uniqs
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

USG series: Which license covers what?

Specifically, under which annual license does App Patrol fall?

Antivirus
IDP
Content filter

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

AV - Zyxel
or
AV - Kaspersky

IDP/App (one license)

CF - Bluecoat
or
CF - Commtouch

AS
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

Makes no sense to me that App Patrol would be under IDP rather than CF; App Patrol is for filtering access to the Internet, not stopping intrusions.

So if I want CF and App Patrol I have to purchase two licenses?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

IDP/AppPatrol are using the same TCP/IP signature DB. That's why it's under one license.

AV is using it's own virus signature DB.

CF is using interactive with backend service.

You can activate trial IDP/AppPatrol service. It will download the signature file and will keep updating the signature file for two months during the trial. After the trial expires, IDP/AppPatrol will continue to work with the latest signature file it has. Unless there are major changes in protocols you're trying to block/manage you can keep running with expired license.
AppPatrol will, to some level, protect you against encrypted traffic. Skype for example is encrypted and AppPatrol can catch it. Same for Tor. Not sure about others i.e. encrypted bittorrent.

CF is interactive and does lookups for every http query to service provider. Once expired it will stop working.

CF will not protect you against any encrypted traffic i.e. HTTPS, VPN, ssh tunneling and similar. (Thus IMO CF is quite useless).

AppPatrol on the other hand will degrade your throughput (check some speed tests previously posted).

My suggestion: Subscribe to Trial and do some testing before spending money.

(Personal opinion, I would never spend money on AV or AS ... both are useless. I can see CF as useful for protecting kids at home up to age let's say 15 or less. Later they will just bypass you if they want. IDP/AppPatrol ... yes AppPatrol I could see as useful if it blocks everything it supposed to do ... I've not tested it extensively).