how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

[OOL] CableWiFi

I was scanning the available WiFi spots yesterday and I saw the usual TWCWiFi, optimumwifi and xfinitywifi. However, I also saw a new SSID called CableWiFi with the same signal strength as the other three. Just for fun I tried connecting, it connected and I was able to access internet data (I have auto-signon enabled on Optimum WiFi). Driving around a large area I am seeing the CableWiFi SSID wherever there is a Optimum WiFi node and it works.

I am wondering if the three cable companies are migrating to a single SSID called CableWiFi instead of all having their own unique SSID's. Certainly makes for easier network management.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
IS the speed the same?

n2jtx

Glen Head, NY
I haven't checked that yet. I was just surprised that it allowed me to connect, browse and retrieve mail without needing to sign on. I assume that it retrieves the authentication from the appropriate ISP system, assuming it is a consolidation of the TWC, Comcast and Cablevision WiFi systems. The real test would be to connect from a device that is not registered and see what signon screen appears. That might help with the identification of this SSID.
--

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to n2jtx
Its definitely part of cablevisions access points. My iphone gets a search domain of optimum for both my speeds are a little different on both and ips are different though.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to n2jtx
its cablevision.
another SSID in the mix with the existing ones.
--

Anon
Cablevision now has a partnership with Brighthouse networks in Florida and are sharing hotspots. Cablewifi is the SSID that Brighthouse subs should use, although it may work for CV subs too.

TheMole

join:2001-12-06
USA
reply to n2jtx
i'm stopped in newark, nj right now and see the same thing.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Thats kind of cool.. My parents have Brighthouse down in Tampa

n2jtx

Glen Head, NY
I searched to OOL site and found this article:

»optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers···ustomers

Apparently CableWiFi is only to be used by Brighthouse customers when they are in Cablevision territory AND there is supposed to be an option to indicate you are a Brighthouse customer. I would like to see that signon screen at some point. I wonder if there are other options too.

It is interesting that it works for Cablevision customers. Neither TWCWiFi or xfinitywifi work unless you are a customer of theirs so perhaps CableWiFi is going to be a "wildcard" type service.
--

Anon
reply to n2jtx
CableWifi in Brighthouse territory gives you 2 options on the splash login screen. Has an Optimum logo and a Brighthouse logo to choose from. Not sure how it looks in Cablevision territory.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

It is interesting that it works for Cablevision customers. Neither TWCWiFi or xfinitywifi work unless you are a customer of theirs so perhaps CableWiFi is going to be a "wildcard" type service.

They both work for CV customers, all three are interchangeable for all customers.

n2jtx

Glen Head, NY
said by matcarl:

said by n2jtx:

They both work for CV customers, all three are interchangeable for all customers.

I didn't know that. Last time I tried one of the others, I was prompted to login with an id on their system. I had not tried it since I registered my device for auto signon.

Back to my original thought, perhaps the four companies should get together and come up with a single SSID to cover all systems. CableWiFi certainly makes sense.
--

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
said by n2jtx:

said by matcarl:

said by n2jtx:

I didn't know that. Last time I tried one of the others, I was prompted to login with an id on their system. I had not tried it since I registered my device for auto signon.

Back to my original thought, perhaps the four companies should get together and come up with a single SSID to cover all systems. CableWiFi certainly makes sense.

Yes, you would have to sign in once to each of the three providers using your CV ID if the device is not registered, but Xfinity & Time Warner will take CV subs and CV will takes their subs also. They all signed a deal to do that for each other.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

It is interesting that it works for Cablevision customers. Neither TWCWiFi or xfinitywifi work unless you are a customer of theirs

That's not correct, you know. I have accessed both TWCWiFi and xfinitywifi hot spots plenty of times, as a Cablevision customer, and have no problem connecting to either. As I recall, they setup access so if you subscribed to any one of the three, you were supposed to have access to all three. Why would you say TWCWiFi and xfinitywifi hot spots don't work for CV customers?

StudioTech
Off The Air

join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ
Every time you see TWC or Xfinity, you should also see optimum (unless you're outside of NY/NJ/CT/PA or FL at this point) so there's really no need to sign in to either of them.

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
Not true. Sometimes I don't see CV but I see one of the others or sometimes they have a stronger signal than CV.

n2jtx

Glen Head, NY
reply to n2jtx
In today's morning news, there is an explanation as to what "CableWiFi" is: »news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574380···e-wi-fi/

On Monday, Bright House Networks, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox Communications, and Time Warner Cable announced on the first day of the Cable Show here that they'd enable each other's broadband customers to access their metro Wi-Fi hot spots. The companies are calling the new network "CableWiFi," so that subscribers will be able to find the hot spots when they're roaming outside their own cable territory.
--

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
This can be very usefull since att and verizon are doing away with unlimited data.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
said by majortom1029:

This can be very usefull since att and verizon are doing away with unlimited data.

the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if CableWiFi soon became limited as well :/
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
I got a CV sales call the other day and when he was hanging up he mentioned that they have a partnership with Comcast and some others so I can use their wifi in other areas of the COUNTRY (My lie was that I travel for work so i didn't need Home Phone or TV service - reality I just watch whatever I use netflix and other online mediums instead but I do have basic cable but with my ClearQAM TV).

So maybe this CableWiFi will be the combined one for all of them instead of specifying 3-5 different SSIDs.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if CableWiFi soon became limited as well :/

If cablevision hasnt setup data limits now and wifi has been cap free for the past 2 years why would the start now?

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to n2jtx
Five of the nation's largest cable companies are partnering to allow their subscribers free access to each others' Wi-Fi hot spots in cities across the U.S.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574380···pStories

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

said by MxxCon:

said by majortom1029:

If cablevision hasnt setup data limits now and wifi has been cap free for the past 2 years why would the start now?

cellphones used to have unlimited data too...
Why would they start now? To get more money.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
said by MxxCon:

Cablevision had caps and got rid of them. Why bring them back again?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

I suspect they can differentiate themselves from the cell phones companies by being a real broadband network and if they have caps, have very high caps.

The advantage wi-fi would have compared to cell phones is the infrastructure is designed for high bandwidth because it is the cable infrastructure. The disadvantage is that coverage is not as complete as with a cellphone. So I suspect they will use the ability to allow higher total bandwidth(versus mbps) as a "selling point".
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
said by TheWiseGuy:

said by MxxCon:

I suspect they can differentiate themselves from the cell phones companies by being a real broadband network and if they have caps, have very high caps.

The advantage wi-fi would have compared to cell phones is the infrastructure is designed for high bandwidth because it is the cable infrastructure. The disadvantage is that coverage is not as complete as with a cellphone. So I suspect they will use the ability to allow higher total bandwidth(versus mbps) as a "selling point".

I think money wise it would be a wash. Cablevision would use its own hfc as the backbone where as the cell towers need backbone run to them So cablevision would spend the money on putting out more access points.

Once that new standard thhat allows a device to roam from AP to AP without reauthorizing gets completely finished cablevisions wifi can act just like a cell network.