanted to be full deployed by end of 2012. If nothing else that will give other companies a push. I'm sure they are doing their testing now on a small group but after that it's just a matter of mirroring settings on a wide scale in other locations.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to earletp

I wish the rest of the Linksys E and EA series was listed there too, but I know that they support IPv6 exactly the same way the E4200v2 does.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I just noticed a few mistakes in the instructions for the E4200v2. For securing the router Comcast recommends WPA Personal when what they should be recommending is WPA2 Personal. Secondly the E4200v2 and the EA models all ship with IPv6 enabled by default with the initial firmware right out of the box, plus the automatic firmware upgrade that the E4200v2 and EA models have would make the upgrade instructions moot.

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

reply to earletp

Re: [IPv6] Comcast recommended IPv6 Gateways

My WNR 3500L has IPV6 running on it, so I wouldn't be too bummed out about what Comcast says....

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to earletp

said by earletp:

Comcast recommended IPv6 Gateways now posted on »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I'm a bit disappointed that the only Netgear model tested and approved is an older 10/100 WNR1000v2

Not only that, but the WNR1000v2 that supports IPv6 is the generic model sold by Netgear. The WNR1000v2-VC model that Comcast supplied to their customers does not support IPv6, and its Comcast specific boot loader will not allow the Netgear IPv6 capable firmware to be loaded.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

1 edit
reply to earletp

Apple Airport Extreme and Time Capsule

They are correct that Airport Utility v6.0 does not have the IPv6 options. However, if you do have 6.0, then you can download Airport Utility v5.6 and get full IPv6 support back. 6.0 and 5.6 can be installed concurrently.

Edit: I see they mention 5.6 in the PDF. However, the following statement is not accurate .. "Using Airport Utility version 6.0 for OSX Lion will remove IPv6 functionality from your Airport Extreme router." ... AU 6.0 will not remove the functionality, you just won't have the options to configure IPv6.

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to earletp

That list is misleading as not all of the DIR 655 support IPv6.

There are A1, A2, A3 and A4 revisions all of which do not support IPv6 (latest firmware 1.35).

Then there is the B1 revision which does support IPv6 (latest firmware 2.03).

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to earletp

The WNDR3700 Ver.1 with the latest firmware V1.0.16.98NA supports IPv6.

earletp

PDX

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Not only that, but the WNR1000v2 that supports IPv6 is the generic model sold by Netgear. The WNR1000v2-VC model that Comcast supplied to their customers does not support IPv6, and its Comcast specific boot loader will not allow the Netgear IPv6 capable firmware to be loaded.

I agree, there's something wrong there.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I just noticed a few mistakes in the instructions for the E4200v2. For securing the router Comcast recommends WPA Personal when what they should be recommending is WPA2 Personal.

That's not a mistake. WPA is adequate for nearly everyone, and WPA-AES is essentially the same as WPA2 anyway.

earletp

PDX

1 recommendation

reply to earletp

Netgear has many routers that support IPv6, my point was more of one where Comcast is "strongly recommending" someone looking to purchase a new IPv6 gateway buy one that is already several generations old tech wise opposed to buying more current tech that could well serve them better and longer.

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ
reply to earletp

"The following list of devices are recommended by Comcast for use as part of our IPv6 enabled broadband services. These devices along with the corresponding firmware have been tested in Comcast labs and are known to be compatible. While other devices may also be compatible we strongly recommend the use of devices we have tested. This will help to ensure you have a consistent broadband experience throughout the IPv6 transition."

"These devices along with the corresponding firmware have been tested in Comcast labs and are known to be compatible."

That is probably the reasoning for listing these devices and not others.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to earletp

The Asus RT-N66U is IPv6 compatible. I'm running a 6in4 tunnel via Hurricane Electric on it.

Edit-The IPv6 options on it are-

Disable
Native
Native with DHCP
Tunnel 6in4
Tunnel 6to4
Tunnel 6rd

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by RR Conductor:

The Asus RT-N66U is IPv6 compatible.

None of those options list if it supports DHCPv6-Prefix Delegation. (»www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3769.txt && »www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3633.txt)

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to NathanO

said by NathanO:

"The following list of devices are recommended by Comcast for use as part of our IPv6 enabled broadband services. These devices along with the corresponding firmware have been tested in Comcast labs and are known to be compatible. While other devices may also be compatible we strongly recommend the use of devices we have tested. This will help to ensure you have a consistent broadband experience throughout the IPv6 transition."

"These devices along with the corresponding firmware have been tested in Comcast labs and are known to be compatible."

Still it is very strange that Comcast tested and approved the generic Netgear IPv6 capable WNR1000v2, but has not bothered to release IPv6 capable firmware for their own version of the same router. The hardware is identical, the only difference is the Comcast specific boot loader that only allows Comcast branded firmware to be installed (and since the Comcast firmware also disables telnet access, there is no easy workaround).
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

earletp

PDX
reply to NathanO

said by NathanO:

That's obvious and has nothing to do with the point I'm apparently failing to make.
It has nothing to do with "tested and approved"...
It has nothing to do with "there are other models that are IPv6 capable"

I understand that other routers, both models and manufacturer's can be used.

My point was simply that the only Netgear router Comcast chose to test is a three to four year old model, and that this is the one they now recommend, even though at least nine models have been released since then. Even the newest WNDR4500 was released seven months ago.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by earletp:

My point was simply that the only Netgear router Comcast chose to test is a three to four year old model, and that this is the one they now recommend, even though at least nine models have been released since then. Even the newest WNDR4500 was released seven months ago.

I suspect that the reason for that is because Comcast's left hand doesn't communicate with Comcast's right hand. Comcast for several years distributed their own version of the Netgear WNR1000v2, and I'll bet that is why that model was chosen for testing.

However, the IPv6 testers probably were not aware that the Comcast version of the WNR1000v2 has been crippled so that it can't have the Netgear IPv6 firmware installed on it. So, they either received a generic WNR1000v2 directly from Netgear, or purchased one from a distributor who still had one in stock (rumor has it that Comcast no longer has any WNR1000v2-VC routers in stock), and they just assumed that Comcast's WNR1000v2-VC was capable of being upgraded using the Netgear supplied firmware. Unfortunately it isn't unless Comcast releases their own IPv6 firmware for it (or pays Netgear to modify the headers on the Netgear IPv6 firmware to allow it to be loaded into the Comcast version).
--

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by RR Conductor:

The Asus RT-N66U is IPv6 compatible.

None of those options list if it supports DHCPv6-Prefix Delegation. (»www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3769.txt && »www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3633.txt)

I'm not even sure what that is. Thanks for the links though. I just posted up what it says it is compatible with.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to earletp

IPv6 is all new to me, so you'll have to bear with me if I'm not up to speed on some of these things.

ctg1701a
VIP
join:2008-08-07
Media, PA

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by earletp:

I suspect that the reason for that is because Comcast's left hand doesn't communicate with Comcast's right hand. Comcast for several years distributed their own version of the Netgear WNR1000v2, and I'll bet that is why that model was chosen for testing.

However, the IPv6 testers probably were not aware that the Comcast version of the WNR1000v2 has been crippled so that it can't have the Netgear IPv6 firmware installed on it. So, they either received a generic WNR1000v2 directly from Netgear, or purchased one from a distributor who still had one in stock (rumor has it that Comcast no longer has any WNR1000v2-VC routers in stock), and they just assumed that Comcast's WNR1000v2-VC was capable of being upgraded using the Netgear supplied firmware. Unfortunately it isn't unless Comcast releases their own IPv6 firmware for it (or pays Netgear to modify the headers on the Netgear IPv6 firmware to allow it to be loaded into the Comcast version).

All rumors aside in this post, the left hand and right hand are actually talking and working with each other on this

We are very aware of the choices we put on that website and the the models that support and have been tested to work. I suspect you will see additional items added overtime and supported firmware for those devices if and when they become available.

Thanks
Chris
Comcast

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by ctg1701a:

All rumors aside in this post, the left hand and right hand are actually talking and working with each other on this

We are very aware of the choices we put on that website and the the models that support and have been tested to work. I suspect you will see additional items added overtime and supported firmware for those devices if and when they become available.

Thanks
Chris
Comcast

In this particular case, the firmware for the WNR1000v2-VC is Comcast's responsibility, since it is their device and their firmware. Therefore there should be no if, only a when, because the firmware is already available (and tested and approved). It only needs Comcast to change (or authorize Netgear to change) the headers in the firmware to allow the IPv6 firmware for the WNR1000v2 to work in the WNR1000v2-VC. It is exactly the same hardware, so it is only a Comcast marketing restriction that is blocking things. I mean seriously, we are talking less than a minute to make the header modifications, and perhaps 2-3 minutes to recompile the code (on even the slowest PC that can run the compiler).
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to ctggzg

hmm I have to disagree because I'm pretty sure I read quite a few reports on WPA cracking plus it shows up with how to's on web searches. »www.bing.com/search?q=wpa+crack&···sp=1&sk=