how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kh2002

join:2002-03-15
Davis, CA

[General] 45 day notice to switch from dsl to uverse

I just got an email from at&t that my dsl is being discontinued and I'm being switched to uverse internet. In the past when I was offered uverse as an upgrade I always declined since we have directv satellite and they wouldn't sell a package that was internet only without uverse tv in a bundle.

So what I'm wondering is that now they're forcing me to go to uverse internet will they let me just take the internet service by itself or are they going to force me to take a internet plus tv plus phone package?

Has anyone else already been through this forced upgrade? If so how did it work out?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I have never been though a forced "service upgrade", nor am I currently a customer. But they are pushing an "Internet only" version of U-verse. They are probably upgrading their end to IPDSLAM, which is not compatible with ADSL.

Here is a link to the U-verse forum, and here is their IPDSLAM FAQ.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

kh2002

join:2002-03-15
Davis, CA

Thanks for the info... If this is the case then I guess this isn't a big deal

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to kh2002

You will get the Internet only option on U-Verse. ATT has made this clear in the past. If your area is serviced by U-Verse - any form- you will be forced to upgrade or face service disconnection.

If your area has FTTN U-Verse you will get faster speeds than the IPDSL but will require a totally new modem.

This is being done to ALL aDSL customers on the ATT network. This is also a great way of them getting rid of any CLECs and resellers on their network as once you are upgraded; you basically can NOT get moved back to the old network.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by 25139889:

This is being done to ALL aDSL customers on the ATT network. This is also a great way of them getting rid of any CLECs and resellers on their network as once you are upgraded; you basically can NOT get moved back to the old network.

What about CLECS which have their own hardware in the CO?
--
Norman

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to 25139889

said by 25139889:

Are you saying that if you leave ATT for another DSL provide AFTER they switched you to U-verse, you cannot?

PremTech101

@aircloud.com
reply to 25139889

To clarify ALL ATT DSL customers will eventually be moved over to U-verse. All other customers that are served from RT's/CEV's from other CLECS will still be able to use the old network for the time being. From what upper has said after 2012 no new CLEC orders will be allowed for the legacy stuff that are on RT/CEV's. If you are CO based you'll be able to keep your legacy circuit obviously because we dont own that equipment.

CharlesH1

join:2011-04-29
Milpitas, CA

said by PremTech101 :

To clarify ALL ATT DSL customers will eventually be moved over to U-verse.

I have minimal DSL service from at&t as a backup to my "real" service from Comcast. I know my area has U-verse, from all the ads I get in the mail (both e-mail and postal). My DSL is on an RT, which I was moved to when my CO DSL line proved to be unacceptable (before I used Comcast). Am I to understand that at any time, I could get a letter from at&t saying that I must sign up for U-verse internet, and get a compatible modem?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

What about CLECS which have their own hardware in the CO?

they will remain but you would have to order service directly from them.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to CharlesH1

said by CharlesH1:

Am I to understand that at any time, I could get a letter from at&t saying that I must sign up for U-verse internet, and get a compatible modem?

No, you will recieve a notice saying in the next 30-45 days your service is ending. YOu have two options

1.) let the service run out- disconnection would happen anytime at day 31 to day 45.

2.) order uverse internet service and transfer your existing service to the Uverse IPDSL/VDSL network.You would need a compatible modem as the legacy DSL modem will no longer work on the current Uverse IPDSL network. There is some modems on ebay that will work or others that people have sold ex. 2wire 3600 hgv, etc..

The choice will be yours.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

The top speed of the ATT uverse offering at my location is half what I am getting via aDSL through the CO. Should I move service to a CLEC now to lock in current speeds and avoid being forced to a lower speed uverse requiring a modem upgrade?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to CharlesH1

Another member posted a copy of a att letter with this info

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA
reply to kh2002

While I understand the current notice seems to be limited to residential DSL customers, does anyone know if business DSL customers are going to be forced to migrate?

mnorris80

join:2011-06-06
Buckner, MO

Business customers will likely not be forced, because U-verse causes too many problems with VOIP phone systems. It's also basically impossible to use bridging with U-verse hardware.

In fact, right now, businesses can get DSL in U-verse areas simply by claiming that they need "bridge mode" on their router. AT&T will override the lockout for ordering DSL service and allow you to get it, even if you are in a U-verse area.

bbear2
Premium

said by mnorris80:

... It's also basically impossible to use bridging with U-verse hardware. ...

Are you saying that with Uverse (Internet only) there is not a "modem only" option and you have to get the combo modem/router? But yet the modem/router has no bridge mode available?

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

There is a "modem only" option with U-Verse (assuming you have either ADSL2+ or VDSL2 single pair U-Verse). The "modem only" option supports Internet Only, and only dynamic IPs. It does not support IPTV TV service nor VoIP Phone service

For ADSL2+ IPDSLAM U-Verse, there is the black model Motorola 2210 (not the gray model).

For VDSL2 FTTN U-Verse, this is the dark blue model Motorola 2310

The Motorola 2210/2310 technically do not have a true "bridge mode" -- but they have an "IP Pass-through" mode which has the modem pass the public IP directly to a 3rd party router or other device connected to the modem

If you have BPON FTTP U-Verse or VDSL2 FTTN Pair Bonded U-Verse, there are no "modem only" options available. BPON FTTP must use either a rented 2Wire/Pace 3800/3801 Gateway (modem/router), and VDSL2 FTTN Pair Bonded must use the rented i3812 iNID Gateway system

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

said by ILpt4U:

For ADSL2+ IPDSLAM U-Verse, there is the black model Motorola 2210 (not the gray model).

Also for the ADSL2+ IPDSLAM version of U-Verse, if you buy the static IP block (/29 is the smallest they offer) and get the NVG510, it'll happily route the entire block to a router of your choosing.

/M

andre1000

join:2003-06-06
Fresno, CA
reply to 25139889

Does the AT&T Uverse changeover from DSL mean hardline phones will not be landline anymore.

Another way to say that.. Landline phones are a physical direct connection (nearly) to other landline phones.

There's no latency (delay)
There's no noise (to speak of).
There's a quality to the connection which could be called 'intimate'.

An aunt has Uverse in the Central Valley CA and her, what looks like a landline, phone has a distinct delay similar to cell phones.

If you've changed over from DSL to Uverse could you comment on
any difference in your phone line quality or latency delay.

Thanks!

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9

Depends if you stay with POTS or if you switch to U-Verse VoIP

U-Verse Internet and/or U-Verse TV does NOT require a switch to U-Voice VoIP.

U-Verse ADSL2+, VDSL2, and BPON all work fine line shared with POTS

andre1000

join:2003-06-06
Fresno, CA

AT&T didn't give me much good information.
What I did get was a similar answer saying that if staying with POTS
my phone would be 'the same'.

My current charges are $28 for basic phone and $40 for DSL (6mb).

That's 'too much' especially in this economy and compared to what we paid
in 2009 and 2010 (and before) for the same thing.

The best choice, for me, seems to be to go to 12 mo guaranteed pricing from
Sonic for total of $40 for phone and 6mb DSL. With no caps also.

After 12 months maybe AT&T will rethink what they're charging people.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by andre1000:

Is Fusion available in Fresno?
--
Norman

ampex

join:2011-05-23
San Diego, CA
reply to andre1000

said by andre1000:

What package is this? I just see the Sonic 6mb for $30 package, and I know phone service is more than $10/mo.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by ampex:

said by andre1000:

What package is this? I just see the Sonic 6mb for $30 package, and I know phone service is more than $10/mo.

Why I asked if "Fusion" was available in Fresno. I have their "Fusion" package; but it requires a CO connection, and that Sonic.net, LLC have an ADSL2+ DSLAM in the CO.

$39.95* a month gets you unlimited long distance and local calls, and ADSL2+ service at whatever speed the loop length allows. If you can get it.

*Plus taxes and regulatory fees; usually about $10.
--
Norman

vcincampbell

join:2001-04-27
Campbell, CA
reply to kh2002

I was notified 2 weeks ago. I took the bite and will be moved to Uverse come 9/4/2012. Taking the day off to make sure it comes up or at least have a reason why Uverse isn't working. House full of internet fiends (wife and kids) they demand their dsl to be working.

My only concern is making sure Netflix works on all the devices in the house and that I can play my online games without any lag issues.

My DSL on my alcatel 1000 is about 5 meg down with 600 meg upload. Had a DSL tech come out and she said I have a very strong signal. Green RT is located down the street. I have been seeing occasional drops from DSL the past few months. But I don't stay down too long.

Uverse box is across the street about 4 to 5 houses over.
I asked why was I selected to move to Uverse, I was given the following answer that the area is saturated with DSL and some folks are getting disconnected. So they are starting to move us over to Uverse to eliminate this issue.

I asked for the Max with 12 meg down. I didn't request FastPath yet. Im hoping the interleave service is good enough for my gaming consumption and Netflix HD streaming.

I'll repost on 9/4 if everything is hunky dory or come back with my sob story that it was a bad decision.

ATT will send a tech for free to get the install done correctly. Hopefully the switch over is a non issue.

bbear2
Premium

I assume you will be getting a new modem. Do you have to pay for that? Do you have a choice of a modem/router combo (aka 2wire) or a modem only?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Heree's a link to a copy of the uverse letter

uverse letter

bbear2
Premium

Thanks for the letter. Doesn't say anything about modem or modem/router types of choices though.

cholt
Indeed

join:2000-04-26
San Jose, CA

I got the letter and am making the switch - internet only. They're sending me a 2Wire 3600HGV, which is arriving today. U-Verse gets turned up this coming Monday the 27th. Fingers crossed.

vcincampbell

Campbell, CA
reply to bbear2

Everything supposedly will be free for this conversion from dsl to uverse. This coming Tuesday this switch over will happen. I'll post when it does.

vcincampbell

Campbell, CA

Transitioning from DSL to Uverse....painless. I had the 6 meg download package for DSL and then I moved over to the 12 meg Max package.
Before transition: I was getting about 5 meg down with ~600kb up.
Now I'm getting 11.53 meg down and ~1.45 to 1.5 meg upload.
Netflix seems to render pretty good. Didn't get any disconnect when running quests on my current MMO. Kids aren't complaining with their online games. Best of all, wife is happy that her internet connection wasn't affected.

There was a little cause for concern, they said my uverse box was about 3900 ft away. I said wait, there is a box 4 houses over. They said nope that isn't my box, I'm getting fed from a Uverse box 3900 feet away. I asked my tech about FastPath and he didn't know what I was talking about. I just let it drop.

The modem they gave me PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N well it looks like this one. I don't have the exact model number since I'm typing this at work.

Glad its all running well.