uniqs

opp
@bhn.net

opp to CableMan1

Anon

to CableMan1

Re: Question about the "tap" that's installed before c

said by CableMan1:

The tap sounds like a DC coupler that techs use when installing modems. It's basically a splitter that loses usually 6,9, 12 or even 16 dB. The tap leg loses 6,9,12,16 to the modem and the through/out leg only loses 1 or 2dB to have more signal for tv's, boxes, etc...

It most likely does not filter any frequencies. I have never seen one that does.

Interesting was opposite of what I thought. Why weaken signal to modem, do they overload easily?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by opp :

said by CableMan1:

The tap sounds like a DC coupler that techs use when installing modems. It's basically a splitter that loses usually 6,9, 12 or even 16 dB. The tap leg loses 6,9,12,16 to the modem and the through/out leg only loses 1 or 2dB to have more signal for tv's, boxes, etc...

It most likely does not filter any frequencies. I have never seen one that does.

Interesting was opposite of what I thought. Why weaken signal to modem, do they overload easily?

Regardless of device too much is just as bad as too little.
breynolds
join:2012-02-15
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by opp :

said by CableMan1:

Regardless of device too much is just as bad as too little.

True, but when my signal at the modem is -8dB, it makes you wonder why they put an attenuator before the modem. It works fine as-is, but I may be moving some wiring next weekend. It would be really cool to get the TA and Tuner out of the living room.

I've been on a mission lately to reduce the number of "boxes" in the living room. Right now, I'm down to a PC, a "smart" AVR (lots of streaming options and built-in amplification for the porch/pool area), a Tuning Adapter, and a turntable. I'm going to call BHN in a few minutes (God help me) to get the CableCARD swapped to the new tuner. So, I'll then have an external tuner (vs. the internal one I have now) added to the mix. If it works well for the next week, I'll move it (and the TA) to the wiring closet next weekend.

news
@videotron.ca

news to opp

Anon

to opp
said by opp
[/BQUOTE :

You want good signal for all your CPE (Customer Promise Equipment), with minimum signal loss...

If you connect a cable modem to the tap side of a coupler 6 and a 4-way splitter on the through side. You will lose 6 dB on the cable modem and about 9 dB on the tv's or STB. If you connect the cable modem on the through side instead, you will lose only 2 dB on the cable modem but 13 dB on the tv's or STB, it's a lot!!!!

It doesn't matter if the downstream and upstream power to your cable modem is +- 4 dB, the important thing is to be in the specifications. You have to balance the signal so all the CPE are in the good range. You need a signal meter to do that...

tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to opp

to opp
Its not about overloading the modem or not, they want the modem off of the first split to just have less connections to go bad. Also, you dont want to amplify a modem and its very common for that dc to feed an amp and then whatever split configuration to feed tv's.