Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdfudge

join:2002-08-26
Palmdale, CA

DSLReports.com please help donate!

Hi to ALL,

I don't usually post that often but I feel obligated more than ever to post this.

I and most everyone else who enjoys BBR since the beginning have found this site to be so informative and useful that it has been my Homepage since 2000. I feel the need to donate at least $5 us dollars to this site to keep it up and to offset the new Hardware they have acquired.

If the owner would like to setup a paypal or any other form for donation purposes.. I think it would be ideal indeed for us all to show our support for DSLReports.com

What do you say... shall we donate.. he has worked so hard to keep this site up.. lets do this.. for the owner and for the benifit of the community as a whole.

Thanks for being here.. DSLReports we love you!

Sincerely, mdfudge
High-desert, Timewarner Cable Wide-band 50/5

I haven't missed my legacy pacbell.net static DSL 29s net, they can have it!

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

If Justin asks for money, I'm sure that many of us would gladly donate.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to mdfudge

If people want they can purchase tool points. Good idea, BTW.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
reply to mdfudge

A few years back I emailed Justin and offered and was told not to worry but donate tool points if I wanted.

I agree, I'm all for helping out. What ever way Justin would like.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

If people want they can purchase tool points. Good idea, BTW.

Yes, but aren't they still OUR money?

It would be better if we could give the tool points to DSLR, or am I mistaken?
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

I would think the tool points cost DSLReports next to nothing, plus you don't need to use them. Although if we wanted, buy the tool points, and donate them to justin See Profile. I still have 8.3 tool points, and that is after 8 years and donating 1 point.
--
Not all men are idiots. There are still a lot of bachelors out there.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

said by J E F F:

I would think the tool points cost DSLReports next to nothing, plus you don't need to use them. Although if we wanted, buy the tool points, and donate them to justin See Profile. I still have 8.3 tool points, and that is after 8 years and donating 1 point.

I can't access mine right now because we can't get to them but they are his if he needs them. I have PayPal and, believe it or not, a check book.
--

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to jadinolf

My money has already been donated, Joe.....years ago, in toolpoints.

50 here, 50 there...

Never again.
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

JukeBoxHero_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to mdfudge

Toolpoints is the way to go. I've purchased many in the past and donated them to make nice users Premium.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Retired

said by Retired:

My money has already been donated, Joe.....years ago, in toolpoints.

50 here, 50 there...

Never again.

Hi Loco.

I thought that tool points was like putting the money in the bank but what do I know?
--

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to JukeBoxHero_t

said by JukeBoxHero_t:

Toolpoints is the way to go. I've purchased many in the past and donated them to make nice users Premium.

I've done the same.
--

raz58
NSFW
Premium
join:1999-08-15
Arizona
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mdfudge

Oh I think the site is far from needing any help.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to mdfudge

Personally, I don't think users should be asking for people to donate to the site and I don't think this is the proper forum for that. It was not before the problems and it's not now.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to raz58

Yeah I think some people are forgetting that there are ads when you are annon.

One of the reasons Justin was getting archived content up in read only mode was because of the revenue and google page rank he was losing on downtime.

I am not going to speculate... well I am... but I think he is going to invest some of his profits on the site into quality backups.
--
Making procrastination an art form since Pluto was still a planet.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
reply to mdfudge

How about NAC paying for what they fucked up due to their data center's inability to do what it should for customer reliability?
--
Liberty is allowing other people to do the things you disaprove of.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

said by Harddrive:

How about NAC paying for what they fucked up due to their data center's inability to do what it should for customer reliability?

Exactley! NAC blows:( just google nac.net power outages.
--
Professional student pilot!

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

I agree. I'm astonished that a data center could be so terrible.
--
Whats smells like blue?

Anon
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

I read a story that no other customers of nac.net reported any power outage so it might have been just limited to the cabling to dslreports colo. If anyone has more information please provide the links.

thanks

Anon
2 edits
reply to mdfudge

Duplicate...

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

»www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea···t=614624

quote:
Incident report released:

Subject : Power Issues - Octagon Facility, Parsippany, NJ
Date/Time : 6/21/2007 8:30:00 PM
Description : At approximately 8:30pm on Thursday, June 21st we experienced a
power problem at our Parsippany, NJ (OCT) data center. We are still gathering
data at this point so the details may change as we analyze log files.

From what we can tell at this point the storm caused a lightning strike to a
power pole which knocked out utility power to the area.

OCT was initially running on battery power from the UPS systems. The generator
in OCT failed to auto-start. This appears to have been due to a problem with
the batteries in the generator (this is still under investigation). Once the
UPS batteries ran out of power the entire site experienced a power loss.
Engineering and Facility staff were able to replace the batteries in the
generator and perform a manual start. Once the generator was online, power was
restored to the facility. We have been running on generator for approximately
the last 2 hours. The power company is currently repairing the damaged
equipment and expects to have power restored shortly.

We are still running on generator power at this moment and we have arranged for
a fuel delivery at 1:00am to top off the tank in case we have to run the
generator for an extended amount of time. We have the ability to run on
generator as long as necessary.

In addition during most or all of this time (we don’t know the exact timeline
yet) the entire Cedar Knolls (MMU) facility was also running under generator
power. To our knowledge the MMU site did NOT experience any problems during
this time.

Additional updates to this incident will occur as we gather more data.
--
I don't have a problem!

Anon
reply to mdfudge

Thanks for that post, clearly shows Nac.net was at fault and dslreports should be reinbursed for any expenses the incur.

Anon
reply to mdfudge

Oops just noticed that information u posted was from 2007....

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

said by J E F F:

I can't access mine right now because we can't get to them but they are his if he needs them. I have PayPal and, believe it or not, a check book.

I think any tool point you have would have already been spent. Once you have access, see if you can buy 5 more points for something.

On the other hand, you can IM fatness See Profile, he's the janitor of this site, and see what can be worked out.

My understanding is that this mess will be close to, if not more than, $20,000.00 to fix. Not chump change, even if you're rich.
--
Not all men are idiots. There are still a lot of bachelors out there.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Harddrive

You can't come to a conclusion without knowing all of the details. I am sure that you won't find NAC.net publicly commenting on this so you will never know what truly happened.

While it's their responsibility to keep the power on things happen. Companies spend millions and billions of dollars on redundancy which leads them to a false sense of security. You are dealing with machines that are made by humans. Everything will fail at some point in time. What makes a difference is your recovery plan for when it breaks. If you don't have a good recovery plan in place you are doomed. You should put just as much effort into preventing failures as you put into recovering from failures.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mdfudge

This isn't the first time:

What Justin choose is one getto "data center". The exact same thing happened in 2007, power failure, generator failed to start due to dead starting battery.

This site can be hosted on any number of tier one sites like amazon for less than 100 bucks a month, fully redundant.

Justin checked out long ago and the site was neglected, the most junior forum admin sets up and verifys daily sql backups. its the biggest single fail of any forum I have seen, ever.

Its unfortunate that the community, which grew and is what made this site special was disregarded as its OUR investment in time that made the site, not the single ancient server, neglected in a getto data center that had previously proven it was unworthy.

Expand your moderator at work

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

Re: DSLReports.com please help donate!

said by :

Oops just noticed that information u posted was from 2007....

Yeah, I posted the wrong link, thanks for catching that.

»www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea···=1146477
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Reports
quote:
On Monday, April 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM EST Broadband Reports (DSLReports) went offline due to a serious power failure at their host's datacenter. While Net Access Corporation did have power backup, both battery and gas generator, the gas generator failed to come on, thus exhausting battery power. Due to this unusual power failure, it knocked out the database server, thus rendering the site useless. Compounding problem is that Net Access Corporation didn't have any "snapshots" of DSLReports data and although all data is intact, the SQL servers have no access to the database. Currently new equipment has been installed, and existing disk array has been verified as completely intact. As of May 3, 2012, Broadband Reports (DSLReports) has no clear idea when the site will be returned to fully operational. However, currently users can log on and post messages. There is almost a two year gap between the new and older posts though. It should be noted that it would appear that users need to use older user ID's when logging in. Their servers are at the Dell labs (their hardware vendor) attempting to recover the rest of the data.
--
I don't have a problem!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

It took this long to notice this? What was it like 3-4 years ago this site went down a few times in a 4 week span until NAC finally fixed whatever it was..

I like how if you go to the website they say they have great backup and stuff...
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

mdfudge

join:2002-08-26
Palmdale, CA
reply to tcope

I wasn't personally asking other people to donate, it was just a suggestion.. and it is a good place for this topic #1 being that its under the rebuilding of dslreports topic.

I totally forgot about the ad based revenue.. but who cares about that.. I have many sites generating revenue. its sorta just a thank you to Justin bringing back the site.

NAC does blow.. I can't even imagine a data center going down that hard. I would ask them to repay some of the equipment damage as well.. I'm all with you on that one.

-Peace-

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to mdfudge

Do you know a way to donate money without revealing your identity?
I may want to donate, but I don't want to provide my name along with CC#. I hope you see my point here...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...