how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Slant1

@64.250.95.x
reply to BliZZardX

Re: Standard Broadband

They offer far higher speeds on the business side, look at the web site and hit the business link. www.standardbroadband.ca. i called and if you want any speed up to 330Mbps it is available. no use on the home side but cool...

eotsuka

join:2005-08-15
reply to Immortal

Does anyone know who they peer with? I rather not get stuck with a ISP who only has one transit provider with horrible routing.

If anyone on the service can run a traceroute to the following addresses it would be appreciated.

voip.freephoneline.ca
toronto.voip.ms

Thanks

IPGuy

@64.250.95.x

I have them installed at my home in Milton, in speaking to them they have three large upstream providers and also peer with a number of other networks via some private peering arrangements. From what I can tell they peer with Cogent, NAC, and Bell.

Network seems solid had it installed now for a few weeks, they also have a number of licensed backhaul links between their sites.

eotsuka

reply to Immortal

I'm not too sure if I am allowed to post this but there is a deal right here. »takeitandgo.ca/localdeals/show/M···and-deal

I purchased, and will pay $199 for the install. I will test it out and let everyone know when it is installed. 15/1.5 Mbps Unlimited Usage for $44 dollars/month isn't too bad I guess.

eotsuka

reply to Immortal

So I just got my service installed and I must say I'm impressed!

Installed came on time and installed the fixed wireless device.

It looks like this installed - you can barely see it from the street/sidewalk.

The installed showed me maximum theoretical speed to be 27/10. However I only pay for 15/1.5 so I will never have that speed :(. The nice thing is that I won't need to worry about is my usage as it is unlimited.

Some traceroutes

Tracing route to google.ca [74.125.226.63]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
  2     3 ms     6 ms     4 ms  199.115.90-1.ip.mltn.standardbroadband.ca [199.1
15.90.1]
  3    24 ms     6 ms     8 ms  10.2.98.1
  4    14 ms     8 ms     8 ms  64.250.95.217
  5    12 ms    27 ms    21 ms  ge0-0-427.tor.toron02core1.iasl.com [206.210.107
.193]
  6    12 ms    23 ms    16 ms  206.210.108.242
  7    15 ms    12 ms    14 ms  gw-google.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34
.6]
  8    24 ms    18 ms    14 ms  216.239.47.114
  9    21 ms    13 ms    14 ms  64.233.175.132
 10     *       20 ms    17 ms  yyz06s06-in-f31.1e100.net [74.125.226.63]
Trace complete.

Tracing route to dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
  2     3 ms    23 ms    14 ms  199.115.90-1.ip.mltn.standardbroadband.ca [199.1
15.90.1]
  3     7 ms    23 ms     6 ms  10.2.98.1
  4     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  64.250.95.217
  5    27 ms    14 ms    25 ms  ge0-0-427.tor.toron02core1.iasl.com [206.210.107
.193]
  6    24 ms    21 ms    59 ms  69.77.176.21
  7    17 ms    13 ms    12 ms  66.199.34.62
  8    15 ms    22 ms    27 ms  66.199.39.106
  9    66 ms    45 ms    57 ms  gw-nac.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.38
]
 10    35 ms    66 ms    41 ms  0.e1-4.tbr1.oct.nac.net [209.123.10.122]
 11    40 ms    48 ms    29 ms  vlan804.esd1.oct.nac.net [209.123.10.2]
 12    29 ms    39 ms    27 ms  www.dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

Trace complete.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Peering and latency looks good. Nice.

eotsuka

I've been playing with the internet connection I see that they peer with

TORIX
Cogent
Cogeco Data Services

neptune54

join:2006-07-31
reply to Immortal

How its their customer service and support and reliability?

redlow

join:2008-01-02
Milton, ON
reply to Immortal

I just signed up, installation on Monday. It looks very good, and I haven't seen anything in this forum yet that makes me think it was a bad idea I am looking forward to getting off cable

neptune54

How'd the install go? And how is the service?

maxmonty

join:2004-06-18
Oakville, ON
reply to Immortal

Bah, tried for this but they couldn't get a signal at my place . Had my hopes up as I'm in an internet dead zone in Halton Hills :(:(

BThunderW

join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON

2 edits
reply to Immortal

Has anyone on their end bothered to proof the site? Grammar, spelling is horrendous

»standardbroadbandhome.ca/service···tinstall

"The typical subscriber unit (Fig 1.) is 9.5 inches in diameter, 2 inches think and weighs less than 2lbs."

"you can see what a typical installation looks like, the antenna is kept close to the roof so that it is out of site as much as possible from the ground. "

"The installation team will test the service to ensure that the service is working in your home before they leave. "

"Our system does require that you Line-Of-Site to one of our broadcast towers," - Don't even know where to begin with this one.

*Sigh*

Retro

@ica.net
reply to Immortal

I think that you will find these guys will not be in business to long. I have done some research on the radios they are using and have been informed that they are not licensed to be used in Canada. I would stay away from this company.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Retro :

I think that you will find these guys will not be in business to long. I have done some research on the radios they are using and have been informed that they are not licensed to be used in Canada. I would stay away from this company.

They've been around at least three years, so if the hardware isn't actually legal Industry Canada must not care. That, or more likely they are legal. Getting Wimax hardware certified by Industry Canada, at least compared to the FCC in the US, is extremely easy.

Retro

@ica.net

From what I see they have FCC approval but not Industry Canada. It is easy to check. A quick call to Industry Canada will confirm it.

grayfox

join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON

Well it is a crime to use an unapproved radio, Especialy with an unapproved antenna combonation.

If the radio's they are using have no second harmonic (Or third or fourth if they are really poorly designed I doubt industry canada will even care)

That said point to multipoint 5ghz with indoor unapproved radio's could be really deadly to licensed backhauls and in the greater toronto area on the effect of this would be much higher.

Licensed equipment is normally designed to have no interference what so ever.

As a second harmonic for a 5ghz band router would be in 10.4-12ghz range.

A second harmonic is a second signal that is emitted at twice the desired frequency poorer radio's trash the whole band on the way up harmonics with sometimes up to 4 of these.

The FCC will sometimes approve devices that emit these if they have low gain precisely tuned antennas that do not irradiate the second harmonic with much power for indoor use only.

The issue of second harmonics is why you cannot legally attach higher gain antenna's to any router that has not been approved with higher gain antennas.

Unless someone is interfering with a protected microwave frequency, a radio repeater or a radio station I doubt it would be worth the time and man power to track it down.

That all said if they are using a radio with a second harmonic emission in the states I think the fine is in the tune of $5000 for each day it was in operation to cover the cost of tracking it down the out of band emissions and the damages done to the company’s it was interfering with. Canada probably has similar laws.

If you don't mind me asking what radio's are they using and what is the fcc id ?.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I don't know the details, but it looks like they're using mikrotik hardware with a 3.6GHz Wimax radio, and I'd guess that it might be 802.11y-related rather than 802.16. I'd love to know the exact hardware and the FCC ID, too.

Though like I said, getting Industry Canada certification is a heck of a lot easier than FCC, at least based on what I've heard from people in that line of work.

lyle9

join:2011-02-13
Mississauga, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

If I remember correctly Look's spectrum was sold to Inukshuk, Bell and Rogers venture.

And inukshuk shut down in April (at least in Gravenhurst) forcing those customers to seek alternatives - which include 3G/4G cellular data - 5 times the cost depending on bandwidth.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by lyle9:

And inukshuk shut down in April (at least in Gravenhurst) forcing those customers to seek alternatives - which include 3G/4G cellular data - 5 times the cost depending on bandwidth.

The CRTC should have never allowed them to shut down that network. There are much better ways to do fixed-point communications than HSPA on a cell network. LTE is okay for fixed point, but there are frequency bands better suited for dedicated fixed fixed point than the existing cellular voice/data frequencies.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

It's not the CRTC's decision, Industry Canada manages the spectrum and the ones with the deepest pockets can do what they want with it.

eotsuka

reply to Retro

They are licensed for the spectrum, as I checked before signing up for the service.

»sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/spec···HK=28335

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mlerner

No, it wouldn't. IC just manages the spectrum, the licenses and the certification of the hardware that uses that spectrum. Forcing Robellus to maintain the inukshuk network and provide rural broadband access would end up in the realm of the CRTC, not IC.

If you need verification that this is indeed under the under the purview of the CRTC and not IC directly, check out Section 24 of the Telecommunications Act.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

Even if that's true, the CRTC has no idea what they're doing so it could either be a good or bad thing that they didn't intervene.

grayfox

Whitby, ON

1 edit
reply to Immortal

3.65ghz has different regulations then the ISM bands.

Mikrotik stuff works very good if the whole cpe is from them its emissions would be fine. Mikrotik stuff is good it supports tdma with nstream.

Industry Canada probably won't care about this I am sure the FCC has approved everything and it has no illegal emissions.

I am not familiar with mikrotik's new line of products but the old stuff was good. They have Nstream with TDMA ive read it works very well.

I am sure they can just set the country code to Canada to meet the Canadian requirements for our regulatory domain (Power limit's and frequency).

There only real licensing restriction I recall when I looked at it before was that you would be assigned either a licensed to allow the full 50mhz of spectrum or 25mhz. Industry Canada would determine if you need it and if anyone else around was using it to determine if you get the 50mhz.

3.65ghz from what I understand is not exclusive but providers must co-ordinate and ensure they do not cause harmful interference to each other and I think it has a lower power limit then 3.5ghz.

edit: They might require that the gear is certified but Industry Canada's site is so difficult to navigate. I have not been able to find much information on the site.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Even if that's true, the CRTC has no idea what they're doing so it could either be a good or bad thing that they didn't intervene.

If the CRTC knew what they were doing, they would have never let Bell and Rogers shut down the network. Still, it's worth noting that they forced Bell to continue operating the network in areas where they received rural broadband funding or something such.

grayfox

Whitby, ON

2 edits

said by Gone:

said by mlerner:

If the CRTC knew what they were doing, they would have never let Bell and Rogers shut down the network. Still, it's worth noting that they forced Bell to continue operating the network in areas where they received rural broadband funding or something such.

The CRTC has nothing to do with this wisp.

The CRTC regulates monopolies like and they have nothing to do with frequency regulation.

edit: sorry I misread what you posted, Ignore this.

Also the Expedience system they were running was failing and replacement parts were running scares. It was old and inefficient with spectrum. Its only redeeming quality was that it had amazing non-line of sight performance due to its high transmit power allowed by its 2.5ghz license. Ive seen people installed through more then 15+ tree's the signal was 4/5 bars to a tower more then 15KM away)

Bell had no choice but to shut that system down it lived its life but it was over.

Hopefully Industry Canada will change their licensing policy for 2.5ghz and go with an approach more like with the 3.65ghz system. Or an area per area basis and break them down to small enough areas to allow smaller providers to move in and fill the gap with better service and better performance.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I would have hoped that Bell and/or Rogers would have continued to do something with 2.5GHz using upgraded equipment for exactly the reasons you describe, rather than claiming that HSPA on 850/1900 was an equivalent service and then forcing fixed-point customers onto what is essentially just a cell phone data plan with the high latency and high prices to go with it.

Did they sell the license? I would imagine that there would be some sort of requirement for the license to be utilized for rural broadband as that was what Inukshuk originally received the license for. The fact that the incumbents are allowed to buy up spectrum and then just sit on it and do nothing is a major issue that is going to eventually need to be dealt with.

neptune54

reply to Immortal

Any reviews of Standard Broadband yet from home users?

slantnose1

join:2012-08-28
reply to Retro

not sure where you are getting this info about not being legal?? i checked my radio that is mounted on my house ( been there 2 months) The radios ARE legal in Canada , they come through Canada Customs from the US and Europe with no issue. Not sure why you are trying to say otherwise. You are doing no one any good by "guessing" or implying you know what you are taking about...clearly you do not. and the service is fantastic !!! no issues, speeds are amazing and have not had to call them for anything....that is the best thing. no more long phone calls with Cogeco about service not working.

infamouskid

join:2007-01-24
North York, ON
reply to Immortal

some of the users on RFD report fantastic service and speeds.
here are some tests done.

we got an ongoing thread here with some graphs n such here.
»forums.redflagdeals.com/standard···1188208/
--
BELL CAN SUCKADANUTZ!