join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Speed Tests, April 13th, Near Peak

START - D2 - 16/1 - 10:20 PM EDT
[Test Location in Eastern Ontario]
NOTE : ALL Locations were tested at least 2 times.

Kitchener

Hamilton

Kanata (near Ottawa)

Montreal (FibreNoire)

Toronto

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Things are fine here. Are you sure you aren't suffering from some sort of D2 node-level congestion?

Also, when I run the speedtest over wifi on my laptop, I only pull 6. My hard-wired desktop is doing fine and pulling the speeds above.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

COGECO - D3 - 30/2 - 10:40 PM EDT
[Test Location in Eastern Ontario]
NOTE : ALL Locations were tested at least 2 times.

Kitchener

Hamilton

Kanata (near Ottawa)

Montreal (FibreNoire)

Toronto
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Things are fine here. Are you sure you aren't suffering from some sort of D2 node-level congestion?

Also, when I run the speedtest over wifi on my laptop, I only pull 6. My hard-wired desktop is doing fine and pulling the speeds above.

I think that several factors are at play, one of them the D2 Local Node 'stuff-up', plus my own physical location vis-a-vis Start's & Cogeco's networks and peerings, as well as other things.

Also note my followup Cogeco tests of the same 5 servers.

The comparisons for tonight follow pretty much the same patterns as the ones which I did and posted for just after 11 PM last night.

It would interest me very much to have somebody near Toronto to post the same detailed tests of START as I did, using the D2 modem and the same 5 servers, to compare all of the stats for each.

Nudge, Hint, Mister Gone, Anybody else....

(BTW, ALL of my tests were done with the same PC, wired to my WRT54GL router, wired to whichever modem.)
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Is Last Parade up and running on START yet, with the fancy D3 Cisco beast ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Keep in mind from you to Toronto is the same path. The difference is from our peering in Toronto to specific sites, and the capability of those sites.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rocca:

Keep in mind from you to Toronto is the same path.

The difference is from our peering in Toronto to specific sites, and the capability of those sites.

I was alluding to some of that just above.

I have not performed any traces so far, but have you noticed a few patterns in my 2 nights of tests ?

My best PING with START's hookup is to Montreal, and usually my best speed too if during evening - Kanata is next best, and Toronto ties with Kitchener for worst speed during evg. - Speeds on START are much more even during the daytime or any other off-peak period.

On Cogeco's hookup, my best PING is to Toronto, though SPEEDS are much more consistent from one city to another, and at all times of day or night.

The main question which comes to MY mind is why my PING on START is lowest to Montreal if my data has to first go to Toronto on Cogeco's AGG network, and then back to Montreal, but a Toronto test shows poorly and it's just 'across town' from wherever Cogeco peers, I would think.

It must be taking a short cut to Montreal somehow, or a wrong turn in and around Toronto....

So how would I find out the name or IP of the various speedtest.net servers, so to do ping trace routes for each ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Perhaps because the Toronto server does not prioritize response to ICMP requests and/or is under much heavier load?

The bolding isn't necessary. Seriously.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Perhaps because....

The Toronto test server responds just fine when I'm on my Cogeco account and modem - in fact the lowest ping of them all.

Did I miss something obvious ?

BTW, I post so much stuff in rapid succession some days that occasionally I really DO want portions of it to stand out more than the rest, and often the other text formatting choices just don't seem to cut it.

OK, I moved one of the tags.

I wish that there was a 'Semi-Bold' for Internet.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Perhaps because....

So how would I find out the name or IP of the various speedtest.net servers, so to do ping trace routes for each ?
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Speed Tests, START, April 14th, OFF-PEAK

START 16/1 account with D2 Motorola modem - 2:00 AM EDT
[Tested from Eastern Ontario]
NOTE : ALL Locations were tested at least 3 times.

Montreal (FibreNoire server)

Toronto

Moments before this, my Cogeco account and D3 modem tested at full speed (30/2) on both of these servers, with PINGs of around 18 for Toronto and 26 for Montreal (FibreNoire server), and that observation seems to be holding true no matter what time of day.

WEIRD ?

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Speed Tests, April 13th, Near Peak

said by Davesnothere:

No, I can't wait for my 9 hour install window on the 18th though.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

The Toronto test server responds just fine when I'm on my Cogeco account and modem - in fact the lowest ping of them all.

Yes. Cogeco has drastically different peering arrangements than Start. Cogeco doesn't peer at Torix, for example. Who knows what kind of route you're getting to get to that server, or what or what port you're using if it's multihomed. You're posting decent speed tests from other servers, so who the hell cares if but one server has lower performance than the other ones you're posting?

Seriously, when it comes to stuff like this there are so many variables that were this conversation in person it would be nothing more than an exercise in oxygen/CO2 exchange.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Davesnothere:

Yes. Cogeco has drastically different peering arrangements than Start. Cogeco doesn't peer at Torix, for example. Who knows what kind of route you're getting to get to that server, or what or what port you're using if it's multihomed. You're posting decent speed tests from other servers, so who the hell cares if but one server has lower performance than the other ones you're posting?

Seriously, when it comes to stuff like this there are so many variables that were this conversation in person it would be nothing more than an exercise in oxygen/CO2 exchange.

But I THRIVE on learning stuff, even at my advanced age.

The tests I have performed since you posted that last post have illustrated very well the differences in peering among the 2 test sites with START, and so just for kicks, before Cogeco unprovisions me, I'm going to repeat those 2 cities thru Cogeco account to see what peering that THEY use.

BTW, Peter posted something which explained why the Toronto test reads poorly.

Even though they both peer at TorIX, Nexicom has not yet turned on peering to Start thru TorIX, but plans to soon.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Nexicom has not yet turned on peering to Start thru TorIX, but plans to soon, apparently.

I know, I read that when rocca said that.

If that speed test server needs to be routed through Cogent, that explains why the speed tests are out of whack relative to the actual performance, at least based on my own past experiences. Once they're talking to each other directly at Torix you'll see it improve drastically.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Lurking then, I see.

So it's not that Montreal was that much better in my tests, it was the Toronto test that was out of range, and the other user noticed that too, when comparing Toronto to Michigan.

A-HAH !

And there sure were a lot of hops on the way to Nexicom from START !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cogeco to Nexicom in Toronto

Tracing route to nexicom.com [216.168.96.37]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 - 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.67.1
2 - 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.71.128.1
3 - 22 ms 19 ms 19 ms d226-5-81.home.cgocable.net [24.226.5.81]
4 - 18 ms 27 ms 19 ms d226-6-130.home.cgocable.net [24.226.6.130]
5 - 24 ms 17 ms 21 ms xe4-3-0-56.core1.toronto1.nexicom.net [206.108.34.66]
6 - 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms xe3-3-0.core2.toronto1.nexicom.net [98.124.50.241]
7 - 33 ms 20 ms 22 ms ge1-2-9.dis2.millbrook1.nexicom.net [98.124.46.162]
8 - 24 ms 22 ms 23 ms ge6-0-20.dis3.millbrook1.nexicom.net [98.124.50.2]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 ^C

It's a quick hand-off to Nexicom, et VOILA !

Deux Points !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cogeco to Fibrenoire in Montreal

Tracing route to fibrenoire.net [208.84.104.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 - 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.67.1
2 - 14 ms 8 ms 7 ms 10.71.128.1
3 - 20 ms 22 ms 19 ms d226-5-81.home.cgocable.net [24.226.5.81]
4 - 25 ms 20 ms 19 ms d226-6-130.home.cgocable.net [24.226.6.130]
5 - 18 ms 19 ms 20 ms bvi1.asr01.tor151f.fibrenoire.ca [206.108.34.141]
6 - 25 ms 25 ms 28 ms te4-3.crt01.mtlcx03.fibrenoire.ca [68.67.63.197]
7 - 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms gi1-19.core02.mtl-1250.fibrenoire.ca [208.88.108.226]
8 - 26 ms 25 ms 27 ms srv01.mtl-1250.fibrenoire.ca [208.84.104.2]

Trace complete.

Very similar peering.

One network transfer and done.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade

Anticipation

said by Last Parade:

said by Davesnothere:

Ironic that the only one of us GOUGEco lemmings with a proper Kosher D3 modem has to endure latency in his INSTALL DATE !

4 more Sleeps, then....

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by Davesnothere:

said by Last Parade:

said by Davesnothere:

Ironic that the only one of us GOUGEco lemmings with a proper Kosher D3 modem has to endure latency in his INSTALL DATE !

4 more Sleeps, then....

I'm on TekSavvy at the moment. And they've forgotten to shut down the line. Don't say anything.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

I'm on TekSavvy at the moment. And they've forgotten to shut down the line. Don't say anything.

"Hey M@@@@@@@@@@RC !"