how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon

Using extremely long passcodes on home Wifi using Smartphone

As most know it, for more wifi security, we must use a long passcode like here:
»www.grc.com/passwords.htm

But, what if I want use my Smartphone to browse the net using WiFi connection??? That means, using these long codes and being able to enter them under my SSID access point information logon screen, will just take a very very long time.

So will it be OK to shed down these characters to like 10 characters? I used a mix of various characters also, but the maximum characters I used is 10.

I just want to avoid spending much time to enter these onto my phone. And I know once done, it will remember the connection once I am in the range anyway.

Thanks.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2

You do not "HAVE TO" use a long passcode, just use something thats not easily guessable. WPA/WPA2 cant be brute forced if you do this, just too many combinations.

A good password would be p@s5w0r!o using many different letters and stuff. No need for 25 car passwords .
--
I hate idiots and stupid questions. If you dont know something, figure it out the best you can, if that fails, then ask someone

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2

And with the WPS reaver hack. It does not matter what your password is, it can be broke by brute forcing the WPS pin and making your router just GIVE OUT the password!

[+] Received M3 message
[+] Sending M4 message
[+] Received M5 message
[+] Sending M6 message
[+] Received M7 message
[+] Sending WSC NACK
[+] Sending WSC NACK
[+] Pin cracked in 1927 seconds
[+] WPS PIN: '22537843'
[+] WPA PSK: 's1570864c'
[+] AP SSID: 'Aintryt'
root@root:~# 

--
I hate idiots and stupid questions. If you dont know something, figure it out the best you can, if that fails, then ask someone

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Just do as I did

save the passcode in an e-mail draft in g-mail
then on the phone pull it up and copy/paste it into the phone

also disable WPS if you can

Anon

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am indeed using WPA2-Personal with AES encryption.
Yes, I knew about the WPS flaw, but luckily my Cisco WRVS4400N does not have that feature.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 edit

What kind of smartphone and what OS does it run?
Do you sync with Outlook?

Some options include...

I have an iPod Touch (4th Gen) and sync with both Outlook 2010 and SkyDrive. I also use a 63-character random ASCII key (from GRC as you linked to) and transfer the code to my iPod Touch via an Outlook Note and iTunes. I can then simply copy-n-paste the new key into the wireless network properties on the iPod.

»support.apple.com/kb/HT1296

If you don't sync with Outlook then you could also use the SkyDrive app to sync a text file from a Windows or Mac computer and a iOS device, ie. iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, or a Windows Phone. Create the new key, paste into a text file, sync with your mobile device, copy-n-paste the new key into the wireless network propterties then, and only then, make the change on your wireless router and other wireless clients.

»apps.live.com/skydrive

I also use eWallet to store, in an encrypted database, system passwords, credit card info, etc. eWallet runs on Windows computers, Mac computers, iOS mobile devices and Android devices. I keep my network encryption keys in my eWallet database which I sync wirelessly between a Win 7 desktop, a Win 7 laptop and the iPod Touch. Like SkyDrive you simply need to save the new key in the eWallet database, sync your devices then change the key on the wireless router and other clients.

»www.iliumsoft.com/ewallet

So you have options depending on what mobile device you have and want to use.

Personally I only change my home wireless networks once or twice a year depending on what I am doing, testing, etc and don't compromise security by using a shorter key.
--
"When all else fails try what the Captain suggested before you started..."
MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience

Anon
2 edits

My phone is an Android Motorola DEFY plus. I rarely use the Wifi anyways even on my notebook.
But sometimes, when I am sitting outside on my patio, I would now like to access my WiFi network from the patio just to check something out.

I dont use emails or share files on Wifi, just when something comes to mind while I am outdoors, then I sometimes wish that I can use the web via my phone.

To be honest here, I hate using the web on the smartphone because I have to keep on adjusting the screen and stuff like that. So, maybe an IPAD would be more suitable.

But from a security stand-point, I even disabled my SSID broadcast. Also, I tend to turn off WiFi right when I am done using it for security and for battery life.

I have chosen to stick with the 10 characters for now.
Again, I dont use online banking, share files or emails on WiFi. So it is OK. Sometimes I just want to look something up on my phone and that is about it.

Thanks.

illriv

join:2012-05-31

I think that it will just add a level of security actually as you are to have a better password that would be harder to crack.

Have actually used a passcode that was 28 letters in total and that is really something that has worked to the router's own security.

People should really make it a point to put up something that would be tougher to get through, just to be sure.