decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to Trev

Re: Shell shocked by TSI West price increases and no 300GB plan

said by Trev:

said by decx:

Definitely an issue for users planning on running a server (not to mention the TOS). Btw does anyone know what ports Telus is currently blocking? Other than that the 500GB DSL25 from Telus is very competitive.

They block at least 25, 80, and 443. Not sure what else as I haven't extensively tested this yet.

Thanks. Those ports would definitely be the drawback to Telus. Port 26 is fairly easy to get around, but 80 is definitely an issue.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to bbbc

I tried to give TSI the benefit of lower numbers (costs). Yes, probably 99.9% of the dry loopers in the West pay $11+ for their band rate. I also gave Telus some slack with that $5 off plan, since it isn't the published price for standalone, but as I said, it can easily be negotiated away with a Telus CSR.

On a side note, you can also demand that Telus provides an ALU 7130 VDSL2 modem instead of their crappy Wi-Fi gateways. Telus doesn't track their modem inventory, much like their bandwidth caps. Modems never seem to have to be returned to the Telus mothership.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5
reply to decx

said by decx:

Thanks. Those ports would definitely be the drawback to Telus. Port 26 is fairly easy to get around, but 80 is definitely an issue.

Yeah, it's annoying for us geeks that want to run servers at our home. But when we set up our friends, family, etc they really don't care. It's impossible to justify to them why they should pay more for something that doesn't matter to them. They'll never need to run a service on those ports.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
Victoria, BC
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

On a side note, you can also demand that Telus provides an ALU 7130 VDSL2 modem instead of their crappy Wi-Fi gateways. Telus doesn't track their modem inventory, much like their bandwidth caps. Modems never seem to have to be returned to the Telus mothership.

That didn't fly when I signed up a few weeks ago. The installer only had the wifi crap that they use for TV installs.

However, if you spend 5 minutes on Google, you can find the "tech" login which allows you to flash the factory firmware from Actiontec's site. Once you do this, you can set the VDSL modem to "bridge mode" and use your own router.

That's how I fixed my service to get rid of their crap.
--

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

1 edit
reply to decx

said by decx :

They block at least 25, 80, and 443. Not sure what else as I haven't extensively tested this yet.

Couldn't you use 8080 instead of 80?

said by Trev :

That didn't fly when I signed up a few weeks ago. The installer only had the wifi crap that they use for TV installs.

It's easy, send them away. I don't eff around anymore as I get older. I tell the Tellus CSRs what I want and require and ask them to document it in the order. I had to send an Optik TV guy away and magically Telus' Quebec office called and rectified everything. It's uncomfortable to send someone down the road, but you'll never get what you want otherwise. The TELUS guys (employees) in their respective forum have stated that the standalone VDSL modem is available, but most folks don't carry it in their vans.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

"TekSavvy is happy to announce that we are introducing new cable Internet packages to British Columbia and Alberta."

I'll to provide our apologies for this mishap. We hadn't caught it till now. Cable services are ONLY available in BC. I've notified Marketing, I'm not sure the of the next step that will be taken to resolve this.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to Trev

said by Trev:

Yeah, it's annoying for us geeks that want to run servers at our home. But when we set up our friends, family, etc they really don't care. It's impossible to justify to them why they should pay more for something that doesn't matter to them. They'll never need to run a service on those ports.

Kind of off topic, but it's not just geeks. I've gotten many questions from less technically inclined friends about not being able to send email because their non-ISP SMTP servers don't work because of the port 25 block.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

said by decx :

Couldn't you use 8080 instead of 80?

You could. But it's not fun trying to get all your users to append a port number after your domain name to get to the correct port.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

said by decx :

You could. But it's not fun trying to get all your users to append a port number after your domain name to get to the correct port.

Looks like a dynamic DNS service is the way to go if you don't want to get raped by the new TSI West rates.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by bbbc:

said by decx :

Looks like a dynamic DNS service is the way to go if you don't want to get raped by the new TSI West rates.

How about a web host?

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
Victoria, BC
reply to decx

said by decx:

Kind of off topic, but it's not just geeks. I've gotten many questions from less technically inclined friends about not being able to send email because their non-ISP SMTP servers don't work because of the port 25 block.

You make a semi-valid point, yes, but it's bad habit to use port 25 anyway because of the filtering. End users are best served by using the submission port, 587, to send their email. This way it still works on networks that do filtering, such as practically all free wifi access services.
--

doconnor_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to bbbc

I'm very annoyed by the changes too. I'm now going to have to pay an extra $10 a month (33% more) for no real advantage that I need. I'm on a mid-tier package and they've basically stripped out the package from under me. I honestly don't care if the 25mb plans are cheaper, they're way more than I need.

I signed up a couple of months back (and I had to work hard to even get that to happen with them) and now I'm being pushed into an unlimited package I don't need. I expected prices to go up a little, but not by this much, and at the time all notices were that there would be speed increases to go with it.

I don't need unlimited, I use web, email, youtube, watch some netflix and that's about it. There's no way I'm close to 300gb but it's also unlikely that I'm below 75gb too, not to mention that I'd have to PAY $25 to get the package moved to a 75gb one...

Really, if I hadn't already switched from Shaw there's no way I'd bother doing it now. I'm fairly unhappy and any chance of any loyalty to TSI has gone out the window. Something even marginally better comes along, and I'm gone.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
reply to bbbc

With my conservative $270.91 estimate for TSI West DSL and Martin's revelation, how in the hell is TSI going to attract anyone in Alberta (let alone BC)? I guess clarknova with his 50 DSL connections will have to win the lotto to upgrade.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to Trev

said by Trev:

said by decx:

You make a semi-valid point, yes, but it's bad habit to use port 25 anyway because of the filtering. End users are best served by using the submission port, 587, to send their email. This way it still works on networks that do filtering, such as practically all free wifi access services.

Ideally that is the case. Unfortunately port 25 has been as a standard for far too long to make people convert easily. In addition, port 587 isn't uniformly applied on many email servers which further adds to the confusion.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to bbbc

This is while watching Optik TV in HD

Man, TSI West better look at this speed test from one of the Telus employees in YVR, »Latest speedtest while watching 1 HD channel .

doconnor_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to bbbc

By the way, the email sent out contailed details for the highspeed package which made no sense. Contradicted the rest of the email. (Does no one vet these things?). I replied to the email (support@) on the day the email went out.

Replies? Zero. *sigh*

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to decx

said by decx:

said by Trev:

said by decx:

Ideally that is the case. Unfortunately port 25 has been as a standard for far too long to make people convert easily. In addition, port 587 isn't uniformly applied on many email servers which further adds to the confusion.

Unfortunately port 25 is also the most common way for zombies (compromised/infected computers) to send out spam email messages without the user knowing, which is why most ISPs have blocked it, else their IPs would quickly become blacklisted.

Assuming this hasn't changed, Teksavvy blocks 25, except if you have a static IP.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to doconnor_t

Well at least you got an email. I haven't been notified yet that my package and pricing will change at all.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to bbbc

I was hot to trot to go with teksavvy last year.

Some months ago I decided they were a bunch of clown shoes.

Really happy I signed up with telus a few months back.

500 GB with unenforced limits. Excellent! And with optik I pay ~ $39 for my 25 Mbps service.

It's too bad TSI sucks so bad. I really support the idea of smaller businesses giving incumbents a run for their money, but unfortunately TSI just isn't up to the task.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by bluenote73:

It's too bad TSI sucks so bad. I really support the idea of smaller businesses giving incumbents a run for their money, but unfortunately TSI just isn't up to the task.

Until they get their own infrastructure (which may never happen), it will be pretty damned hard for them to give the incumbents a "run for their money", as they are bound by the limitations of the CRTC rulings and tariffs imposed by the incumbents.

You're entirely correct, there isn't really much of a reason for the average person to subscribe to Teksavvy as opposed to Telus.

Right now the main advantage for Teksavvy DSL in the west is for users that need things like static IPs, subnets, and unblocked ports. Teksavvy does give Telus a "run for their money" in this niche market.

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1

Are there any other DSL providers? I'm starting to look around, and it seems ON is full of choices while out here we've got Telus and Tek. Surely there must be someone else, too?

bbbc

NorthAmerica
reply to bbbc

TSI Marc, since you are commenting in other current DSLR threads and I'm sure you read this one, care to comment on some of the thoughts already expressed here about the West?

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5

I told Marc that their offerings weren't competitive a year ago, and layed out the many areas that needed to be improved (for myself at least) before I would sign up with them.

Marc graciously told me he had read and understood all of it, and that most (all?) was being worked on.

Some of it was, I suppose. But judging from this point, none of it was executed properly. I wouldn't expect any kind of real answer - what can one say when their business model and execution just doesn't measure up?

To the guy asking about alternatives -

In the west there is Primus, distributel as alternatives. None of them suited my needs, then, now you would have to look.

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1

Looks like Primus beats TSI for 6mbit (they advertise 7meg, but Telus syncs 7meg for the 6meg profiles; so they're the same) with unlimited monthly transfer.

Good to know in case TSI doesn't fix their paltry 75gig limit for those of us who don't need the higher speeds.

I'm still stunned that they chose 75gig out West. Telus only filed tariffs for unlimited transfer on their network, so the only cost difference for TSI is going to be their peering. After all the criticisms of Bell's low limits and they come out West and offer 75 vs unlimited with nothing in between. Someone really dropped the ball.

kan

join:2009-07-29
Calgary, AB
reply to bbbc

I am the rare person with a 7ish dollar band rate in Calgary yay!!

said by bbbc:

I tried to give TSI the benefit of lower numbers (costs). Yes, probably 99.9% of the dry loopers in the West pay $11+ for their band rate.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
reply to bbbc

Interesting, Primus offers a flat rate for their dry loop, $7.

»www.primustel.ca/en/residential/···L-BC.htm

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC
reply to bbbc

Psssst....Telus.

kan

join:2009-07-29
Calgary, AB
reply to mactalla

said by mactalla:

Are there any other DSL providers? I'm starting to look around, and it seems ON is full of choices while out here we've got Telus and Tek. Surely there must be someone else, too?

Calgary used to have cadvision until they sued telus and won so telus bought them out.

now its just Nucleus left i think

TechNut2

join:2010-05-17
canada
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

I tried to give TSI the benefit of lower numbers (costs). Yes, probably 99.9% of the dry loopers in the West pay $11+ for their band rate. I also gave Telus some slack with that $5 off plan, since it isn't the published price for standalone, but as I said, it can easily be negotiated away with a Telus CSR.

Agree! I have collection of TELUS ADSL/ADSL2 modems from over the years. The CSR's told me to keep them, as they where old and TELUS had no use for old modems anyway.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

TSI Marc, since you are commenting in other current DSLR threads and I'm sure you read this one, care to comment on some of the thoughts already expressed here about the West?

I'm open to talking about it all for sure. If its just flat out wrong, I'm game to changing it.

I don't have all the data in front of me right now but the main factors were these: The 300 gig offer went away because there wasn't enough difference between the lower usage option and unlimited. Second, Telus has very aggressive prices and large usage options. We figured we simply didn't want to compete with it especially when we had a good offer on the cable side. The bummer is that we still only have limited availability for Shaw. For now at least. So the logic was that for lighter users we have good options and for heavier users the only real option is Shaw... For dsl you're better off going with Telus...

For existing users there was no simple answer... Truthfully, I'm sympathetic but there's no easy answer.

Lastly, I said I would focus on west stuff... So I put some pressure on to get it done. We upgraded the gear and we tweaked the prices... So many changes in the last few months. Unreal.

Thoughts?
--
TSI Marc - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.