reply to bbear2

+ 1

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to nwrickert

I telnetted into the server and I have 124 emails. Not all are new as I told the server to keep emails for 30 days but probably at least half of them are new ones that I have not seen. I'd sure like to be able to get them in an email client, Sea Monkey, Opera or Outlook Express. dslrmail was my most active account.

I switched from port 995 to 110 and switched SM mail to "password transmitted insecurely" when secure didn't work. But nothing works!

OE that I use the most has a convoluted connection and I am not seeing the security exception box I have to click on each time (twice) to get dslr mail so it is really messed up but SM mail should work correctly with or without SSL and either 995 or 110 port but it doesn't fetch the mail either.

Obviously, my password is not a problem since I successfully telnetted into the server just now. But what is the problem? I can see with the convoluted setup on OE (because of no SSL there) that it could have a problem but why SeaMonkey?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Cartel

Grrr...how come these forums work for posting but the front page articles are not allowing posting? I want to reply to Karl's latest article. Is it just me? Can any of you reply to the front page articles?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I telnetted into the server and I have 124 emails.

They might be emails from September 2010
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.3; firefox 3.6.8

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Grrr...how come these forums work for posting but the front page articles are not allowing posting?

First off is anyone here named Kotter (Welcome Back Kotter)?

But from the homepage

quote:
Announcement:
dslreports.com is open but pending data recovery, with limits. More info here

PS: I'm not addicted to DSLR--really. And Denial is just a river in Egypt
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

I think you were partially to blame in Ouray for tryin to suckout too much bandwith from the space-time continuum.

»www.bunicomic.com/2011/07/05/buni-11/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Name Game:

I think you were partially to blame in Ouray for tryin to suckout too much bandwith from the space-time continuum.

Yeah well someone has sucked bandwidth from Ouray as my speeds have been really low for the last 5 days or so Sent proof etc to CenturyLink an hour ago but I'm sure it went straight into the bit-bucket
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

said by Mele20:

I telnetted into the server and I have 124 emails.

They might be emails from September 2010

Aha! Maybe that is why the command to retrieve one of them got me Nil's nice (but a little smart assy ) retort "Are you sure you know how to use this thing"? I was puzzled as I should have been able to retrieve it easily...so I bet you are right and there was nothing there to retrieve hence the retort. I got in really fast too. I have telnetted in quite a few times over the years and never very quickly and using the "list" command usually was slow but this time I was in instantly and the list of emails were retrieved instantly...yeah...I bet that it is from 2010 and there is nothing really there.

So, has anyone actually gotten dslr mail dated since the shutdown?
--

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

I got a password reset link, does that count?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Check your PM's. Yanow the little yellow flashing letter icon at the top left of the screen
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW

Might have been caused by the Forestry Service out there...flying cows are worse than Hamsters

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIvZ9Uerago

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to PrntRhd

You have dslr mail as your email address for when you signed up here? How did you do that? Or, I guess you changed your email address in your profile here after you signed up and got dslr mail?

I guess if you have dslr mail as your email address in your profile here and you got a reset email in it that would HALFWAY count. It would show that dslr mail is working for NEW mail since Justin opened the site up but would not tell us if mail accumulated during the shutdown can be accessed. I'm going to send myself an email to my dslr account now and then tomorrow (must get some sleep now) see if SeaMonkey can download it.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Name Game

Nah, Big Red Roo's are the problem

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to Cartel

Outgoing mail from DSLR is working.

Can't confirm that incoming mail works for anything but spam.

EDIT: Incoming mail takes at least 10 minutes to go through.

Using Thunderbird, ports 26 and 110, no SSL.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
reply to Cartel

Considering this whole thing was pretty much a major disaster, and for a time there I was wondering if the only data retrieved would be the "Broadband/DSLReports" logo, I think we're very fortunate to even be posting here at all.
So for those wondering why this and that isn't working, we must remember to be patient as far as still missing url''s, features, etc, BBR-san's.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

Check your PM's. Yanow the little yellow flashing letter icon at the top left of the screen

I saw it but I was typing so I posted before reading your PM. That won't help me anyway. I don't communicate with Gmail users and I mean no offense to any Gmail users but I refuse to allow Gmail to read my mail and profile me. I do everything possible to stop Google from profiling me and much as I want dslr mail to work again, I don't want it badly enough to allow Google information about me. I'll have to work out whatever the problem is here either in the inactive dslrmail forum or bugs forum. I have a big bunch of various newsletters especially my Dell ones that I would like to get. I am about to buy a new computer and Dell may have sent a good offer that I don't see because it comes to dslr mail.

On a side note, it was really brought home to me these past two weeks how this is the only forum anywhere that really educates its readers on what is happening not only with internet privacy but privacy in general in the USA and the rest of the world. I better understand now why so many folks are so oblivious to what is happening to privacy, hence freedom and liberty, since this is the only place where there is a broad consolidation of information and concern about these issues. There are individual sites on the net concerned with privacy, etc but only here is it all brought together by the efforts of the fine members of this forum. KUDOS to all who post here!
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Mele20:

I don't communicate with Gmail users and I mean no offense to any Gmail users but I refuse to allow Gmail to read my mail and profile me.

I understand. In my case much of my family uses Gmail so Google gets to read/archive my correspondence with them anyway They're not computer/internet savvy and that's what they were setup with (not by me).

BTW it was suggested, by that Gmail user, that I sign up with them My reply was "hell no!".
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to jabarnut

said by jabarnut:

Considering this whole thing was pretty much a major disaster, and for a time there I was wondering if the only data retrieved would be the "Broadband/DSLReports" logo, I think we're very fortunate to even be posting here at all.
So for those wondering why this and that isn't working, we must remember to be patient as far as still missing url''s, features, etc, BBR-san's.

I agree. I was very worried that dslr would never be back...I mean most owners confronted with a $8,000-$18,000 bill for recovery would have thrown in the towel. I found myself seriously wondering if I even wanted to buy a new computer because without this site I just about stopped using the internet the past two weeks...so why would I need a new computer if dslr died forever?

So, please don't anyone take my comments as crticism. I'm just thinking out loud and trying to see what works currently and what doesn't, etc. It is ironic, for instance, that I really want to post in one of the front page articles now as generally I don't post in them or even read all of them. I am very grateful that the site is back at all so please don't take my remarks in the wrong way.
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
reply to Cartel

Click for full size
There is always Twitter to keep one informed about DSLR...nice to have had it through this downtime.

»twitter.com/#!/DSLREPORTS

»twitter.com/#!/bizerizer/status/···/photo/1

»docs.google.com/document/d/1kll8···ue&pli=1

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Name Game:

There is always Twitter to keep one informed about DSLR...

ACK! I may as well buy a smartphone, sign up with Facebook, and get a Gmail account.

Bob already gets enough info for free
--

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

I saw it but I was typing so I posted before reading your PM. That won't help me anyway. I don't communicate with Gmail users and I mean no offense to any Gmail users but I refuse to allow Gmail to read my mail and profile me. I do everything possible to stop Google from profiling me and much as I want dslr mail to work again, I don't want it badly enough to allow Google information about me. I'll have to work out whatever the problem is here either in the inactive dslrmail forum or bugs forum. I have a big bunch of various newsletters especially my Dell ones that I would like to get. I am about to buy a new computer and Dell may have sent a good offer that I don't see because it comes to dslr mail.

On a side note, it was really brought home to me these past two weeks how this is the only forum anywhere that really educates its readers on what is happening not only with internet privacy but privacy in general in the USA and the rest of the world. I better understand now why so many folks are so oblivious to what is happening to privacy, hence freedom and liberty, since this is the only place where there is a broad consolidation of information and concern about these issues. There are individual sites on the net concerned with privacy, etc but only here is it all brought together by the efforts of the fine members of this forum. KUDOS to all who post here!

There are stronger security sites out there. I was reacquainted with some when this site was down.

As for email you really need a better solution. If you really need a coupon from Dell use real email provider or set up your own.
If your security and privacy are that great then losing one coupon is a no brainer. Only you can balance your reward and risk.

So far by using a choice you would not make I have not missed any emails and do not have to pay anyone or setup my own server for email using my own domains. Maybe my privacy has been compromised some but I just pretend email is a postcard anyways. I really do not care if someone knows I like Dell coupons. Heck you just posted here you like Dell coupons.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to Sentinel

Great to see that the site is back in some way, shape, and form. As of right now, none of my recent posts are on the site. My posts start in 2010! That's ancient!
--
Tom

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

said by jabarnut:

I agree. I was very worried that dslr would never be back...I mean most owners confronted with a $8,000-$18,000 bill for recovery would have thrown in the towel. I found myself seriously wondering if I even wanted to buy a new computer because without this site I just about stopped using the internet the past two weeks...so why would I need a new computer if dslr died forever?

So, please don't anyone take my comments as crticism. I'm just thinking out loud and trying to see what works currently and what doesn't, etc. It is ironic, for instance, that I really want to post in one of the front page articles now as generally I don't post in them or even read all of them. I am very grateful that the site is back at all so please don't take my remarks in the wrong way.

There are other sites for security out there. Plus sites for other interests and hobbies.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I was very worried that dslr would never be back...I mean most owners confronted with a $8,000-$18,000 bill for recovery would have thrown in the towel.

I had the same thought. That's a lot of Premium memberships! Maybe we should all pitch in to help.
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Mele20

Hi Mele20,
Not much will work for now..bringing it online to login etc. is still just experimental which is why I am trying out the usual stuff. List of what we can do is still TBD.

»/speak/slidesh···YXJ0PTQw
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to nonymous

Believe you me, Mele20 See Profile, I was thinking the same thing... that is about the money. I was projecting costs upwards of $25,000! That's what people call a fuckton of cash!

If faced with something like this, unless I was rich and I didn't care about money and threw it about like I just didn't care, I'd have shut the site down and threw the towel in.

Though, I do see massive requests for donations in the near future on this web site. We may all be asked to donate $25 or more to help recoup the costs of bringing the data back.

As for NAC, the data center that this site's servers are in... they need to dump them like a bad habit! This isn't the first time that a data center wide power outage happened. IMO, this is embarrassing for NAC. A world class data center absolutely should not EVER have a massive power outage like this. This is simply unacceptable!

I know that there have been data centers that haven't had power outages in over three years! That's outstanding and a model that all data centers should strive to live up to.
--
Tom

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

There are other sites for security out there. Plus sites for other interests and hobbies.

Oh, for sure. I've got a huge folder of bookmarks for them.
And I'm also sure everyone here is aware of that. And I, (and no doubt many others), visited some of them while this site was down).
And I obviously can't speak for everyone, but for me at least, this is my favorite "hangout", and the one I always come back to every day, with a little bit of everything all rolled up in one. (Well, it was, and will be again I'm sure).
I'm extremely happy this site is back up, even with limited functionality.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

Though, I do see massive requests for donations in the near future on this web site. We may all be asked to donate $25 or more to help recoup the costs of bringing the data back.

Works for me.

I've been a member for almost 12 years and have been a Premium member for about a decade. For me $25 isn't a high price to pay for continued operation of this site.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

There is always Twitter to keep one informed about DSLR...nice to have had it through this downtime.

»twitter.com/#!/DSLREPORTS

»twitter.com/#!/bizerizer/status/···/photo/1

»docs.google.com/document/d/1kll8···ue&pli=1

EEk! I saw your twitter links in the Wilders Security forum dslr thread but I have Twitter blocked in my hosts file. It is not as bad as Facebook but still....I don't want to open myself up to the Twitter buttons on every website now...

So, I sought other places to talk about dslr and we did have a thread going at grc.com newsgroups. I filled my time with posting in Mozilla newsgroups...much to a few folks consternation I think when I got upset about Fx 10 Enterprise SNEAKILY RESETTING MY chosen settings so that it could try and update without my consent a few days ago! I learned some unwanted things about Fx from those newsgroups while I was trying to find something of interest when this site was down. No wonder IE is really gaining in market share now and Fx is going lower and lower. Sad. But SM is not following Fx in the controversial things.

I also followed the comments at a popular forum for webhosting and some bloggers who were talking about dslreports but most didn't seem to have any real idea about this site, Justin, or what happened, etc. Maybe Twitter had more reliable information.
--