spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

[DVR] DVR menu outage

I'm suprised that no one made a thread yet about the issue yet but basically according to Comcast support there was a national outage with Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes yesterday. I came across this issue around 5pm eastern when I went to watch a recorded program on one of the DVR's only to find an error message displayed when I pressed the "My DVR" button informing me that the "service is unavailable and to try again later or contact my cable provider". I first rebooted to no avail, waited a half hour, and the issue remained so I contacted Comcast and was told that it was a known outage by a recorded message. After being on hold for 19 minutes I was informed by technical support that as of 20 minutes ago he recieved an email informing him that this issue was now a national outage with the Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVR's and that there was no timeframe as to when the service would be restored or even a cause of the outage in the first place. What's wierd is that when I pressed the menu button on both my DVR devices I was seeing a whole new list of menu options both in the quick menu as well as the main menu, but as of today everything seems to have gone back to the old settings prior to the outage. I'm thinking maybe something glitched and instead of an internal test system getting the update, it got sent out to everyone before it was quite ready.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

so now they don't even test updates and some how mange to F* it up on the national level. At least it's the SA systems only.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
I wonder if it was some bad Guide data. Even with a Motorola box, the guide data was a bit flaky Wed and Thu. Discovery had many large chunks of 'To Be Announced'. These were not the basic 30-minute blanks, but hour or longer ones, often with (OTHER) in the description. There were also some 'Discovery Channel Programming' chunks of multi-hour. Ovation was also messed up. I also read of issues with NBC Sports, with some saying it was renamed back to Versus!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Possibly updates had to be rolled back to older versions which may have included the pre Janurary Verses/NBC Sports renaming structure though I would be suprised that Motorola customers were affected.
PAA
join:2009-05-20
Florence, NJ

PAA to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
My SA6300 did the same thing. I got the same message "service is unavailable and to try again later or contact my cable provider”, and a similar message when trying to access On-Demand. The On-Demand message also occurred on my other Cisco non DVR hd box. When I unplugged it and rebooted the display showed APDL. I also noticed the enhanced menus and wish I had looked at them closely. Since then I have noticed that although most shows recorded properly that night 3 shows were rescheduled to record at later dates.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

APdL stands for App Download I believe. Pretty cool that the programs were recheduled.