spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

What are the local county rules on scooters/mopeds?

...for the Monterey area?

I'm thinking about possibly getting a moped or a small motorbike (80-120cc) to use for commuting and tooling around town instead of always using my car.

Last time I rode a Yamaha 50, I got pulled over and cited for not having a motorcycle license. That was back in the early 80's. I still don't have a motorcycle license and would prefer not to have to get one.

In any case, so far since I've been up here I'm getting about two weeks off a tank of gas. I thought I'd get better mileage but it's so darn hilly around here it's taking it's toll on my MPG.

- FM

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa

Mod

It appears that you need a M1 license for mopeds or motorbikes but you don't need a special license for scooters.

»www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycl ··· cles.htm

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

1 recommendation

FutureMon

So looks like I'd need an M1 license anyways. I doubt those "scooters" would be able to make it up some of the hills I drive to and from work.

Thanks!

- FM

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

You are welcome.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
you should get a M1 anyway. Motorcycles would drive the ladies nuts...

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to FutureMon

to FutureMon
I highly recommend taking a motorcycle course to get your M1 license. Completing the course will provide a waiver to doing the DMV motorcycle course test. And it really does drive some ladies nuts. You'll see.

BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

BIGMIKE to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Three wheeled motorcycles or a motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. California Vehicle Code (CVC) §12804.9
macmouse
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Carlsbad, CA

1 recommendation

macmouse to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
I'm surprised they finally classified and made it legal to drive a "scooter".

I remember thinking about getting one while I was in high school but they were not legal to use on the road under any circumstances and I didn't want to risk getting busted for using one. Their motors also tend to be very small two stroke engines, which require a bit of tinkering to keep working.

Looks like they have given up and are giving a pass on them. It looks like there is zero safety or emissions standards for them, while real motorcycles do.

It's hard to argue the coolness factor of a "real" motorcycle but I think motor-scooters are a bit more practical day to day.

If you haven't picked up something already, I recommend you look at a honda elite (»powersports.honda.com/20 ··· ite.aspx). It has a *ton* of storage (for a two wheel vehicle) and it should have plenty of zip for going around town. I had an older one (120cc) that could comfortably go 50-55mph and I just loved it.

From the review's I've read, It can fit TWO full size helmets under the seat, it has a glovebox, a hook to hang grocery bags AND there is an optional rear rack to put a small trunk or milk crate.

Jammy
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA

Jammy to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Good luck in your choices Patrick. I did not even know if it was possible for anyone to live in the Monterrey area. Too many hills.

FutureMon on a scooter? You must take a picture and send it to me.

Jammy

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

1 recommendation

FutureMon

Click for full size
Actually a friend of mine is selling this bike for $300. It needs an oil pump (which costs about $60).

It's a Suzuki GZ250 (20hp 2 stroke, 70mph top speed, 82mpg)

I'm quite close to snatching it up; only problem is that it is in LA and I would need someone to pick it up and store it for me until I could come down and get it, bring it back up here and take it to a mechanic to get the oil pump replaced...

- FM

Jammy
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA

Jammy

Premium Member

Nice bike Patrick! Look for a message from me.

Jammy

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

The deal didn't go through. At first the seller told me it just needed an oil pump. When I asked what her mechanic actually said, it turned into he said that he was just going to replace the entire engine because it was easier.

big red flag = no sale.

- FM