spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon
reply to mdfudge

Re: DSLReports.com please help donate!

Thanks for that post, clearly shows Nac.net was at fault and dslreports should be reinbursed for any expenses the incur.

Anon
reply to mdfudge

Oops just noticed that information u posted was from 2007....

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

said by J E F F:

I would think the tool points cost DSLReports next to nothing, plus you don't need to use them. Although if we wanted, buy the tool points, and donate them to justin See Profile. I still have 8.3 tool points, and that is after 8 years and donating 1 point.

I can't access mine right now because we can't get to them but they are his if he needs them. I have PayPal and, believe it or not, a check book.

I think any tool point you have would have already been spent. Once you have access, see if you can buy 5 more points for something.

On the other hand, you can IM fatness See Profile, he's the janitor of this site, and see what can be worked out.

My understanding is that this mess will be close to, if not more than, $20,000.00 to fix. Not chump change, even if you're rich.
--
Not all men are idiots. There are still a lot of bachelors out there.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Harddrive

You can't come to a conclusion without knowing all of the details. I am sure that you won't find NAC.net publicly commenting on this so you will never know what truly happened.

While it's their responsibility to keep the power on things happen. Companies spend millions and billions of dollars on redundancy which leads them to a false sense of security. You are dealing with machines that are made by humans. Everything will fail at some point in time. What makes a difference is your recovery plan for when it breaks. If you don't have a good recovery plan in place you are doomed. You should put just as much effort into preventing failures as you put into recovering from failures.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mdfudge

This isn't the first time:

What Justin choose is one getto "data center". The exact same thing happened in 2007, power failure, generator failed to start due to dead starting battery.

This site can be hosted on any number of tier one sites like amazon for less than 100 bucks a month, fully redundant.

Justin checked out long ago and the site was neglected, the most junior forum admin sets up and verifys daily sql backups. its the biggest single fail of any forum I have seen, ever.

Its unfortunate that the community, which grew and is what made this site special was disregarded as its OUR investment in time that made the site, not the single ancient server, neglected in a getto data center that had previously proven it was unworthy.

Expand your moderator at work

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

Re: DSLReports.com please help donate!

said by :

Oops just noticed that information u posted was from 2007....

Yeah, I posted the wrong link, thanks for catching that.

»www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea···=1146477
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Reports
quote:
On Monday, April 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM EST Broadband Reports (DSLReports) went offline due to a serious power failure at their host's datacenter. While Net Access Corporation did have power backup, both battery and gas generator, the gas generator failed to come on, thus exhausting battery power. Due to this unusual power failure, it knocked out the database server, thus rendering the site useless. Compounding problem is that Net Access Corporation didn't have any "snapshots" of DSLReports data and although all data is intact, the SQL servers have no access to the database. Currently new equipment has been installed, and existing disk array has been verified as completely intact. As of May 3, 2012, Broadband Reports (DSLReports) has no clear idea when the site will be returned to fully operational. However, currently users can log on and post messages. There is almost a two year gap between the new and older posts though. It should be noted that it would appear that users need to use older user ID's when logging in. Their servers are at the Dell labs (their hardware vendor) attempting to recover the rest of the data.
--
I don't have a problem!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

How about NAC paying for what they fucked up due to their data center's inability to do what it should for customer reliability?

It took this long to notice this? What was it like 3-4 years ago this site went down a few times in a 4 week span until NAC finally fixed whatever it was..

I like how if you go to the website they say they have great backup and stuff...
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

mdfudge

join:2002-08-26
Palmdale, CA
reply to tcope

I wasn't personally asking other people to donate, it was just a suggestion.. and it is a good place for this topic #1 being that its under the rebuilding of dslreports topic.

I totally forgot about the ad based revenue.. but who cares about that.. I have many sites generating revenue. its sorta just a thank you to Justin bringing back the site.

NAC does blow.. I can't even imagine a data center going down that hard. I would ask them to repay some of the equipment damage as well.. I'm all with you on that one.

-Peace-

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to mdfudge

Do you know a way to donate money without revealing your identity?
I may want to donate, but I don't want to provide my name along with CC#. I hope you see my point here...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jadinolf

It wasn't like money in the bank for me, Joe.

It's all good though. I used to buy many of the toolpoints just to help support the site that i enjoyed reading the most.

I rarely used them for the site tools (ex: monitoring, ping tests or whatever tests they have here).

I would just hand out my toolpoints 10 at a time to make long time "regular" members *premium* members..:+)
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

raz58
NSFW
Premium
join:1999-08-15
Arizona
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

How about NAC paying for what they fucked up due to their data center's inability to do what it should for customer reliability?

+1
If people want to help out the site then start clicking on the ads.
--
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings; they did it by
killing all those who opposed them.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Retired

said by Retired:

It wasn't like money in the bank for me, Joe.

It's all good though. I used to buy many of the toolpoints just to help support the site that i enjoyed reading the most.

I rarely used them for the site tools (ex: monitoring, ping tests or whatever tests they have here).

I would just hand out my toolpoints 10 at a time to make long time "regular" members *premium* members..:+)

Same here.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

icex
Premium
join:2004-05-22
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to mdfudge

To those recommending to "click ads" be EXTREMELY careful when clicking google ads. If you click one or two a day its probaly fine, but going click crazy will result in Justin being banned from google ads.
--
The Gun News Blog, the latest information on the firearm industry.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

said by icex:

To those recommending to "click ads" be EXTREMELY careful when clicking google ads. If you click one or two a day its probaly fine, but going click crazy will result in Justin being banned from google ads.

Interesting. I'd never heard of this. Not that I doubted icex, just new to me. Anyone else who didn't know such a thing happens can read about it here:
»shibashake.hubpages.com/hub/Bann···sons-How

It makes sense. Google wants its advertisers to be able to trust that people clicking ad links are genuinely interested potential buyers.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

That article amazed me. Who clicks on any ad except to help the site owner? I never see ads in the first place....haven't since 2000. But when site owners suggest that folks click on the ads to help, I bypass Proxo so I will see the ads and then I would click on them. I guess the sites I have "helped' by doing this didn't/don't have Google AdSense.

If I had to see ads all the time, I would not bother with the Internet. Plus, so many are infected that it is stupid to not block all ads if you can.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to Subaru

I've been posting for years that Justin should ditch NAC and move to a decent datacenter. The speculation is that Justin gets his hosting for free. As you can see, you get what you pay for.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to raz58

said by raz58:

If people want to help out the site then start clicking on the ads.

There aren't any ads at the present time.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

Exactlly I have had my web site with several BUDGET providers... that something this major, could happen from a relatively major provider is BS, should never have happened. Especially so ungracefully to so damage things.

Makes me wonder too who else they screwed... while a major resource this is after all a love of it hobby site. Which still cost money but tool points and memberships and for the anons ads sort of cover.

Either NAC is much punier than I though or they really were asleep at the switch...

Again my own site (as unmaintained as it is... again just hobby not biz) has never had this kind of thing happen... and even if did it was their sever not mine (just data loss I had backed up... though something like DSLR is very complex even on that count.

--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

Companies spend millions and billions of dollars on redundancy which leads them to a false sense of security. You are dealing with machines that are made by humans. Everything will fail at some point in time.

Yes but web providers make their bank on that vs DIY or budget provider (even they do damn well at) But this so major a failure as to be you really gotta wonder what they promise vs had in place or properly maintained.
--