spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JamesDax

join:2001-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

[Speed] Netgear Wireless N150 and Blast!

Just upgraded from Preformance to Blast and noticed my speeds were the same. After doing some trouble shooting with comcast it looks like it's the router that's the problem. I have the Netgear Wireless N150 WNR100v2 router. Does this router max out at 20Mbs down? Is there anyway to get my Max speeds?(laptop connected directly to modem got about 35 down/6 up)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
He who lives the longest will know the most.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

Buy a new/better router would be my suggestion.

Try changing channels to be sure there's no interference.

»www.VAJeeps.com

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JamesDax

I second what ExoticFish said. It's still a wireless G router, all it does is do channel bonding. It's own webpage says "IEEE™ 802.11 b/g 2.4 GHz with some n features" under Standards. A new router will improve things. Do you have a specific brand and price range in mind?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

If price isn't an issue I'd go for the new Asus RT-N66U. Got mine yesterday but haven't been able to hook it up. (Birthday present so I can't have it until tomorrow). From what I've read it's one of the best available currently.

I'm a bit disappointed with my E4200 and the EA4500 I bought was no improvement over the E4200 so it went back.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to JamesDax

If your desktop/laptop is wireless with only 54G built in then no new router will help and in that case you need to upgrade your laptop. The N150 should be more than capable of providing 35Mbps speeds over Wireless N. 802.11G however can only do 20-22Mbps max in real world.

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to JamesDax

Why don't you try plugging direct into the cable modem, or at least a LAN port on the router?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

He did...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SHoTTa35

Dude its a G router, it's not going to do 35Mbps or more. Netgear usually requires propriatary wireless adapters of the same series to work properly such as the N150 micro usb »www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···00M.aspx and the N150 usb »www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···100.aspx adapters like they did for the RangeMax series and 108Mbps series.

Even if he is using G capable computers, using a wireless N router will still help him with distance because of the signal amplification new routers have.

His best bet would be new N router and if his computers dont already support N he could pick up some N adapters.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to JamesDax

said by JamesDax:

Just upgraded from Preformance to Blast and noticed my speeds were the same. After doing some trouble shooting with comcast it looks like it's the router that's the problem. I have the Netgear Wireless N150 WNR100v2 router. Does this router max out at 20Mbs down? Is there anyway to get my Max speeds?(laptop connected directly to modem got about 35 down/6 up)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a Comcast speed test over my 12/2 service that I just did through a Comast supplied WNR1000v2 router:

If the Blast tier is over 20mbps (I am too lazy to look it up, and I am sure that it varies for each franchise anyway), your problem is probably that you are using 802.11g that will top out at ~20 mbps. If your connected PC(s) only have 802.11g adapters, it won't matter what router you use. Even if you are using 802-11n mode on the router, and you have 802-11n adapters, interference from nearby equipment may be preventing you from reaching higher speeds. If you really want to get higher speeds using WiFi, you will need to use both a router and adapters that support 802-11n using the 5ghz band (unless you live somewhere that you don't have neighbors using the 2.4ghz band)
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to JamesDax

Yes, the router is probably going to max out at 20 - 22 Mbps throughput...

Equally important is the notebook's wireless card. If it is 802.11g, then you may also be wise to invest in an 11n wireless usb adapter along with a newer router.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ExoticFish

Well the E4200v2 and the EA4500 are pretty much identical and since Linksys says it will be upgrading the v2 to support the cloud apps features the EA series is touting, either is a good buy. Now if you are talking about the original E4200 then although it is a good router thats a really good buy, as hard as it is for me to say (because I bought one Janurary 2011) it's just not going to see the cloud apps and it only supports 300Mbps rather then the 450Mbps. What's wierd is that I'm connected to the EA4500 and the wireless laptop I'm on is seeing 217Mbps on the wireless status, but when I swap it out for the original E4200 I only see 144Mbps, both on 2.4GHz.

I would without a second thought recommend the EA4500 since it gives the same features as the E4200v2 with $20 dollars less of a pricetag in stores. When the price flipflops and the E4200v2 becomes cheaper, I would recommend that one.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to NetFixer

The problem is 5GHz drops out at longer distances so he would only be able to go a fraction of the distance before the connection speed between the router and wireless device becomes too slow to use compared to the distance with 2.4GHz.

Expand your moderator at work

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [Speed] Netgear Wireless N150 and Blast!

Where are you seeing that the N150 WNR1000v2 router is "G"?

Better check in to that further. I had that router free from Comcast & I can assure you it is "N" capable.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

The problem is 5GHz drops out at longer distances so he would only be able to go a fraction of the distance before the connection speed between the router and wireless device becomes too slow to use compared to the distance with 2.4GHz.

Of course, you are surely aware that only one of the 2.4ghz 802-11n settings in the WNR1000v2 is called "neighbor friendly"?

I do realize however, that not everyone cares about being "neighbor friendly".
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

If you really want to get higher speeds using WiFi, you will need to use both a router and adapters that support 802-11n using the 5ghz band (unless you live somewhere that you don't have neighbors using the 2.4ghz band)

Not necessarily true. I use the 2.4 ghz band(neighbor friendly mode) and I get the same or better speeds on blast tier as I do wired. I have 13 networks that show up and 11 have good to excellent signal strength.
Sorry, forgot to mention it's 802-11n mode.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by jaynick:

said by NetFixer:

If you really want to get higher speeds using WiFi, you will need to use both a router and adapters that support 802-11n using the 5ghz band (unless you live somewhere that you don't have neighbors using the 2.4ghz band)

Not necessarily true. I use the 2.4 ghz band(neighbor friendly mode) and I get the same or better speeds on blast tier as I do wired. I have 13 networks that show up and 11 have good to excellent signal strength.

I suspect that you probably also have friendly neighbors whose routers also monitor other nearby routers to try to keep things in balance. If anyone within range has a router that is not "neighbor friendly", then the whole neighborhood can become a very WiFi hostile place for 2.4ghz users.

Fortunately I have reasonably friendly neighbors too.
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

it's true that 5GHz is far more attenuation sensitive than 2.4 GHz (metal, water are great absorbers and the higher the frequency the worse it is at penetrating) however 2.4 has to compete with a huge number of other users and uses (radar, microwave ovens, electronic ballasts (florescent and high pressure lighting)) are common EMF pollution sources.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
reply to NetFixer

Fair enough.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Johkal

»www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···000.aspx under Standards it says IEEE™ 802.11 b/g 2.4 GHz with some n features

I'm guessing we're just splitting hairs here. Point is it doesn't support 300Mbps or higher.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

2 recommendations

said by Mike Wolf:

»www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···000.aspx under Standards it says IEEE™ 802.11 b/g 2.4 GHz with some n features

I'm guessing we're just splitting hairs here. Point is it doesn't support 300Mbps or higher.

No, it is not splitting hairs, 802.11n does not require that a router support 300mbps or higher. 300mbps may be your personal minimum requirement, but that does not make it an official 802.11n standard.

Although it is refreshing to see that you at least edited your post to partially reflect the actual specs of the router because it is an 802.11n compatible router.

Here is a screen shot of the link you originally provided:

What I see on that page is:

Faster than 802.11g, compatible with 802.11n and backward compatible with 802.11g

and

The NETGEAR N150 Wireless Router is a simple and secure way to share your high-speed Internet connection at Wireless-N speeds

The setup page that I previously posted (and is posted here again so that you won't have to click a link to see it) clearly reflects that.

--

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to jaynick

said by jaynick:

said by NetFixer:

Wow, a lot of WiFi neighbors there! We just have one neighbor on the south side, and their WiFi at our place is too weak to be used or cause any issues. We have no neighbors on the east, west and south sides, so I have my 2.4 and 5 channel bandwidth set at 40 Mhz. The benefits of being rural I guess.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to JamesDax

Ok seems there's some confusion here as to how things work. Here's a short lesson and this goes for 2.4Ghz as well as 5Ghz radios.

20mhz on a 1x1 radio equals 75Mbps
40mhz on a 1x1 radio equals 150Mbps

20mhz on 2x2 radio = 150Mbps (or 144/130Mbps)
40Mhz on 2x2 radio = 300Mbps (or 270Mbps)

20Mhz on 3x3 radio = 217Mbps
40Mhz on 3x3 radio = 450Mbps

Now there are variations to this because some radios are 1x2 or 2x3 - 1 transmit with 2 recieve or 2 transmit with 3 receive respectively.

No 4x4 routers have been made yet because of the complexity in radio design but with 802.11ac, who needs it!

For the OP mentioned router - the N150 is a "N" router (as the name suggests) but it's only a 1x2 setup. 40Mhz mode actually doesn't even make sense on this frequency anyways as all it does it show higher link rates but your speeds don't increase much. It can even decrease because of picking up more noise since the channel is larger.

So for the OP, he has a N router either running in G mode or doesn't have a G client. If he does have a G client, simply getting an N one will solve that problem. The website apparently wasn't clear which is what confused Mike Wolf but we'll just let that one slide since Netgear is the one at fault there.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to RR Conductor

Yes, lot's of WiFi here, I am in a condo complex and Comcast is the only real HSI here. ATT 1.5x384 is the only other choice. The odd part is half of them are clueless as many are unsecured.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

said by jaynick:

Yes, lot's of WiFi here, I am in a condo complex and Comcast is the only real HSI here. ATT 1.5x384 is the only other choice. The odd part is half of them are clueless as many are unsecured.

Comcast is the only real HSI out in Redwood Valley too, there is a WISP (Willits Online) but they are slower, more expensive and you have to have line of sight to their sites to get service, which many can't get due to the forest cover and rugged terrain. We can't get DSL as AT&T has never upgraded the CO (serves Redwood Valley and Calpella) out here to support it, though there is DSL 9 miles to my south in Ukiah and 12 miles north in Willits.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JamesDax

All the quibbling about the Netgear N150 aside, it is at best a "sort of" 11n compatible router, and based on the OP's results, most likely a large part of his wireless speed problem...although again, what wireless adapter is in the OP's notebook?

Johkal, yes the N150 is "N" capable, but I suspect that it primarily functions as an 11g router and is probably real persnickety about which wireless adapter is associated...at any rate, I would not recommend the N150 to anyone with Comcast running at the performance tier or better...certainly would not use one with Blast tier!

My earlier advice stands: JamesDax, first and foremost make sure that your notebook is running an 11n wireless adapter, and if not, get an 11n usb wireless adapter. If that is the case, and it cures your wireless speed - Great!

If it is not the case (your notebook has an 11n wifi adapter, or a new adapter does not result in better connectivity), then yes, a new router is in order!

Everybody has their favorite/least favorite brand...so I won't get into an argument there, but for my money, you can not go wrong with the newer Cisco routers...anything from an E2500 up to the newest EA series routers. The N150 IMHO is a marginal router for today's higher internet speeds...if you prefer Netgear, they have several models better-suited for your set up.
--
Deeds, not words

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Mike Wolf

That's not a "v2"

As for splitting hairs: You claimed it was "G". It is not. It is "N" capable.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Yes it is N capable.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT

Bottom line: Would anybody recommend the Netgear N150 as a suitable match for someone running Comcast Blast tier?

I would not. It is inadequate for the job.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I agree.