Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Connectivity] Upstream Bonding

Click for full size
I was so excited to see upstream bonding in West Linn, Oregon last week. Came here to post about it and -- BOOM! -- the site was down. I think it was a conspiracy!

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well now your just one step closer, now its onto wanting faster upload speeds . My ISP hasn't started upstream bonding yet in my market. So I will be happy to see it when it comes, but I will be more happy to see upload speeds increase.

slick1ru23

join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA
reply to Oregonian

Yeah, our upstream went way up after a recent upgrade earlier this year. It was 4mbps before. I've seen it 6x that sometimes, if the speed test is to be believed.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by slick1ru23:

Yeah, our upstream went way up after a recent upgrade earlier this year. It was 4mbps before. I've seen it 6x that sometimes, if the speed test is to be believed.

Well that is because of the powerboost feature comcast uses, in which gives you short burst of speed at the beginning of a download or upload. But only last a short time, yet it is enough to give you crazy numbers on speedtest's.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

2 edits
reply to Oregonian

Try this tool for testing speeds;

»www.measurementlab.net/measureme···ls#tool5

It is considered a gold standard by savvy techs for accuracy and reliability in comparison to any of those run of the mill Flash/Java based type of testing sites. It has the ability to differentiate between the "Powerboost" burst speeds and the actual sustained speeds.

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA
reply to lilstone87

I mean after the drop from the power boost, its still higher than it was before the announced upgrade. You can see the power boost drop off.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by slick1ru23:

I mean after the drop from the power boost, its still higher than it was before the announced upgrade. You can see the power boost drop off.

Well using the program EG See Profile suggested is best as it gets rid of most powerboost. The bonding has no affect on the true speeds you will get. As that is controlled by the provisioning file rate your modem has. But most the time there is some overhead used, which means your speed tier could be 20/2, but be more like 22/2.5 with the overhead they used with the provision file for your tier.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by lilstone87:

Well using the program EG See Profile suggested is best as it gets rid of most powerboost.

I wouldn't say that it gets "rid of it". It shows both so that they may be compared.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by EG:

said by lilstone87:

Well using the program EG See Profile suggested is best as it gets rid of most powerboost.

I wouldn't say that it gets "rid of it". It shows both so that they may be compared.

Is the link you posted working for you? seems to keep getting 404 error on my end.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

I don't know what happened to that URL as I've been using it for quite some time... I edited my post and provided a different path to the tool. Thank you sir !

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by EG:

I don't know what happened to that URL as I've been using it for quite some time... I edited my post and provided a different path to the tool. Thank you sir !

Well that link sends you to the same link that you first provided which is not working . Just mentioning it again lol.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

It's not *exactly* the "same".

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA
reply to Oregonian

Per Comcast, my Node is a "mess" at the moment and they are working on it. I ran the NDT test and it says 19/6.6. Before they boosted upload, I got 4ish usually on speed tests. I've seen 8 often after. But the boost, I've seen it go into the 20s and higher before going down and steadying the upload speed.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lilstone87

Did you try "refreshing"?
occasionally re-clicking a link will clear an apparent 404.
While EG See Profile's link works fine for me (Win7,IE9, MSE) different spec's may get different results
try direct to the source »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html
If that doesn't work you should check to be sure your DNS isn't misdirecting you.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by tshirt:

Did you try "refreshing"?
occasionally re-clicking a link will clear an apparent 404.
While EG See Profile's link works fine for me (Win7,IE9, MSE) different spec's may get different results
try direct to the source »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html
If that doesn't work you should check to be sure your DNS isn't misdirecting you.

the link is working again correctly, but it was offline earlier when mention. I guess there was either a routing issue local to them, or a site problem on there end, that has now cleared up.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by lilstone87:

the link is working again correctly, but it was offline earlier when mention. I guess there was either a routing issue local to them, or a site problem on there end, that has now cleared up.

Maybe they were using DSLReport's old servers?

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA
reply to Oregonian

Hmmmm Makes me wonder about those Speedtest.net results.

"The theoretical network limit is 18828.18 Mbps The NDT server has a 329.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 87.09 Mbps Your PC/Workstation has a 255.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 33.70 Mbps The network based flow control limits the throughput to 33.89 Mbps"

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oregonian

Click for full size
I have more upstream channels then downstream channels.

Santa Cruz, CA service area.

I sometimes see 30-40 Mbps upload powerboost.

EnasYorl
Thieves World

join:2001-12-02
West
reply to EG

»speedtest.comcast.net/

pappasbike

join:2005-02-18
Baltimore, MD
reply to Oregonian

One morning a couple of weeks ago I saw that all my lights on my Arris 722 telephone modem were green, the upstream LED had been yellow because of one upstream channel. So I checked the modem stats and saw I now had 3 upstream channels. Well I could't leave well enough alone and thinking that maybe there was new software available for it I did a modem reset. When everything came back up the yellow light was back and when I checked I was back to the one upstream channel as before. Did I screw something up?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to EnasYorl

I find that testing site to be a joke....

EnasYorl
Thieves World

join:2001-12-02
West

»www.speedtest.net then and compare them with the non-comcast sites.

Speed tests are only valid if you pick the peering city beyond the peering point your ISP has no control.

Expand your moderator at work

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
N. VA, USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Oregonian

Re: [Connectivity] Upstream Bonding

Click for full size
Modem Status Page

Speedtest

Looks like all of Loudoun, VA has gotten upstream bonding. (According to the franchise agreement-there is one head-end)

Even with those rather poor power levels on the downstream I am still getting good performance above what they advertise.

My question is why does upload channel 3 have -- through it?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

Most likely because channel 3 is not locked. You're most likely operatoring on 2 upload channels despite your modem saying you have 3. I've seen screenies of people who have 8x4 modems and it lists 8 channels, but says NOT LOCKED for all but 4 or whatever it is at the time.

Hope that helps. And enjoy the goodies, I don't even have D3 here.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to Zenit

said by Zenit:

Even with those rather poor power levels on the downstream I am still getting good performance above what they advertise.

It's not just the downstream power. The SNR is also too low and the upstream power is borderline. Are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ?

If there aren't any uneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then putting them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

You should really have that checked out. I'm surprised that you can even get online ! That is going to be a problem sooner or later..

satcomguy

join:2002-10-09
Frederick, MD
reply to Oregonian

Click for full size

My service went down the other day, now we have upstream bonding as well. I have not noticed any change in my upload speeds though.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
N. VA, USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to EG

It was fine until about last November when signal levels went from -4 to what it is now. The setup is as follows:

The drop cable from the tap is underground, and I am assuming original to the house, or very old. It was present when we moved here in 2004, back in Adelphia times. It most likely dates back to 1994, when the house was built. (No evidence of an abandoned drop, I would not think that they would dig it up, and there would be a bit sticking out of the ground)

From the grounding block, there is 1 splitter, 1 side going to the old in-house TV wiring, the other to a brand new RG6 run to the Modem. This was put in last October when we got service.

At the end of the new run is yet another split (put there by the tech) for the TV's upstairs. Even with 2 splitters the signal was never this low. It just magically changed one day. I did bother to check the change by modifying the wiring configuration, removing all the splits and putting the modem right on the first split gives me -8 of signal level. (This was a few months ago, when the signal level never went below -10)

The issue could be any number of things. I cant determine it, other than confirming that yes, something is out of whack. Yet, what do I do to get Comcast to determine the problem if its not interfering with service?

Surprisingly, my internet does not drop out even with these poor stats. The engineers that devised DOCSIS3 deserve credit. Perhaps a hand for the folks at Arris for making a solid modem.

I do want it fixed, though.