spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

[VA] Cox DNS addresses are pathetic

I've been using different public DNS addresses for a year now and couldn't be happier. Recently I switched back to Cox's addresses and I quickly realized why I left them in the first place. I noticed pages loading noticeably slower, and I'd often get errors saying pages couldn't be loaded. I now completely swear off of Cox's DNS servers. I don't know if they are overloaded, or just plain crappy.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by mclasser:

I've been using different public DNS addresses for a year now and couldn't be happier. Recently I switched back to Cox's addresses and I quickly realized why I left them in the first place. I noticed pages loading noticeably slower, and I'd often get errors saying pages couldn't be loaded. I now completely swear off of Cox's DNS servers. I don't know if they are overloaded, or just plain crappy.

Cox DNS and routing were never a strong point. dns you can use alternate servers as for routing

Pwnsmack

join:2004-09-12
Portsmouth, VA
reply to mclasser

What DNS providers did you switch to? I was considering Google or OpenDNS but wasn't sure which is better.

CulDeSac

join:2007-12-01
Chandler, AZ
reply to mclasser

We switched to opendns to have content filtering and improved routing. Both work great.

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ
reply to Pwnsmack

OpenDNS here too.

When picking a DNS provider make sure they are going to route you to a server local to you if the site you are going to visit offers them.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to CulDeSac

said by CulDeSac:

We switched to opendns to have content filtering and improved routing. Both work great.

And you get redirects for free too. w00p!

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ

That is a big plus for me, one of the reasons I first tried OpenDNS.

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

I've been using GTEI DNS (now Verizon) addresses 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. Different benchmarks have all said these are the fastest ones in my area. After a year, I definitely concur.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ

4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 are level 3 dns

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Ramona, CA
reply to mclasser

Maybe I'm crazy, but it's super-easy to configure Unbound (a free DNS server) on a local Windows/Linux/BSD box and use that. No more relying on your ISP/OpenDNS/etc DNS, and you can always have a 'primed cache' based on what your household actually browses.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

I am already using a PC (running the free version of Astaro Security Gateway) as my network firewall, so adding a second PC for DNS would mean more space, power consumption and fan noise. I'll stay with OpenDNS (I have used them for years with zero issues).

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Ramona, CA

Dont know why you'd need a different machine to run the DNS server.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

The Astaro Security Gateway software does not permit you to run any other programs within it, so I would need another PC to run Unbound for the DNS server. Easier and simpler to use OpenDNS.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

said by daveinpoway:

The Astaro Security Gateway software does not permit you to run any other programs within it, so I would need another PC to run Unbound for the DNS server. Easier and simpler to use OpenDNS.

or level 3 dns for "clean dns" unlike opendns which has redirects.