pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Gone

Re: [Rant] What part do you hate about Highway 417?

said by Gone:

There's not much of 11 left to do, though they need to add interchanges in areas where it has level crossings.
North Bay has much more interesting stuff underway though - like massive four-level stack interchanges planned for right in the middle of the city where 11 turns north to go up the hill.

Yeah I've seen and heard people unfamiliar with the road freaked out about how there are straight stop sign crossings on a 100 km/h divided highway up there!

After the 4-laning is complete North Bay will be the first traffic lights you hit driving up from Toronto. They can get pretty backed up with local traffic too hence the interchanges. I don't know details but I'm thinking there will be 2 or 3 of them? (Along with the current small interchange at the south end of the city.)

I wonder how the local traffic will work afterwards. Right now the road is very heavily used with half a dozen points of access across the main part of the city. Cutting that down to 2 or 3 in that span they will need to have ways to distribute traffic to the other points.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to thebaron
said by thebaron:

said by Gone:

The 'second' Ottawa highway you would have seen back in the 90s would have been the bypass that was to run between the 417 and 416, south of the Airport and Barhaven. It's still technically on the books, but McGuinty kind of put it on indefinite hiatus. The Queensway being widened to 12 lanes is not outside the realm of possibility, it just won't be an express/collector system like Toronto.

Hunt Club going to the 417 will eventually happen. Last I heard it wasn't money holding up the project, but some kind of environmental stuff.

Hunt Club to 417 is being built right now...
I'm going to assume that many Ottawans that post here haven't been East of Ottawa on the 417 in the last few months

I work out by there so on Monday I'll go by and see if it's actually being built and take some pictures if I can.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to highwire2007
417? I dunno, it's kind of a straight, narrow freeway with substandard ramps through (new) Ottawa. It's not all that remarkable. 416 lacks exit distances on the BGSes and that pisses me off.

The Hwy 7/8/85 bypasses in K-W have been under constant construction since the 60s. I swear, there is never a time that you will travel those highways without seeing construction somewhere. The Weber/Fairway ramps have been realigned like, 4 times?

I'm waiting to see how The Roundabout at 406 & 7146 pans out myself.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to highwire2007
A couple of other annoyances :-

- The 417/416 interchange: exit and entrance ramps on the left side of 417 instead of spending the money to build some bridges and do it properly on the right side. And because they did that, I can't get to the Moodie off-ramp from the 416 any more.
- The wall in the center median is too low according to North American standards. I read five years ago that the MTO was going to make it beefier to keep cars from flying over it, and to keep headlight glare from oncoming traffic to a minimum. That never happened, of course.
- The Bronson off-ramp from eastbound is so short, that traffic backs up from the traffic light all the way on to the highway.

Let's face it. As far as Queen's Park is concerned, Ottawa is at the end of the line - out of sight, out of mind. Very little money is spent on provincial infrastructure out here compared to Southern Ontario. There are a couple of places down there where bridges have been built for future highway expansion, and they sit unused for years. Most of the bridges in Ottawa haven't been updated since they built in the 1950s.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by highwire2007:

- The 417/416 interchange: exit and entrance ramps on the left side of 417 instead of spending the money to build some bridges and do it properly on the right side. And because they did that, I can't get to the Moodie off-ramp from the 416 any more.

I agree, that was a completely boneheaded decision. When it was planned they may have been going on the assumption that the dominant flow would be 417 to 416, but that is certainly not the case now.

said by highwire2007:

- The wall in the center median is too low according to North American standards. I read five years ago that the MTO was going to make it beefier to keep cars from flying over it, and to keep headlight glare from oncoming traffic to a minimum. That never happened, of course.

How tall is it? The "Ontario Tall-Wall" (that's the official name, even in the US) standard is 42". The original height used in the US was 36" and it was actually Ontario that started using a higher barrier that was adopted in the US. 42" is now the international standard. There are some areas of older construction that are still 36" - QEW between the Skyway and 405 in NOTL comes to mind - but otherwise 42" is the normal height and by no means "too low" according to North American standards. If they're 36" now, they'll be upgraded during a major reconstruction.

said by highwire2007:

Let's face it. As far as Queen's Park is concerned, Ottawa is at the end of the line - out of sight, out of mind. Very little money is spent on provincial infrastructure out here compared to Southern Ontario. There are a couple of places down there where bridges have been built for future highway expansion, and they sit unused for years. Most of the bridges in Ottawa haven't been updated since they built in the 1950s.

That is so incorrect it's not even funny. Lots of stuff is going on in Eastern Ontario. Have you driven down Highway 7 between the 417 and Carleton Place lately? How about the 17 that is now 417 out towards Arnprior? Yeah, thought so.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to highwire2007
said by highwire2007:

- The Bronson off-ramp from eastbound is so short, that traffic backs up from the traffic light all the way on to the highway.

Don't you remember the Queensway being widened from Bayshore to Kanata a few years back with and HOV lane being put in? Lots of other projects are going on west of the city as indicated by Gone and as you know two elevated portions of the Queensway were replaced in past years with no traffic disruption. Houses along the street near the Parkdale exit on the westtbound Queensway were recently expropriate and torn down in order to widen the highway. Not sure why you would say nothing is going on in eastern Ontario.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by highwire2007:

I agree, that was a completely boneheaded decision. When it was planned they may have been going on the assumption that the dominant flow would be 417 to 416, but that is certainly not the case now.

said by highwire2007:

How tall is it? The "Ontario Tall-Wall" (that's the official name, even in the US) standard is 42". The original height used in the US was 36" and it was actually Ontario that started using a higher barrier that was adopted in the US. 42" is now the international standard. There are some areas of older construction that are still 36" - QEW between the Skyway and 405 in NOTL comes to mind - but otherwise 42" is the normal height and by no means "too low" according to North American standards. If they're 36" now, they'll be upgraded during a major reconstruction.

said by highwire2007:

That is so incorrect it's not even funny. Lots of stuff is going on in Eastern Ontario. Have you driven down Highway 7 between the 417 and Carleton Place lately? How about the 17 that is now 417 out towards Arnprior? Yeah, thought so.

Not to mention the bridge replacements at Carling, Cyrville... etc

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to highwire2007
said by highwire2007:

People coming off 416 onto the 417W and trying to exit at Moodie were Kamikazes! I used to continue from 416 along 417 to March Rd. I don't know how many near-misses I had because of other people from the 416 on the ramp to 417 passing me on the left, then trying to dart across my path to get all the way to the right lane before Moodie. Good riddance to that! Now they can get off at Richmond exit and re-enter the 417 in the right lane.

Now I work near Scotia Bank Place. I get off 416 at Fallowfield and take it to Eagleson to Terry Fox. Such a relaxing ride, and at least 5Km shorter than 416 to 417 to Terry Fox.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

1 edit
said by WhaleOilBee:

said by highwire2007:

People coming off 416 onto the 417W and trying to exit at Moodie were Kamikazes! I used to continue from 416 along 417 to March Rd. I don't know how many near-misses I had because of other people from the 416 on the ramp to 417 passing me on the left, then trying to dart across my path to get all the way to the right lane before Moodie. Good riddance to that! Now they can get off at Richmond exit and re-enter the 417 in the right lane.

MTO is about to do the same thing at the 174/417 split.

Those coming west along the 417 will be unable to exit at St Laurent. They'll have to instead exit at Aviation Parkway and turn left on Ogilvie to reach St. Laurent. Those entering the eastbound 417 at St. Laurent will be unable to access the 174.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
The MTO should really do the same thing with the 420 and Thorold Stone Road. I still don't know why they allow access between the two when you're navigating between left and right ramps. Kamikaze is a pretty good description, especially since you also end up with some tourist who is also realizing they made a mistake and are either stopped or backing up on the highway to change ramps.