All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bryant313_t
join:2012-05-03

bryant313_t

[NV] Slow Upload Speed and Higher Pings

anyone else in las vegas experiencing higher ping times and slower upload speeds?

but your download speed is not affected

Anon
Anon

Anon

Anon

Every since they opened 8 down stream channels my pings have been higher. But the speed seems to be fine.

lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to bryant313_t

to bryant313_t
Well it makes since for your pings to be higher if your upload speed is rather low. Kind of points to upload bandwidth on the channel your on is being pushed to the max, which will result in ping times increasing. Same as if you started to max out your upload from your end, its negatively impacts your latency/ping times.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

i can no longer power boost above 2mbps and can not achieve a upload speed above 1.75mbps

i am on the premier tier 20 down 2 up before my speeds were 60mbps down and 5mbps that is with power boost of course

but for the last 2 weeks now the upload speed has been terrible can not even hardly game on
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

i can no longer power boost above 2mbps and can not achieve a upload speed above 1.75mbps

i am on the premier tier 20 down 2 up before my speeds were 60mbps down and 5mbps that is with power boost of course

but for the last 2 weeks now the upload speed has been terrible can not even hardly game on

Well have you tried to reboot the modem, and see if you can maybe connect to another upload channel? maybe its time to start running some traceroutes, and such to see where the high ping spikes are happening. I am sure you have rebooted your router, and removed it to make sure it wasn't a cause of the issue? As for traceroutes, you can always use a program like Pingplotter, and run a steady traceroute, so you can collect data to see if, and where a problem is.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

i have rebooted the modem with no success

i have ran ping test through command prompt i was testing pings to google and getting spiking pings anywhere from 30ms to 1000ms

i am on a hard wired connection to my my router and i have bypassed the router with no luck at all and i have disabled my virus protection and firewall still no dice

this issue is intermittent it comes and goes

i have had cox out here a few times and they can not find anything that is why i was wondering if anyone else in las vegas was experiencing a similar issue

also my area dose not have 8 down stream channels yet
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

i have rebooted the modem with no success

i have ran ping test through command prompt i was testing pings to google and getting spiking pings anywhere from 30ms to 1000ms

i am on a hard wired connection to my my router and i have bypassed the router with no luck at all and i have disabled my virus protection and firewall still no dice

this issue is intermittent it comes and goes

i have had cox out here a few times and they can not find anything that is why i was wondering if anyone else in las vegas was experiencing a similar issue

also my area dose not have 8 down stream channels yet

Well that will have no effect on your problem atm. as your download speeds are fine. Your problem lies with something on the upstream, and I don't think its anything homeside. As I would expect both your download, and upload speeds to be affected. So I am thinking either there is a problem with the upstream channel your on, which you said rebooting the modem has no effect. So to me it comes down to a couple things, a noise issue, which should also affect downstream when the problem is currently happening. Also a routing problem somewhere, which could be a problem on cox's end that needs to be resolved. But things like that are monitored, and should be corrected rather fast when notice.

Anyways there is many other things that could be a cause for your problems. Most likely the problem is between your place, and the node/CMTS. I suggest you discussing this with one CoxTech1 See Profile, I know site has been down. But he does have a twitter which is the same as his username on here. Plus cox does have its own forums now, and He along with a couple others, look over the forums there. So I suggest this being discussed with him, and seeing what he can see from his end as a cause for this issue your having.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

thank you for the info i will contact him
bryant313_t

bryant313_t to lilstone87

to lilstone87
it is funny that you say it is between me and my node since their was an outage a few hours before the issue occurred so i do not know if maybe it is coincidence or if it the result of my issues but what ever it may be i will post updates on the issue

and any more information is much appreciated thank you
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

it is funny that you say it is between me and my node since their was an outage a few hours before the issue occurred so i do not know if maybe it is coincidence or if it the result of my issues but what ever it may be i will post updates on the issue

and any more information is much appreciated thank you

Yeah at this point discussing this with CoxTech1 See Profile is your best bet. As he has the tools to look over things that only someone from cox can. Which I am sure if there is a problem, he will find something that is not right, and suggest what he thinks should be done. He's the one for sure to help on having an issue resolved, when there is one.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

have a tech coming out in 1 hour ill let everyone know what is going on
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

have a tech coming out in 1 hour ill let everyone know what is going on

Yeah have him check everything home side, hell even ask him to check for any signs of noise, and check over the upstream signal levels.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

so the tech came out today

first he ran some test's on the line and found nothing

then he checked if there was any power such as ac/dc coming through the ground wire

then he checked out some more info on his computer everything was in spec

its funny how my speeds are fine when the tech is here but after he leaves or the next day the speeds go to poop again i do not get that

so the tech said he will be calling maintenance and also be talking to a supervisor

so i will here back from him later this evening
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well stay in contact with him, and see what they can find out for you. Looks like he checked over things for you though. you mean checked the coax for ac/dc? as the grounding wire is there to get rid of any voltage.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

yeah he checked the coax for and ac/dc current to make sure there wasn't any voltage that was leaking into the line
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

yeah he checked the coax for and ac/dc current to make sure there wasn't any voltage that was leaking into the line

Well if they do find ac/dc on the coax, they will tell you to have your grounding checked to your place. Because there shouldn't be any steady amount of ac/dc on the line, but most the time the coax outside will be grounded, just in case any ac/dc happens to show its face on the coax line.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

yep and there was not any ac or dc current on the line
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

yep and there was not any ac or dc current on the line

Well its good everything looked OK to him when he was there. Speeds have been ok today also?
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

yep speeds were good before he showed up and while he was around and so far so good after he left

but i have seen this happen before were the speeds are alright for a period of time followed by the same issue down the road
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

yep speeds were good before he showed up and while he was around and so far so good after he left

but i have seen this happen before were the speeds are alright for a period of time followed by the same issue down the road

Well if things start acting up again let him know, and maybe they can monitor things a bit to see whats acting up causing the problem.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

yeah that is what i am hoping is that they can monitor it while it is happening

since this problem is getting pretty annoying i can not even game i am paying for Xbox live and can not play most of the time since it is just too spastic

hopefully some resolution maybe in sight

i wonder if i am the only person in the Las Vegas Market having this issue
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

yeah that is what i am hoping is that they can monitor it while it is happening

since this problem is getting pretty annoying i can not even game i am paying for Xbox live and can not play most of the time since it is just too spastic

hopefully some resolution maybe in sight

i wonder if i am the only person in the Las Vegas Market having this issue

Well I understand how you feel not being able to play the games you want online, without having to worry if your connection is going to go to shit at any time. I have dealt with this same issue, and its not fun or enjoyable. When you are paying a company for a service that is not reliable at all.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

yep and getting to a point where i just can not take it anymore
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

yep and getting to a point where i just can not take it anymore

Sounds like me just not to long ago, sadly you just have to stay on top of them till the issue is found, and fixed. Because most area's there isn't much of an option regarding internet service, if you want decent speeds. Either cable, or dsl around here, take your pick. Fios is very limited as everyone knows, but it would be nice to have FTTH as an internet option.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

what was your internet issue that was pushing you over the edge?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

what was your internet issue that was pushing you over the edge?

Uh I dunno if you seen but not to long before the site went down, I posted a thread about ongoing upstream noise issue. That I have spent a long time working with many local cox people to get resolved.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

i think i have seen the thread but did you ever get you issue resolved?

and were your issues similar to mine?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

i think i have seen the thread but did you ever get you issue resolved?

and were your issues similar to mine?

Well as for my issue, its better but rather not say much on it. As many times in the past, I thought things were better, only for it to start happening again. As for the issue, random packet loss happening often. Which would lag you right out of a game, and the modem would even reboot at times due to the problem.
bryant313_t

bryant313_t

wow

it seems that the longer my issue has gone on it has gotten worse

i get sick of having to call them and have them come out to find nothing sometimes i feel like i am going crazy because of it
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by bryant313_t:

wow

it seems that the longer my issue has gone on it has gotten worse

i get sick of having to call them and have them come out to find nothing sometimes i feel like i am going crazy because of it

Yeah I know the feeling, just stay on top of the contact you have now. The best thing you can do, knowing its someone that works local to you, and can get you into contact if needed with others on getting things resolved. I had to do the same thing at first.