how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

probboy

join:2008-01-10
Natick, MA

[Rant] Slacker, any good alternatives?

I'm a monthly subscriber to Slacker, mostly because it offers the ability to cache music overnight (via Wifi) on my Android handset. Unfortunately, their app is an absolute POS. At first I thought it was just my cheap handset, but in browsing their forums, the crappiness of their app seems to be a universal complaint regardless of handset or operating system.

Does anyone know of an alternative service that allows caching? It's surprisingly convenient both in terms of keeping cellular data usage down and for those places where cellular data isn't available.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I was also a slacker subscriber for the cache feature and had nothing but issues az well. Support was useless, if they replied at all.

Haven't found any alternatives. I am using Pandora, but you need mobile data service for that to work. The Pandora mixes are better though.
--
This Space for Rent...

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you, but I'll give you a free bump to also complain how crappy the Slacker app is!

The bummer is I like Slacker better than Pandora but I still usually need to switch to Pandora after a few songs because Slacker just crashes or stops playing music. Worthless...

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to probboy
Spotify has an offline mode. Not really the same as Slacker or Pandora but I've stopped using Slacker in favor of Spotify.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL
reply to probboy
I use TuneIn Radio on my iPhone. It works great, and allows for recording if you purchase the app for 99 cents. You can add stations to your favorites or add custom URL's.

Pandora and Slacker just kept paying the same crap over and over for me. Now I just use TuneIn Radio to access all the stations 181.fm has to offer.

-Dragasoni-

CTMustang
Premium
join:2007-09-10
France
reply to probboy
the ipad version is much better... Wish they would fix up their android side.

Sober
Just Say No
Premium
join:2003-02-24
Crack House
Yeh spotify, it has a radio feature, plus a whole library you can make avail offline.

probboy

join:2008-01-10
Natick, MA
reply to probboy
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll give Spotify a try--I kind of wish they had a slightly longer trial period, but oh well.

I gave Rhapsody a try, and although they have a much better app, I found it really difficult to find and add stuff.