uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Continuation of Dell Inspiron 1720 mods....

First, and foremost: WELCOME BACK DSLR!!!!

Before the crash I was commenting on CPU mod for Inspiron 1720.

I posted temps and someone said they were high....

When I did the CPU swap out... I found one of the 4 screws holding the heatsink on CPU & GPU not connected at all by Dell..

CPU Upgrade went fantastic.... 1.8Ghz to 2.2Ghz.... And the temperatures actually FELL due to all 4 screws tightly installed and new Thermal Pad on GPU and Arctic Silver on CPU...

Afterward, because it went so smoothly..... I gambled on the "Un-Documeted" 6Gb Ram Upgrade... And that too went fantastic....

System flies now compared to before...

These are the cliff notes.... I have pics, but I'm very impressed with the mods:

2010: Went from Vista 32 to W7-64 Visable difference.
2010: Went from one 5400RPM drive to TWO Momentus XT Drives Another visable difference.
2012: Went from 1.8 to 2.2 Ghz CPU... Visable difference.
2012: Went from 4Gb Ram to 'Un-documented' 6Gb Ram.. Visable difference.

From Power button press to Login is 21 seconds.

WELCOME BACK DSLR!!!!! (Just had to say it again!!)
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
How did you get 6 GB? As I understand, memory chips are sold as 1GB, 2GB 4GB, and so on. If you installed it as 4GB and 2GB, then you're probably not running as dual channel.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to Jan Janowski
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
LEFT PIX Is 1.83Ghz CPU & 4Gb Ram
Center PIX is 2.2Ghz CPU & 4Gb Ram
Right PIX is 2.2Ghz CPU & 6Gb Ram

A 4Gb in one slot, 2Gb in another.
Bios sees both as what they are. Tests by others indicate there is no difference if 4 is put in top or bottom slot. I put it in bottom slot because it was easier to do.
Bios confirms it is still dual channel..

Some programs see the ram, some don't, but... Strange thing... Speed of computer (Using the Windows Program) is higher for CPU and Memory since the 6Gb ram upgrade.... EVERYTHING runs Faster with this mod, than without it.... I went back and forth a couple times to confirm that It actually was faster -- and I just didn't just "want" it to happen...

I know, sounds implausible, but it is working like I'm explaining!!

Do A Google search on: "Inspiron 1720 6Gb Ram Update" for more information...

On programs that don't see the upgrade (For example, Adobe Products-- CS6 PPRO & After Effects) Even though they "Don't report seeing" the ram... Run MUCH FASTER with it, than without it...
I've tried multiple times to overload processes, or multiple Adobe PGMS that are Known memory hogs, to see if I can force it to run out of ram..... Never encountered any issues..

From Power button press until Login screen, there is a 1 or 2 second boot up improvement on 6G over 4G.

Imbedded display manual (Intel Mobile 965) says it can support up to 7Gb of ram. In one of the threads I saw, someone tried 2x 4Gb Simms, and it fails after a slow bios search.... Which was traced to the 7Gb limitation of the M965.
Anybody know of a 3Gb PC5300 Laptop chip? 3+4=7 !

Not Kidding....
--

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
That's the thing. AFAIK, nobody sells 3GB memory chips. The increment goes 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and presumably 8GB each.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
!
Just trying to find a way to reach 7Gb ! so as not to upset the GPU!

said by Boricua:

That's the thing. AFAIK, nobody sells 3GB memory chips. The increment goes 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and presumably 8GB each.

--

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to Boricua
He's probably in asynchronous dual channel mode.
--
My Site

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
I can tell you it was a night and day speed improvement!!

If this ever needs another kick in the pants, I'm considering a T9300 or T9500 CPU upgrade.... If I can get it cheaply....

Seeing that I'm using and must have Firewire and Express cards, and new computers don't have them.... Upgrading It would seem to be the best bang for the buck!!

said by pog4:

He's probably in asynchronous dual channel mode.

--

pog4
Premium
Kihei, HI
I think you can get usb3-firewire adapters so don't let that stop you from getting a new laptop. What do you need to put in an expresscard slot?

The latest generation of Intel's mobile processors would be far better than whatever CPU upgrade you can wrangle into your current system.
--
My Site

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Using firewire to capture off camera, DVTransverter, and output to a bluray burner....
Using 54MM Express card for ESATA / USBV3 card for an external raid (ESATA), and USBV3 drive....

USBV3 and an occasional ESATA interface is on laptops, but toss in firewire, and even THINK about an NVIDIA card for Cuda processing.... and you are seriously Not going to find a new laptop with all this.... Doesn't matter if I need it... That's what they sell today.... What good is an I5, I7 chip if all it can do is email, websurf, supporting USBV3 & Ethernet only?

This upgrade ran $130.... CPU & Ram... I'm seriously considering another CPU upgrade T9300 or T9500, if I can get it cheaply...

At this point, I believe I'll wait until Thunderbolt becomes Widely available for PC's with hardware built for it.... By then I'll be considering a new raid, BluRay burners will be the norm, and NVIDIA Cuda cards will be more powerful--- Then it will be cost effective to retire the hardware I've got...

But to walk away from hardware that I use weekly..... No...
--

pog4
Premium
Kihei, HI
said by Jan Janowski:

Using firewire to capture off camera, DVTransverter, and output to a bluray burner....
Using 54MM Express card for ESATA / USBV3 card for an external raid (ESATA), and USBV3 drive....

If a new laptop has USB3 built in, then all you need is firewire... which is easily adapted to USB3.

even THINK about an NVIDIA card for Cuda processing.... and you are seriously Not going to find a new laptop with all this....

There are a LOT of new laptops with CUDA support. Here's one for $600... »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···34215269 a full list of CUDA GPUs is at »developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

I5, I7 chip if all it can do is email, websurf, supporting USBV3 & Ethernet only?

Not sure why you think this. What software are you looking to run that will do poorly with the latest Core processors?

Have you seen the video processing benchmarks (for eg) that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge can post using on-chip processing?

This upgrade ran $130.... CPU & Ram... I'm seriously considering another CPU upgrade T9300 or T9500, if I can get it cheaply...

It doesn't look to be available very cheaply... approx $100?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not faulting you for the upgrades you already did. Those seem to have been money well-spent. I'm just questioning whether or not *further* upgrades are going to be worth it.

But to walk away from hardware that I use weekly..... No...

and I didn't say you should do this. You were talking about spending more money on top of what you've already spent.
--
My Site

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Jan Janowski
Present computer works.... (Yes, Processing time is longer than current CPU's)... but the ports are there.... now.

The next big thing (Should) be Thunderbolt. Mac's have it already and there is some good and fast hardware for it for them.....

By the time Thunderbolt get's implemented in PC's (1 or more years)... There will be new external hardware, and then it's a moot point... Upgrade Everything, and retire the 'old'.

But not until then...... CPU upgrade is a stepping stone.... I know that fully....
The Mods done were worthwhile....
The Ram Mod was totally un-expected, and quite a pleasant surprise...
--

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Boricua
said by Boricua:

How did you get 6 GB? As I understand, memory chips are sold as 1GB, 2GB 4GB, and so on. If you installed it as 4GB and 2GB, then you're probably not running as dual channel.

Actually Notebook RAM is Dual Channel on each chip/slot.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
Then I can put a 1 GB and a 4 GB and still run dual-channel mode?

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jan Janowski
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
See attached..... Interested in purchasing the 2Gb Ram I removed?
--

pog4
Premium
Kihei, HI
That last pic is informative. It shows you in symmetric dual channel mode. Heh, I guess Shootist See Profile is correct.

This helps me out since I have a bunch of laptops to rebuild and sell... I was going to try and match RAM, ending up with 1GB+1GB and 2GB+2GB systems. I feel more comfortable doing 2GB+1GB sticks in each now!
--
My Site

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
reply to Jan Janowski
All I can tell you is it breathed life into this laptop...
--