how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jfinch1

join:2001-06-18
Knoxville, TN

[Line Problem] Why would upload be better than download

I've been having problems with my DSL 1.5m/bits service for a week now. I won't bore you with the long story about trying to get someone out here to check out my line, which finally occurred today, though things aren't fixed.. but.. I was curious, what could be wrong to cause stats like these? I'm using a Westel 6100, I also have a spare Westel, and I get the same stats with it as well.

Down Stream Path
DSL Sync Rate (Kbits/Sec)
SN Margin (db)
Line Attenuation (db)
CRC Errors

Up Stream Path
DSL Sync Rate (Kbits/Sec)
SN Margin (db)
Line Attenuation (db)
CRC Errors

The only other time my download was slower than my upload, I had a bad modem, this isn't the case this time. And yes, these stats are when I plug straight into the NIC, bypassing the inside wiring.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Well the upload is lower in the bandwidth so less prone to noise problems.

But that certainly should not be, but hard to say for sure, beyond you clearly have an external line problem or equipment problem.

Have you rebooted the modem once connected direct to the NID?
--

dandeman
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

2 edits
reply to jfinch1
Click for full size
Choked up backbone??? I've seen my upload better than down load at times I believe due to extremely overloaded backbone connections..

Guess it could also be the speed test server, but the slow speed to other sites, when it occurs, would tend to indicate a congested backbone link..

It will vary depending on the location of the speed test server I'm testing with..

1/4 mile long wire DSL connection on my end always has rock solid, consistent S/N, therefore not an issue.

Recently experienced a period of this and then it went away...

btw.. highly recommend Visual Route Speed test as it shows throughput over time versus the peak attainable speed that many speed test sites give. If you use this test, be sure to click on the "test results" link for detailed info about the connection over time.
»myspeed.visualware.com/servers/n···ware.com

I like their test method so much that I bought their app "My Connection PC" that gives even more information about the quality of the connection.

»www.myconnectionpc.com/index.html

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jfinch1
Your upload SNR is at 10 dB, but download is only 1 dB, which is too low, and your line attenuation of 59 dB suggests a long loop length. But I wonder at the disparity between down and up SNR. Have you checked your filters?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jfinch1

join:2001-06-18
Knoxville, TN
I no longer have phone service with AT&T. Therefore no filters, just one CAT6 run from the NID straight to the Modem in my bedroom.

I got my daily robo-call from AT&T Saturday at 5 informing me they didn't get things fixed and that I was rescheduled for Monday.