spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

HRM gay activist murdered by man on leave

Gay activist Raymond Taavel murdered in HRM by a mental patient while he was on leave...

Poor judgement has resulted in the death of an innocent man...

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 038.html

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· s-murder
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Click for full size
Here's a bit more on this news story....

»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· -lawyer/
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to vue666

to vue666
Why are media pounding away at the fact that the metal patient allegedly murdered a gay activist, when it's totally irrelavant? The headlines make it sound like a pre-meditated hate-crime. After you read the story, you find that Taavel was trying to break up a fight outside a bar. That is risky behaviour I wouldn't engage in.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· gen.html
quote:
Taavel and a friend had just left Menz Bar, a popular Halifax gay bar, when witnesses say they got into an argument and fight with a much larger man.

Two witnesses have told police the attacker used homophobic slurs during the beating and one eyewitness told CBC News that he repeatedly slammed Taavel's head into the street where the victim was found by police and later pronounced dead by paramedics.

So you would not come to the assistance of a friend who was being attacked?

noelstrom
meh.
Premium Member
join:2003-04-07
London, ON

noelstrom to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I see that the sensationalism didn't go away after our little break...sadly.
vue666 (banned)

1 edit

vue666 (banned)

Sensationalism?

Perhaps but this has been one of the lead news articles in HRM which may lead into an investigation/inquiry by the province....

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· s-murder

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· sessment

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· s-expert

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Walter Dnes

Premium Member

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

Why are media pounding away at the fact that the metal patient allegedly murdered a gay activist, when it's totally irrelavant? The headlines make it sound like a pre-meditated hate-crime. After you read the story, you find that Taavel was trying to break up a fight outside a bar. That is risky behaviour I wouldn't engage in.

Exactly. What if he was a straight shoe salesman?
Anon
Anon

Anon to vue666

Anon

to vue666
News story said:

He was released at 7:30 p.m. and was supposed to be back at 8:30 p.m.

What's the point of a one-hour leave? I don't get it.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

And he was let on leave without supervision....

noelstrom
meh.
Premium Member
join:2003-04-07
London, ON

noelstrom to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I have a mental illness. Does that mean I'm pre-disposed to beat the shit out of or kill someone? What the hell does it matter that he had a mental illness. Seriously, can we sensationalize that fact any more than it has been?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to

Premium Member

to
said by :

News story said:

He was released at 7:30 p.m. and was supposed to be back at 8:30 p.m.

What's the point of a one-hour leave? I don't get it.

No, I don't either.
How can someone be disturbed enough to be locked up away from the general public, because he or she does not or can not conform with normal societal behaviour, but then given a free pass for an hour to interact with the public without any oversight?

The accused has been repeated found not criminally responsible for past crimes, it stands to reason that the same argument will be use in this case and he will be sent back into the same or similar facility. Time will pass, the structure of routine, regular medication and therapies will keep him in a stable or perhaps improved mental state and very likely someone will issue another day pass.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to noelstrom

to noelstrom
said by noelstrom:

I have a mental illness. Does that mean I'm pre-disposed to beat the shit out of or kill someone? What the hell does it matter that he had a mental illness. Seriously, can we sensationalize that fact any more than it has been?

NO... I know quite a few people who have mental illness. One is my uncle who I consider to be one of the kindest uncles I' have...

The problem is he was known to be violent and released without supervision...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Hundreds march to remember murdered activist....

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· activist

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Hundreds march to remember murdered activist....

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· activist

It's a freakin gay pride parade... Sheesh...

Would anyone march for a straight man who got murdered?
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

The NDP have been all over this murder. Apparently he was a friend of Megan Leslie....

»meganleslie.ndp.ca/post/ ··· d-taavel

It has been one of the top topics on local HRM news....

»thechronicleherald.ca/me ··· e-a-seat
vue666

vue666 (banned) to noelstrom

to noelstrom
said by noelstrom:

I see that the sensationalism didn't go away after our little break...sadly.

And as you can tell it's your own NDP Party that is responsible for a lot of the "sensationalism"...

Isn't Megan Leslie now deputy leader of the NDP?
Anon
Anon

Anon to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

It's a freakin gay pride parade... Sheesh...

A straight man would not have been murdered because of his sexual orientation, as is alleged in this case.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Please.... Every time a gay person is murdered they always cry and moan that it's because of that...

It's a good whine for their "cause".
Anon
Anon

Anon

Anon

said by HiVolt:

Please.... Every time a gay person is murdered they always cry and moan that it's because of that...

It's a good whine for their "cause".

Gay people are murdered all the time, along with murder victims who are not gay.

But normally the murder of a gay person doesn't attract special notice or result in marches.

In this case it did, because the man may have been killed for that specific reason.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

The reason he was murdered was because a person with a very violent history was allowed leave without supervision.

Another patient was granted two hour leave and still has not returned....

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· pearance

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to

Premium Member

to
Where does it say that this guy was murdered because he was gay?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Yes, historically if a community leader or well known activist, regardless of sexual orientation gets murdered there is some sort of public event.
Anon
Anon

Anon to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Where does it say that this guy was murdered because he was gay?

I am very careful with language. I said "alleged" in one post, and I said "may have been" in another post.

As for the origin, it was posted early in this thread, but here it is again:

Two witnesses have told police the attacker used homophobic slurs during the beating....

vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

The homophobic slurs have been reported in the media and by HRM police...
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Some of you maybe interested in listening to the radio interview at this link...

»www.timslaw.ca/2012/04/1 ··· ll-dead/

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
one of my friends who works in the health care field sees this kind of stuff all the time and isn't one bit surprised by it...he assists patients who have been "released" and tries to ensure they are being properly monitored, taking their medications, etc...he has said there are WAY too many mentally ill patients who should be in a medical facility, not "out there on their own"...it kind of aligns with an article in the local paper where the police are also frustrated with the situation because quite often they are the ones being tasked to "handle them", when dealing with mental illness patients isn't what they are supposed to be doing (they really aren't properly trained for that type of work)...billions need to be poured into a serious mental health program, to ensure the people that need the help are getting it, and the ones who pose a danger are in an environment where they are not a danger to themselves or others...you could cut all foreign aid and dump that money into mental health programs...you would get much better results.
Expand your moderator at work