uniqs

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to ropeguru

to ropeguru

Re: Comcast announces IPv6 deployment for gateways beginning

I set up an IPV6 via Hurricane Electric and it's as slow molasses. When I switch back to "link-local only" on the Apple Extreme things speed back up again on IPV4. I assume things slow down because of the tunnel set up.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by YukonHawk:

I set up an IPV6 via Hurricane Electric and it's as slow molasses. When I switch back to "link-local only" on the Apple Extreme things speed back up again on IPV4. I assume things slow down because of the tunnel set up.

Sounds more like the tunnel is setup incorrectly and your IPv6 isn't working so it's waiting for a timeout before falling back to IPv4.

When the tunnel is up, can you get to »ipv6chicken.com ?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
I'm setup on Hurricane Electric as well using the New York setting and I'm not having any issues.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Hi whfsdude....Thanks. I saw the chicken. I should have given more detail. Most times when I am on the tunnel web pages take a while to load and paint. When I go back to IPv4 things speed up a lot. I also set the tunnel to the New York server. There could be a couple of factors at play here that I might be missing. I am not experiencing any packet loss or latency issues on either IPvx connection. I am running an Apple Extreme 5th gen and the settings are limited. But I was able to set up things manually as directed by H.E. (I had an older DIR-655 but it did not support IPv6)

I may reach out to H.E. FAQ's and see if I could uncover something. Thanks to you and Mike for the help. Both of you have been very helpful in the past.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

FWIW, "tunnels" do indeed add *overhead*.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
Some issues with Apple and IPv6 I've read. »www.networkworld.com/new ··· 577.html

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Thanks Mike. I heard something about it when it was first reported, but this article covered it best. It's too bad that they backed off the support of IPv6 as they were the one of the early adopters of it. Supposedly Apple is coming out with a 6th gen router sometime in the 4th QTR of this year with the new 802.11ac protocol. It remains to be seen if they build back in the support into the utility.

I am running IPv6 now and it's running much faster than it was in the last few weeks. Could be because it's almost 1am and the node has less traffic it. Have a great weekend.
earletp
join:2004-02-03
PDX
ARRIS SB8200
Asus RT-AC68

earletp to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Some issues with Apple and IPv6 I've read. »www.networkworld.com/new ··· 577.html

The thing I found the most interesting in that article was this quote...
quote:
Comcast has run into the problem of lagging IPv6 support by its suppliers as it deploys the new standard across its nationwide backbone. For example, only one of its key cable modem termination system (CMTS) vendors -- Arris -- supports IPv6 sufficiently enough to be included in its ongoing deployment of IPv6.
So, since I'm on a Cisco CMTS, I shouldn't be expecting IPv6 anytime soon.

Oh well, I score 10/10 on Comcast's IPv6 readiness test, so I'm good to go if or when it finally does get here.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

said by earletp:

said by Mike Wolf:

The thing I found the most interesting in that article was this quote...
quote:
Comcast has run into the problem of lagging IPv6 support by its suppliers as it deploys the new standard across its nationwide backbone. For example, only one of its key cable modem termination system (CMTS) vendors -- Arris -- supports IPv6 sufficiently enough to be included in its ongoing deployment of IPv6.
So, since I'm on a Cisco CMTS, I shouldn't be expecting IPv6 anytime soon.

Oh well, I score 10/10 on Comcast's IPv6 readiness test, so I'm good to go if or when it finally does get here.

ugh the hits keep on coming for those of us on a cicso CMTS, first no upstream channel bonding and now no ipv6.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to earletp

to earletp
What sucks is that I'm on an Arris CMTS in New Jersey which is one of the pilot states mentioned »blog.comcast.com/2012/04 ··· ent.html and I'm not seeing an IPv6 address.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
Well Netgear already has an 802.11ac router for sale and from what I've read this protocol is suppose to be the holy grail of wireless connectivity (until the next thing comes around). However I think the fact that it is suppose to be 3x faster then gigabit wired connections and that alot of consumers don't even have that raises the question to just who is the market for this? I mean aside from Kansas City and that town in Maine with the fiber optics, I'm not aware of any ISP offering speeds close to what ac can offer in the states, and internal network connectivity is a moot point because at some point the computer hard drive and processor and RAM are going to become the bottleneck and ac is just going to become overkill. Anyway this is a topic for another thread :P
earletp
join:2004-02-03
PDX

earletp to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Yes, I'm sure it's terrible to know your CMTS is on the list to be upgraded and they are starting the upgrades in your state.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Well you see that's the problem right there, I don't know if it IS on the list, how long I'll have to wait, or if there even IS a list.