share rss forum feed

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

[CDV] Just heard that Best Buy is no longer selling EMTAs

I just heard that Comcast is no longer going to support customer owned EMTAs. Has anyone else heard anything?

I no longer have CDV. I now have my home phone with Verizon Wireline.

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

Not to sure. Comcast recently shipped me a eMTA and activated it without a problem. No tech visit.

Perhaps they will support people self installing but you have to request it form Comcast directly.

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to IowaCowboy

Seeing how Best Buy is closing stores it may be a matter of time before they are even in business anymore.

At least 400 corporate jobs are going out the door and who knows how many retail employees.

»pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=24415···ghlight=

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

They dont deserve to be in business. I know i purchased a big screen tv for a christmas gift for my son and scheduled it for delivery. They gave me a 8 to 10 delivery time. Day came and i took off work to be here. 12;30 comes so i call and they say we are running late and wont make it until tomorrow. I dont have to tell you where i told them to stick the tv. I didnt even get a apology. Swore i would never shop best buy again. Come to find out later they didnt even have the tvs they were selling.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to KevTech

They are opening a few hundred smaller stores and moving affected retail employees to other locations. It's not a sign of them going under completely.

IE - if an area has 3 best buys within a certain range, one may get closed and those employees moved to other locations or given a severance package.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

They dont deserve to be in business. I know i purchased a big screen tv for a christmas gift for my son and scheduled it for delivery. They gave me a 8 to 10 delivery time. Day came and i took off work to be here. 12;30 comes so i call and they say we are running late and wont make it until tomorrow. I dont have to tell you where i told them to stick the tv. I didnt even get a apology. Swore i would never shop best buy again. Come to find out later they didnt even have the tvs they were selling.

I have not gone in to Best Buy in over a year for similar reasons. Their service stinks, they try to scam you with warranties and computer "tune-ups" that are not even tune-ups. They don't seem to treat their products appropriately (I have gotten defective products from there), and none of the employees seem to give the least care about anything!

quote:
They are opening a few hundred smaller stores and moving affected retail employees to other locations. It's not a sign of them going under completely.

IE - if an area has 3 best buys within a certain range, one may get closed and those employees moved to other locations or given a severance package.
I don't think they'll ever go under completely (especially considering the Best Buy stores near me are always packed), but I think they will shrivel into a smaller company that is not the "center of the electronics universe" anymore.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to IowaCowboy

Ive bought an IPAD, Two Kindle Fires, Two Laptops, and XBOX360 from Best Buy.
YMMV.

Im no crusader. I go to the closest place with the best price and get what I want.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to IowaCowboy

I shop at Best Buy all the time, I even have the RewardZone Premiere Silver status (which requires you to spend $2500 a year there).

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:8
reply to voipnpots

said by voipnpots:

I don't think they'll ever go under completely (especially considering the Best Buy stores near me are always packed), ...

Well, they may be "packed," but are all those people buying or just looking/trying-out?

One major problem that Best Buy faces right now is that many people use it as a showroom for online sites (like Amazon). They find out what model they like, then leave the store and order it online.

And with a cellular smartphone, people can check the online prices right in the store!

But once a particular model is decided on, people (like me) sometimes want it right away and buy it right there, especially if it's on sale that week and the online price difference is minimal (see: "Instant Gratification" ).