All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fotomatt1
join:2007-11-07
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

Verizon FINALLY pulling cable in my NYC apartment building!!

Click for full size
There was a notice in my building last May that FiOS installation would commence in my building soon. Soon after, conduit was placed from the 1st to 20th floor, and I thought I was home free. At that point an argument between Verizon and my building management arose about the type of wiremold they would use in the hallways. That delayed everything by several months, and then the strike happened, so everything got pushed back again. Long story short, it's been a year and till no FiOS. Verizon finally has a permit to dig in the street in front of my building, and they've installed wiremold and now they're pulling cable through my building! It shouldn't be long now! So long TWC!
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

Nice, just have to get the splice guys in there and your building should pop up as being provisioned for ordering! Shouldn't be long, good luck!
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

Just hope that ECS comes to dig the hole and build the conduit from the street to the building soon! That's when I know it will be soon!
fotomatt1

fotomatt1

Well, looks like Verizon has stopped working on my building again. They have pulled about half the cable from each unit, and then stopped, and the Demarc looks just like it did in the picture I posted last week. Blah. Why can't they just start a project and finish it?
fotomatt1

fotomatt1

For whatever reason, Verizon is torturing me. Almost every other building on my block had their build-out take no longer than 6 months....mine has been going on for 14 months now. There has been no movement since I created this post, and my TWC DVR almost never works...I cannot wait until this is done...you'd think they'd want to finish as fast as possible and start generating a return on their investment in my building!

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp

Premium Member

Look at the bright side you might get a better deal on the new speed speed packages that are supposedly coming in the coming week.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to fotomatt1

Premium Member

to fotomatt1
Back in December they were supposed to start wiring my complex. They started last week. There are 4 contractors. The complex has 2 buildings each with 6 entrances. There are 5 floors (and in the front a ground floor) and 4 or 5 apartments per floor per entrance.
For whatever reason, Verizon has decided to run individual fibers to each apartment from the basement up through a common closet. (TW Cable is run this way.)
It may take forever.
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

said by Pathfinder5:

Back in December they were supposed to start wiring my complex. They started last week. There are 4 contractors. The complex has 2 buildings each with 6 entrances. There are 5 floors (and in the front a ground floor) and 4 or 5 apartments per floor per entrance.
For whatever reason, Verizon has decided to run individual fibers to each apartment from the basement up through a common closet. (TW Cable is run this way.)
It may take forever.

The bright side for you is that you'll have fiber right to your unit. I think they're doing that in my apartment too instead of an MDU to Coax. I'd prefer this even though it takes a little longer. I'm just waiting for the last step....Verizon to connect the building to the fiber in the street. This seems to take an act of G-d in NYC.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

Actually, this may be the first building I've seen (and I've seen hundreds believe me) that they are prewiring fiber into every apartment. Most have a box on the floor in a closet or slop sink or on a staircase and the tech runs a new fiber at installation time through a wiremold. On some new buildings and renos they run a conduit with a drag to each apartment and the tech runs a new fiber at installation.
My building was built around 1937 and the copper is in the walls. It is old and brittle and in the past POTs techs have had to go out a window and over the roof. That plus Verizon's decision that any POTs line in a FIOS area with 2 trouble reports in a year will be put on fiber is , I believe, the driver for this.
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

My building is almost 100 years old as well, and I think they chose to run fiber to each unit from the demarc to avoid any trouble later on since the building is so old. I just can't believe this install has been going on for 14 months! I know the strike factored in quite a bit, but I just want it to be done already.

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to fotomatt1

to fotomatt1
Lucky you guys at least you see Verizon on your building us poor folks of Fordham Road still have no Fios(except one hospital that has its own dedicated FIOS lines since 3 years ago .) When I spoke to a couple of tech they told me if your Landlord wants Fios you would see it soon other wise keep praying he or she changes her mind and allows in.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

That is definitely what it comes down to. Verizon has enough to keep them busy without the hassle of dealing with reluctant landlords. I don't know what finally convinced my ll to cave but he did. AFAIK we are the last MDU in Mount Vernon to get it.
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

Well it looks like Verizon connected the demarc to the conduit in the street on Friday. Looks like everything is connected in the basement of my building...I'll try and take a picture later if I can. Hopefully my building will be provisioned soon and I can place my order. Anybody know how long it takes for Verizon to provision a building from the time the installation is complete?
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by fotomatt1:

Well it looks like Verizon connected the demarc to the conduit in the street on Friday. Looks like everything is connected in the basement of my building...I'll try and take a picture later if I can. Hopefully my building will be provisioned soon and I can place my order. Anybody know how long it takes for Verizon to provision a building from the time the installation is complete?

Within a week of everything being lit, it should be provisioned in the system & you can order service!
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

I wish I could tell if the installation is actually done. Everything looks like it's closed up and connected at the demarc....I'm not sure if they have to do anything else on each floor in my building.
clrana9017
join:2009-05-12

clrana9017 to Eddy120876

to Eddy120876
don't forget the University! We're dedicatedly wired and (finally) got gigabit service. But nowhere in the surrounding areas, including 191st and below, are wired.

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261 to Pathfinder5

to Pathfinder5
When they did the installation in our building early this year, they ran fiber through the wiremold in the hallways to each apartment. All the installer had to do was retrieve it from there and complete actually pulling it into the apartment.
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

It looks like there's only fiber going to a box on each floor in the fire stairs from the basement. The wiremold is installed, so I assume the installer pulls a new strand of fiber from the fire stairs to each unit during the install.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to clrana9017

to clrana9017
Cirana

wow wish i was that close to having it on my building
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

said by Eddy120876:

Cirana

wow wish i was that close to having it on my building

Looks can be deceiving....this install has been going on for 14 months, and even though I think it will be done soon, verizon is still telling me 6 - 12 months when I call them.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Hey Fotomantt

unfortunately i been waiting for Fios for 3 years
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

said by Eddy120876:

Hey Fotomantt

unfortunately i been waiting for Fios for 3 years

Did they start your install yet? Mine was started 14 months ago...they placed conduit in my building between the basement and 20th floor and then just stopped. It finally resumed again 4 months ago, and it looks to be nearly complete, but who the heck knows? Nobody at Verizon or in my building has any info. Every week I have another problem with TWC, and they think I'm bluffing when I call them up and tell them FiOS is almost in my building. Can't wait to call them up and cancel!
clrana9017
join:2009-05-12

clrana9017

at least you haven't been waiting for seven years like me. I remember when the advertisement first came out in 2005 for 5/2 and I ordered their service. The reps said everything was going well and I had an appointment. I cancelled everything that day and they never came. When I called them about it, they said FiOS was not available in my area yet. The fact that buildout in NYC is this slow makes me hate Verizon a little more each day.
clrana9017

clrana9017 to fotomatt1

to fotomatt1
Just called my Verizon local office about it. They said that for the next six months, there are no installs for FiOS registered in my area. Well, I give up.
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

said by clrana9017:

Just called my Verizon local office about it. They said that for the next six months, there are no installs for FiOS registered in my area. Well, I give up.

In reality, I think the people you talk to on the phone have no clue. They're still telling me 6-12 months, but the build out in my building is almost complete. They even told me FiOS isn't available in my part of the city yet! When I came out of my building this morning, I saw that overnight Verizon closed up the hole they dug in the street to connect my building to the fiber in the street, so it has to be getting near the end.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to fotomatt1

to fotomatt1
nope Fotomatt

They haven't even lay out the fiber on the utility poles and that sucks. I call VZ and spoke to tech but no clear ideas as to when. All they keep saying is "you will get it soon" and thats it
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

It takes a while....even after they have it on your utility poles (or in my case underneath the street) it could take years before they wire your apartment building if you live in one. If you're in a house you have a much better shot, but apartment building are a pain in the butt because the landlord / management company / co-op board has to want it in their building and allow them to install it. I'm lucky that I know I should have it in the next couple of months no matter what, but I have been waiting two years so far.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

fotomatt

thats my problem and biggest fear. You see I kept saying it here on DSL my building is a cluster F*ck when it comes to letting new tech in. Had so many issues with then just trying to get a single sat for every building(where I live it consist of 4 buildings connected and manage by one company) and this F*ckers block the direct tv and dish network join venture, because of some stupid rule aka=we want money under the table. Incase anybody ask how I know this simple. They block any solution that both companies came up and that included 4 million dollar insure for any structural damages and 4 million dollar more for any water or fire damage. Yet they say no because they wanted more. So both companies manage to get 99% of the tenants signature and yet they block it by saying both companies were anti competitive to Cablevision.
fotomatt1
Easton, PA

fotomatt1

So last night my building handy man told me that the Fios installation has been completed in my building, and that someone from Verizon stopped by to confirm that everything was working and even had a computer connected. How long should it be before I can actually order service? It's still showing up on the website as not available.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

Most buildings I have seen have a "Show and Tell". Vz will come out and install a FIOS line in a common area and have a sales force come out to go over things.