spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eotsuka
join:2005-08-15

eotsuka to Retro

to Retro

Re: Standard Broadband

They are licensed for the spectrum, as I checked before signing up for the service.

»sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_a ··· HK=28335

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
No, it wouldn't. IC just manages the spectrum, the licenses and the certification of the hardware that uses that spectrum. Forcing Robellus to maintain the inukshuk network and provide rural broadband access would end up in the realm of the CRTC, not IC.

If you need verification that this is indeed under the under the purview of the CRTC and not IC directly, check out Section 24 of the Telecommunications Act.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Even if that's true, the CRTC has no idea what they're doing so it could either be a good or bad thing that they didn't intervene.

grayfox
join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON

1 edit

grayfox to Immortal

to Immortal
3.65ghz has different regulations then the ISM bands.

Mikrotik stuff works very good if the whole cpe is from them its emissions would be fine. Mikrotik stuff is good it supports tdma with nstream.

Industry Canada probably won't care about this I am sure the FCC has approved everything and it has no illegal emissions.

I am not familiar with mikrotik's new line of products but the old stuff was good. They have Nstream with TDMA ive read it works very well.

I am sure they can just set the country code to Canada to meet the Canadian requirements for our regulatory domain (Power limit's and frequency).

There only real licensing restriction I recall when I looked at it before was that you would be assigned either a licensed to allow the full 50mhz of spectrum or 25mhz. Industry Canada would determine if you need it and if anyone else around was using it to determine if you get the 50mhz.

3.65ghz from what I understand is not exclusive but providers must co-ordinate and ensure they do not cause harmful interference to each other and I think it has a lower power limit then 3.5ghz.

edit: They might require that the gear is certified but Industry Canada's site is so difficult to navigate. I have not been able to find much information on the site.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

Even if that's true, the CRTC has no idea what they're doing so it could either be a good or bad thing that they didn't intervene.

If the CRTC knew what they were doing, they would have never let Bell and Rogers shut down the network. Still, it's worth noting that they forced Bell to continue operating the network in areas where they received rural broadband funding or something such.

grayfox
join:2007-12-10
Whitby, ON

2 edits

grayfox

said by Gone:

said by BACONATOR26:

If the CRTC knew what they were doing, they would have never let Bell and Rogers shut down the network. Still, it's worth noting that they forced Bell to continue operating the network in areas where they received rural broadband funding or something such.

The CRTC has nothing to do with this wisp.

The CRTC regulates monopolies like and they have nothing to do with frequency regulation.

edit: sorry I misread what you posted, Ignore this.

Also the Expedience system they were running was failing and replacement parts were running scares. It was old and inefficient with spectrum. Its only redeeming quality was that it had amazing non-line of sight performance due to its high transmit power allowed by its 2.5ghz license. Ive seen people installed through more then 15+ tree's the signal was 4/5 bars to a tower more then 15KM away)

Bell had no choice but to shut that system down it lived its life but it was over.

Hopefully Industry Canada will change their licensing policy for 2.5ghz and go with an approach more like with the 3.65ghz system. Or an area per area basis and break them down to small enough areas to allow smaller providers to move in and fill the gap with better service and better performance.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I would have hoped that Bell and/or Rogers would have continued to do something with 2.5GHz using upgraded equipment for exactly the reasons you describe, rather than claiming that HSPA on 850/1900 was an equivalent service and then forcing fixed-point customers onto what is essentially just a cell phone data plan with the high latency and high prices to go with it.

Did they sell the license? I would imagine that there would be some sort of requirement for the license to be utilized for rural broadband as that was what Inukshuk originally received the license for. The fact that the incumbents are allowed to buy up spectrum and then just sit on it and do nothing is a major issue that is going to eventually need to be dealt with.
neptune54
join:2006-07-31

neptune54 to Immortal

to Immortal
Any reviews of Standard Broadband yet from home users?
slantnose1
join:2012-08-28

slantnose1 to Retro

to Retro
not sure where you are getting this info about not being legal?? i checked my radio that is mounted on my house ( been there 2 months) The radios ARE legal in Canada , they come through Canada Customs from the US and Europe with no issue. Not sure why you are trying to say otherwise. You are doing no one any good by "guessing" or implying you know what you are taking about...clearly you do not. and the service is fantastic !!! no issues, speeds are amazing and have not had to call them for anything....that is the best thing. no more long phone calls with Cogeco about service not working.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC
·TELUS

infamouskid to Immortal

to Immortal
some of the users on RFD report fantastic service and speeds.
here are some tests done.

we got an ongoing thread here with some graphs n such here.
»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1188208/
mrticklish
join:2013-08-06
Milton, ON

mrticklish

I have been with standard broadband for over a year. The first few months were good and the speeds were as promised but as of this year they have been consistently lower than what we paid for (more than half or a quarter of the speed we signed up for). We called to complain/cancel and experienced very poor customer service to resolve our issue.

My advice is not to go with these guys; they grew too big too fast and are not able to provide the level of service other providers offer.