Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to GlennAllen

Re: Recovery Fund

said by GlennAllen:

You're just making the assumption .....

No assumption. Net Access provides battery UPS, then fail-over to generator power as part of the Colo contract, see: »www.nac.net/business/Colo.asp?page=intro

That "contracted" UPS failed see: »www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea···t=614624

When Net Access' UPS batteries went dead, their generator failed to start. That's when BBR went dark, and the damage occurred. See the Monday 16th April entry here: »docs.google.com/document/d/1kll8···sle=true

What am I assuming?

Bob
--
Would you ever go over to Czechoslovakia, and marry me daughter for me?"

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

First you said BBR didn't contract for UPS; now you're saying they did. Flip-flop. (You're just wasting my time.)

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

PLONK!

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

3 edits
reply to dennismurphy

Our arrays are designed to have redundant local UPS' within the cabinet. The incoming power to the cabinet is split on two rails from separately fed PSU's within the data center. Preferably, each of those PSU's not only has a dedicated UPS, but a dedicated generator, but this last piece isn't always the case.

Now, we have thousands of customer's across the globe, and we RARELY ever reach the scenario given here, and I'm pretty sure the setup that I describe is pretty standard, to a degree, so I still fail to see how this perfect storm emerged.

In my mind, what SHOULD have happened, is that once the power loss was detected within the cabinet, and we would be talking both rails here, so this is a FATAL power loss situation, the Server Management should have detected the power loss, the local UPS within the cabinet kicked in and the servers SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY as there is no power coming in at all. Better to be safe and take the outage at this point.

Assuming that the generators will kick in to provide the power before the batteries die is a fail point, imo, that can be minimized by the UPS at PSU, as this would keep the cabinet from shutting down immediately in a fatal power loss scenario, as the cabinet would never feel a loss of power, and remain up giving the generators time to come up. If the generators don't come up, you've got PSU UPS power until the batteries go, and again at this point, the cabinet sees the fatal power loss and goes down gracefully.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is a facility design problem in power redundancy and/or bad server management power policy, imo.
--
DSLR Mafia
My Blog - Raising Connor
WoW: Mal'Ganis : Aftershock : Krimdal

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dennismurphy

Guys,

Can I Please ask that we move the co-lo discussion to, say, the sysadmins forum? I'd really like to concentrate on gathering funds to help offset the recovery costs. I haven't heard back from Justin - I'm sure he's a little busy - so if someone can point him to this thread and ask him to setup a payment mechanism (like, say, PayPal) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

I can spare a few bucks so pass the collection plate this way. Regardless of what happened or who's at fault, I'm soooo glad to see the site coming back to life and returning to normal.
--
Zach

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dennismurphy

I would be willing to donate some $$

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to dennismurphy

Willing to donate a few bucks. Just say when, where, and how, Justin. Been on here forever and ever and ever and was sorry to see it go down.
--
neuronbob.com