how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to alkizmo

Re: Basement renovation project

wow, ok, yeah, that is somthing i would recomend you keep accessible! they do sell sealable lids at the depot, im going to talk to my basement guy for suggestions

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Why would I want to seal it? Shouldn't it stay open so any water leaking into the basement, or a pipe breaking, cause water to flow towards that hole?

If you meant a drain grill, okay, but all the floor around it would be as described in my first post. DeltaFL/MS + XPS + Plywood + Final floor.

Since the deltaFL/MS is designed to let humidity (And water) flow, then I guess I'd need to keep the floor layers exposed where it stops at the french drain?

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

Why would I want to seal it? Shouldn't it stay open so any water leaking into the basement, or a pipe breaking, cause water to flow towards that hole?

If you meant a drain grill, okay, but all the floor around it would be as described in my first post. DeltaFL/MS + XPS + Plywood + Final floor.

Since the deltaFL/MS is designed to let humidity (And water) flow, then I guess I'd need to keep the floor layers exposed where it stops at the french drain?

most houses of your vintage in our area have a catch basin in the basement for the french drain that is then plumbed or pumped to the sanitary sewer, except in kirkland where they have homes plumbed to the storm sewer as well. this french drain pit was conceived to catch what was comming from around the house and pipe it to a sump pump. not to colect what is spilled in the basement.

You dont want an open pit like that in your basement especially considering there is radon in the montreal areal.

im going to talk to a collegue who is more familiar with pierrefonds and get back to you.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Wow, you're going to get me an expert opinion for my borough? Telco, you're a one of a kind, kind guy!

And ya, you're right about the main purpose of the french drain, but I thought it would be an added bonus to have it drain away water in case a pipe or the water heater leak.

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

Wow, you're going to get me an expert opinion for my borough? Telco, you're a one of a kind, kind guy!

And ya, you're right about the main purpose of the french drain, but I thought it would be an added bonus to have it drain away water in case a pipe or the water heater leak.

thats what floor drains are for. you would be surprised about the huge differences from borough to borough on the west island... heck they were still burying oil tanks in roxboro in the 70s!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by telco_mtl:

thats what floor drains are for.

There are no other floor drains except for a little hole made to drain the furnace's condensation pump.

It would require drilling in the concrete slab wouldn't it?

said by telco_mtl:

you would be surprised about the huge differences from borough to borough on the west island... heck they were still burying oil tanks in roxboro in the 70s!

I can imagine. They each had their own water supply, sewer treatment systems, soil is different, elevation is different, closeness to the water varies.

I'm glad my municipal taxes are so much cheaper than those of Kirkland and Beaconsfield

telco_mtl

kirkland you pay a lot for that second pipe that saves the city money!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by telco_mtl:

kirkland you pay a lot for that second pipe that saves the city money!

Pierrefonds has storm sewers as well

telco_mtl

but kirkland actually has a second pipe leading into the house to take the french drain and downspout water.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

You'd think the constructors would have done that.
It's not like people can't just burry a PVC pipe a few inches under their front lawn to the street. I see a lot of sump pump pipe lines terminating through the street curb, which would lead the water to the street storm drains

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo

I have a question regarding installing a bathroom in my basement.

My drain stacks come out level with the concrete slab.
If I were to put in a bathroom, how much elevation would I need between a toilet and the drain stack to allow a split to connect a faucet sink and a stack vent?

Right now with my plans for the subfloor, I'd only get 3". So I'm guessing my bathroom floor would need to be higher than the other sections of the finished basement.

telco_mtl

what kind of stub out do you have for your toilet? if you dont want to break the slab there is always the option of a pump toilet, it lets you plumb the sink into it too and it will pump the waste to a higher drain connection.

as for your pit, spoke to my guy he mentionned after he saw the pics it was a sump pit that probably had the pump removed because it never saw water.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Here's a picture I found online of what are the stacks already installed and functional in my basement.

But I found at least one unused stack that doesn't stick out like that. All that's peeking through the concrete slab is an angled stub. It's same type of stub as picture above, but imagine only the angled split shows, and it's embedded in the concrete slab.

As for a up-flush toilet, ya that's an option. There's an old workshop in the basement location I want my bathroom to me. I'm hoping that once I remove the table and shelves (All attached to the floor) I will find a stub-out underneath. But if I don't, either way I won't have a choice to go with up-flush as I don't want a bathroom anywhere else in the basement (There would be a currently-used stack near it to link to).

said by telco_mtl:

as for your pit, spoke to my guy he mentionned after he saw the pics it was a sump pit that probably had the pump removed because it never saw water.

Ya it really looks like it as there were old rusted brackets to hold something, a receptacle right next to it with original wiring (from construction) and a stub for pumping out water.

Did he suggest a way to keep it clear while finishing the basement around it?

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

said by alkizmo:

All that's peeking through the concrete slab is an angled stub. It's same type of stub as picture above, but imagine only the angled split shows, and it's embedded in the concrete slab.

Sounds like a clean out...

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by bemis:

Sounds like a clean out...

I took the pipe picture from some website, but I drew the concrete slab line.

So I can't confirm that`s how it is underneath, but the part where the concrete is dug-out is visible. As in, the clean-out or stub-out is embedded deeper but the concrete around it was chipped away so it is visible. So it's possible the vertical part of the stack is just a few centimeters underneath.

Anyway, this may all be moot, as that stub/stack/clean-out isn't where i want my bathroom and that I'm only counting/hoping for the same thing to be found under the workshop that's currently in my desired bathroom's location. If there isn't one, I'll go with up-flush.

telco_mtl

reply to alkizmo

thats a cleanout, if you do connect to it i would recomend using a Y so that you still have the cleanout, that cleanout is very important to have.

as for your pit, my friend says put a pump in there, cover it and make sure you still have access to it

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by telco_mtl:

as for your pit, my friend says put a pump in there, cover it and make sure you still have access to it

So I'd need to dig out some of that gravel to fit a pump in there.
Sounds reasonable. I'll put a service cover with some floor tiles to match the aestethics.

telco_mtl

i dont have much hope for you finding another cleanout, in a house of your vintage it may be a capped floor drain. The mess involved with breaking the slab and doing it that way vs an up flush toilet is up to you. both options have pros and cons

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by telco_mtl:

i dont have much hope for you finding another cleanout, in a house of your vintage it may be a capped floor drain. The mess involved with breaking the slab and doing it that way vs an up flush toilet is up to you. both options have pros and cons

Well, there are already 3 functional (in-use) stacks, but yeah if it's getting complicated, I'll go up-flush and will simplify where I want my bathroom and where the toilet would be within it.

Too bad it's a good 700$ for a macirating pump. Anyway the bathroom can wait for next year.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

I might go with DeltaMS as it's half the price and the only difference is that the MS has a smell from recycled plastic.

When you say DeltaMS smell, it's toxic and permanent or it's safe and go away after a while? I am asking because you seem to have done some research on it and i plan to buy a roll of DeltaMS for a wall job and since i will have lots of leftover, i wanted to use that on the floor.

Spike facing toward ceiling or facing down?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

I got the idea from a huge thread on redflagforums (Quite big canadian forum)

»forums.redflagdeals.com/subfloor···-610572/

People were suggesting DeltaFL than others countered that MS is a lot cheaper.

Those people even called Delta customer service to ask the difference and the only difference is that the DeltaMS is made from recycled plastic while DeltaFL is all new material.

Because of the recycled plastic, it has a faint smell. I found a few rolls at Reno Depot that I took to smell. I couldn't tell if it had a smell. If it has one, it must be extremely faint (The store already had a smell of lumber).

Spikes fancing are facing down.

Did you order the DeltaMS? Because Reno Depot only carried the 5 feet wide rolls. I want the 6.5 feet wide rolls, I guess I'll have to order it at the hardware store.

XoX

Qc, Canada

said by alkizmo:

I got the idea from a huge thread on redflagforums (Quite big canadian forum)

»forums.redflagdeals.com/subfloor···-610572/

People were suggesting DeltaFL than others countered that MS is a lot cheaper.

Those people even called Delta customer service to ask the difference and the only difference is that the DeltaMS is made from recycled plastic while DeltaFL is all new material.

Because of the recycled plastic, it has a faint smell. I found a few rolls at Reno Depot that I took to smell. I couldn't tell if it had a smell. If it has one, it must be extremely faint (The store already had a smell of lumber).

Spikes fancing are facing down.

Did you order the DeltaMS? Because Reno Depot only carried the 5 feet wide rolls. I want the 6.5 feet wide rolls, I guess I'll have to order it at the hardware store.

Thanks for the information.

I did not order or buy anything yet since in my case i need to level the floor with a few inch of concrete because half of the floor is rock (a big $%@% rock with a small layer of a sealant but it's breaking down).

On Rona website i saw DeltaMs in roll of 6,5 by 66...

did you look at one made by Platon?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

My bad, I thought you said you HAD a lot left over (And not WILL have a lot).

Ya Rona and Reno depot can sell it, but you have to order it (they don't hold it in stock).

Platon is okay too, but it has a lot less compressive strenght (cannot carry as much weight per square foot).

XoX

Qc, Canada

said by alkizmo:

My bad, I thought you said you HAD a lot left over (And not WILL have a lot).

Ya Rona and Reno depot can sell it, but you have to order it (they don't hold it in stock).

Platon is okay too, but it has a lot less compressive strenght (cannot carry as much weight per square foot).

i am buying soon if thing are going the right way but for now i am budgeting the thing...

The trouble i have now is determining the best way of anchoring rebar or galvanized rod into the wall because before i put the membrane, i need to pour a slap and something like a small pony wall to level thing. The builder when the house was build only poured some concrete on top of the rock (a cap of rock) and it followed the shape of it so it's far from be leveled.

On the ground i am thinking of using hydraulic cement (for now) because it's supposed to expand and should jam them there and prevent water. These rebar will be to prevent the new concrete from sliding on top of the old one with that stupid big slope.

For the wall, i am not sure. I have read about anchoring adhesive like Sika and Quickrete but the one that fit my need seem to require a special gun to apply and they cost a lot.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Have you considered self-leveling compound? It might be a lot of compound, but some contractors can lay it down for you and the material cost would be at bulk.

XoX

Qc, Canada

Yes but it will not work because i can not fix the whole elevation difference unless i pour at some place at least 1 feet to equalize the high.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Yeah I guess you'll need them to go grind up the surface of the concrete slab, then pour more concrete over it to balance everything.

Of course, if the floor is still flat, but angled, then it should be "okay" because you still want a slope for if the basement gets flooded and you want water to accumulate in a low point where your french drain/sump pump should be.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo

This is my current NG stove setup. Very basic.

Current setup

Anyone has recommendations as to what to do for the NG stove?

I'm thinking of putting new stylish stones over the old bricks (Don't want to bother removing them) and use other stylish stones for the corner wall behind it.

A bit like this

or that

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to alkizmo

Nicest sump system I've seen
»www.libertypumps.com/Products/Ca···=28&c=14

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

The brand or that model specifically? Do you know how much it runs at? There is a dealer within 10 miles of my home.