« NIU going to Miami/BCS!2013 Chicago cubs »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to insomniac

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot IV 2012 round II

I can 3rd that it had reappeared. I put my post about the NWS update there, then wondered why nobody commented.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Parneli

It looks like we are on the north edge of a 'ring of fire' setup. Lots of chances of storms for the next week and beyond.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

We're going to ribfest to see ZZTop on Sunday. Better not F**king rain!

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to Parneli

Just got power back

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

We got a another cell coming now.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

It got pitch-black for a little bit but seems to have blown over.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to Parneli

Major Damage around here. From Lombard straight east to the city. Downed primaries, downed trees, street lights out. All the damage without the flood, which is the only good part.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Jon

said by Jon:

It got pitch-black for a little bit but seems to have blown over.

Same here I thought it was going to be the same as on Friday. But not much all show.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to Parneli

The northern edge of the storm just brushed its sleeve in Elgin. The wind gushed for a few minutes, but there was no rain north of here. Driving down North Avenue (Rt. 64) was weird because most of the traffic lights were out; not even flashing, but out. Most of the shopping centers must have been shut down since there was none of the usual cross traffic. Most cars stopped at each light anyway. There were trees and branches all over the streets of Oak Park River Forest. My 87-year old father had to walk up to his 5th floor condo since power was out, and may not be restored for two days.

Nopower5545

@myvzw.com

Elmhurst. South of the RR tracks no power since 1pm.
Not the metro tracks but the commercial line south of St. Charles Rd.

Typing this on my att phone which has no data service but linked through Verizon air card.

Called con Ed and there is no ETA.

We have our fridge and one box fan powered by a generator from neighbors. Need to get one of our own. We are in elmhurst for 13 months

Disconnected batteries from backup pumps as wells were dry. No beep noise n will be sleeping in the basement.

I think I'll want a portable gen but wired up to a panel so I can drive circuits automatically.

We got lots of hail and I cleared out water drains around the block.

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL
reply to Parneli

Talked with my folks in Wheaton and they are without power and ComEd estimates up to 3 days. Drove through elmhurst today and there were still a lot of down trees, stop lights out and just general dark neighborhoods.

I wish I would have taken a picture, but coming into Ohare today we flew over some of those areas and there is a lot of patchy dark spots on the ground from places that are still without power...
--
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
CPL:IA;ASEL/AMEL. CFI:ASE/AME; IA

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to Parneli

Saw on WGN news this morning that the heat is buckling the streets.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Click for full size
Yep. I heard about a few pavement buckles during traffic reports yesterday. This one is in the city on Columbus just north of Roosevelt.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

I do like how the buckle happened where there was black tar tossed around. I guess the city has had issues with this section of road before.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

said by Clever_Proxy:

I do like how the buckle happened where there was black tar tossed around. I guess the city has had issues with this section of road before.

They said it was at a seam where the road meets the bridge over mccormick place. Tar was probably on an expansion joint or something.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL
reply to Parneli

The wind has shifted to the NE. The temps have dropped 5 degrees in the last hour as the front moved through. Hope the cooling continues.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

83 tomorrow! Who is up for some fishing!

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

I cannot tell you how excited I am for 83 degrees! Maybe I can finally give my AC a break.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to Parneli

Supposed to get down to almost 70 overnight tonight. Can't wait to be able to open up the house again.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL
reply to Parneli

My dog is happy now we can take a long walk, deferred from most of this week.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Parneli

While all of you suffered in 100+ heat here this last week with all your nice humidity I played nicely in the 100+ dry heat of Las Vegas.
My wife and I were very glad to not be here for that shit.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to Parneli

I can see and hear thunder storms off to the south. Looks like it's gonna miss us though. Could sure use some rain. Finally turned off the air and opened up the house last night though.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Parneli

I spent Wednesday and Saturday scraping and sanding paint off the side of my house. Brutal, but stuff's gotta get done, 100 degrees or not. It was refreshing to put everything away last night at 77 degrees instead of 95. More work to do today, but it'll be a lot more tolerable.
--

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

said by insomniac:

I spent Wednesday and Saturday scraping and sanding paint off the side of my house. Brutal, but stuff's gotta get done, 100 degrees or not. It was refreshing to put everything away last night at 77 degrees instead of 95. More work to do today, but it'll be a lot more tolerable.

I have to do that AGAIN! to my south facing windows. What a PITA.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to Parneli

ugh. My house desperately needs painting. Starting to look like an abandon foreclosure. Can't do anything until I get this stupid cast off my hand though.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Click for full size
I'm a little embarassed to leave mine looking the way it does right now in the middle of scraping and sanding, but it's a slow process and I'm not painting a thing until all the prep is done.
--

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

Do one panel a weekend

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

My father seriously suggested painting one side a year. I don't think he realized that it's a small house and that we're going to paint it a different color (green). Once all the prep is done, we can easily get it painted in a day.
--

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

My house is brick on the bottom half which will mean a lot of taping, drop cloths etc. The more I think about the more I think about just letting it go this year and setting aside money over the winter to just hire someone.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to Parneli

WTF?
I don't remember the forecast including the end of the world. Where the hell did this come from? Thunder and lightning is crazy.