uniqs
share rss forum feed

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

The wait is killing me

Is there anything that requires more patience than waiting for your call sign to show up in the ULS? I'm trying to hang in there, but it's driving me nuts.

Passed the test on Saturday 4/7, and the VE's said I would probably show up on Wednesday or Thursday, but as of Friday morning I'm still not there.

How long did it take for some of you? I'm a new license (Technician), not an upgrade (though I started studying for my General). I wonder, does the ULS database update several times a day, or only once?
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Back when I got my ticket, I had to wait for it in the mail, and it took almost a month...

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
Agh! That must have killed you. The VEs were up in years, and they were telling me how "back in the day" they had to wait 5-6 months.
--

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to alphapointe
said by alphapointe:

Back when I got my ticket, I had to wait for it in the mail, and it took almost a month...

Same here. Back in 1989 I passed July 8th and didn't get my license until August 12. About a year or two later, after the no-code tech was created it was taking two to three months to get a license from the FCC. Without that paper, you could not transmit. At least with ULS, you can now get on the air as soon as you see the record.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
Well of course you guys are right....patience.

equalize

join:2009-10-22
Chicago, IL
reply to pianotech
Tech license less than a week. General & Extra about 2.5 weeks.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
said by equalize:

Tech license less than a week. General & Extra about 2.5 weeks.

I wonder how often the database updates per day. If it's only once, then checking it 80 times a day isn't doing me any good.

Wow, under a week? That's pretty fast!
--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to pianotech
I passed all three tests on 7/16/2010 [a Friday]. The VE in charge took the paperwork to ARRL HQ on Monday morning [7/19] [I live about 3 miles from ARRL HQ], the 19th. My 'grant date' was 7/20 [a Tuesday]. I was in the ULS Tuesday evening.

My guess is that you'll be there today or Monday, unless the postal service had a bad week or ARRL is slowing down. I heard through the grapevine that they were looking for someone to do some data entry for them, so maybe they're working on that issue.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to pianotech
"A watched license never arrives..."

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
reply to DrStrange
KB3YLQ!

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to alphapointe
said by alphapointe:

Welcome to the new age, old man...

Hell with waiting... just make one up...
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to pianotech
said by pianotech:

KB3YLQ!

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
said by ke4pym:

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Thank you!
--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to pianotech
Fabulous!

Welcome to the hobby!

-73 de AB1NH

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
said by DrStrange:

Fabulous!

Welcome to the hobby!

-73 de AB1NH

Thanks! That was a long 6 days!
--

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pianotech
Tech - Took test on a Saturday and I was on the air the following Wednesday morning. (2005)

General - Took test on a Saturday and was on HF the following Tuesday. (2007)

Extra - Who knows. Maybe when I retire in 20 years it will be same day service. I wish I had more time to get on the air but work and raising a kid does not leave much time to get on the air more than once a month or so.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by battleop:

I wish I had more time to get on the air but work and raising a kid does not leave much time to get on the air more than once a month or so.

That's a fact!! I had 10m in my last vehicle, but I traded about a month ago and haven't had time to even think about installing any ham gear. I don't miss 2m or 440, but I miss 10m mobile!

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to pianotech
It took about 4 months back in 1964 when I passed my Novice exam, and about 3 months when I passed my General.
I was just ecstatic that my General arrived the Thursday before Field Day in 1965!
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
New Castle, PA
Now that would be pretty cool, getting your ticket right before Field Day! Come to think of it, that's coming up.
--

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to drjim
It took about 2 weeks to get my "No-Voice" ticket back 25 years ago(1987), and they told me it would probably take 1-2 months at the time.

It was actually less than 2 weeks on paper back then, but I would still give it at least 2 on the ULS today..

Passed the General, and Amateur Advanced 2 weeks after receiving the "No-Voice".

Passing the 13 WPM CW, that was a fun test, but the 20 WPM was absolutely hellish..

If you don't know CW, it's absolutely no longer a requirement, but you should be interested in learning it anyways.
Morse Code is my second language, and sometimes, under certain band conditions, it's the ONLY way to get your message across.

Last goal in my radio life is to go EXTRA, and a GROL(Not HAM, it's a commercial license), but I am not actively pursing that option at the present time, my Grandfathered "Advanced" license, suits me just fine right now..

However, I do have 3 kids that are not yet licensed, and they have set their sights on a Tech/General before school starts back up in the fall.

Hope you get some good news really soon!!!

73!!!
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to pianotech
My reply was to pianotech, but it came up as a reply to drjim.

Don't know why???

pianotech, this was supposed to be a direct reply to you.

drjim, no disrespect to you, I don't know why it happened this way...
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
n/p!
Yep, and I get to be the FD chairman again this year because nobody else wanted to do it.
We're going to be 3A this year because several of our members will be operating with the other club they belong to.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.