how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alaza

@cybercity.dk

Setting Zyxel P-2601HN-F1 to act as modem

Hi there.

I am provided by my ISP with a Zyxel P-2601HN-F1, but I need to put my Linksys E2000 behind it. To do this I need my Zyxel router to act as a modem (or completely transparent). Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?

Thank you

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1
It depends on your ISP's setup, but research bridge mode for the device in question.

ftp.zyxel.dk should have the userguide you can look at.
--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."

Alaza

@cybercity.dk
The weird thing is, that when I set my ISPService to Bridge mode, I just loose the Internet connection diode in my router. But my settings seems to be correct.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
That is common the reason is that you are now making the connection to the ISP with the device immediately following the bridged modem.

Alaza

@cybercity.dk
reply to Alaza
I thought that the Zyxel would act as a modem, still holding up the connection to the ISP server, while I would however not have NAT, firewall and so on?

JPedroT

said by Alaza :

I thought that the Zyxel would act as a modem, still holding up the connection to the ISP server, while I would however not have NAT, firewall and so on?

But the IP address that the WAN interface of your router used to have, is now attached to something connected on the LAN port of the router.

Did you disable DHCP server on the ZyXEL? Also make sure the ZyXEL has link and then powerup your other router or pc etc, then it should get an IP from the service provider. Unless you need to use PPPoE, then that needs to be configure on your other router.

From way back when, I seem to remember that Cybercity used PPPoA, but this is like 10 years ago.....
--

Alaza

@cybercity.dk
I seem to remember that I disabled DHCP on the Zyxel router, but I am not 100% sure. But does it matter? It tries to provide IP adresses in the range of my WAN IP, but how could it be active when I'm in bridge mode?

Cybercity (Telenor today) still uses PPPoA - at least that seems clear in the router config that's downloaded to the router. So I should setup the PPPoA on the router connected on the LAN port of the Zyxel router?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Here is a link to the manual - »ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2601HN-F1/user_g···_ed1.pdf.

Yes, it does matter. Not sure what router you are trying to use behind your ZyXel but I have not seen to many that will support PPPoA. dslpartner probably knows which ones will or will not support PPPoA.

Alaza

@cybercity.dk
My plan is to set a Linksys E2000 in the Zyxel LAN port with the Tomato firmware to set up an OpenVPN solution. But it does not seem that it supports PPPoA. Is there any way around this do you think?

JPedroT

In Norway, Telenor used to allow you to connect with either PPPoE or PPPoA, maybe they still allow this and it also was extended to Cybercity.

So try to setup your Linksys as a PPPoE device with username and password you used with PPPoA.

Make also sure that the DHCP server on the ZyXEL is disabled.

If this does not work out, then half-bridge mode is an other option. But I have done anything with half-bridge mode and I am not sure whether your device actually supports it either.
--

Alaza

@cybercity.dk
Okay, so I just tried the following:

Setting the Zyxel router into bridged mode and disabled the DHCP server. For the Linksys router I enabled PPPoE and then put in my ISP user login information. The only thing I was in doubt of was the "Service Name", but I take it it's optional?

However, with this setup I don't get any light in the Internet diode in the Zyxel router, and the Linksys router doesn't get a WAN IP.

Alaza

@cybercity.dk
The other options I have besides PPPoE are:

dhcp, static, pptp, l2tp

Can I use them to anything?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to Alaza
Again you will not get a lite Internet diode when in the bridge mode.

Try setting up your ZyXel to use PPPoE and see if you can actually setup a session using only it.