spc
Search similar:

uniqs

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Black Star Photos

Since some previous picture posts are being liberated by data recovery sorcerers, here are a some shots of a favorite hiking/biking trail taken the weekend before the site went down.

Black Star is an epitome of the Santa Ana Mountains. Sun-baked slopes, shady canyons, massive rock formations, wildlife, flowers ... it's all there.

Some steep switchbacks along the face of the climb present a challenge to out-of-shape guys like me, but offer dramatic views in exchange for the effort.

A dry winter means a less abundant wildflower season, but there is still plenty of eye candy.

Songbirds are at their territorial "hey, look at me" peak right now. Since my current lens investment doesn't allow me to zoom in from far away, I have to rely on other techniques. I look for young females with low self esteem and tell them how pretty they are so they let me get close.

I made the trek to the waterfall, but didn't get any shots of the falls worth posting. The creek bed is beautiful, though. Just steer clear of the poison oak.

Never tired of seeing the rocks. I just wish the scale was easier to convey in 2 dimensions and 1600 pixels.

Shortly after I stopped to take some pictures of a flowering shrub, I heard the familiar sound of a hummingbird and caught a blurry shot of this guy snacking.

Enjoy and welcome back.

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

1 edit

Waldothe3rd

Premium Member

So, my 16 y.o. daughter (insert appropriate amount of drama here) claims that Black Star Canyon is the scene of many satanic rituals and is haunted. One would never know it from your pics.

Then again, just what was the purpose of your hike?

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

We touched on this in an earlier (or later, given that it's 2010) thread. Rumors abound, probably due in part to the security fencing along part of the main road. Edwards Ranch and a mining operation are closed off.

The scariest thing I've ever seen in there was a tick. I hate those f_kers. The trail to the falls is pretty overgrown. I had to nearly crawl for part of it. When I got home, I found two on me. Probably should have checked before I got in the car to go home.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
Dang you No_Strings and your misleading topic titles!!

I was expecting something more along these lines:

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

I'd rather be taking photos of her than some goldfinch, but my luck doesn't run that way. Sorry for any confusion. Maybe if I'd said Black Star Canyon ... naw, let's not.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to dogma

Premium Member

to dogma
Mmmmmmm.