Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

[CATV] updated tuning adapters

any of the cox techs now why the updated tuning adaters come with a POE filter?

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Why does the TA sheet show needing a POE filter

Good question thanks for asking.

Here are the links that talk about needing a POE Filter on the Tuning Adapter for the Plus Package channels.

This new Tuning Adapter Install sheet showing the use of a POE Filter is a bit strange however. The only use of a POE filter I can see is if you were using MoCA.
»media.cox.com/support/print_medi···coTA.pdf

»ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/···0000000}
quote:
Ability to tune to HD Plus Pak Channels requires:

1. Subscription to its Premium Channel, such as HBO, Showtime, etc.
2. Cox Tuning Adapter in some markets. Also, if the Tuning Adapter was installed prior to May 2012, then the free Cox Tuning Adapter UPDATE Kit is required
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC Passport: 3.1.091, OS: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp,
DIY-eSATA DVR Expander WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX, No Enclosure

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
the only reason I know the POE filter was the whole home dvr now the filter is needed for the tuning adapter also that's why I asked. While Omaha doesn't have to use the tuning adapter just thought I'd ask since cox techs watch this forum more than the Tivo forums on a different page.
Expand your moderator at work

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA
reply to ajwees41

Re: Why does the TA sheet show needing a POE filter

Plus package includes the Whole Home DVR option. I would bet it was added to the TA instructions by default from there. Probably not a lot of Plus Package with TiVo set ups when compared with general Plus Package adoption.
--
Want the most out of BBR? Visit our help page: »members.cox.net/coxengr/bbr_help Are you a Cox employee? Please read this before posting: »members.cox.net/coxengr/bbr_cox

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

3 edits
So is this Self Install sheet correct if the customer does not have the Whole Home DVR and only CableCARD devices, having this as the only option seems confusing. Is the POE filter really needed. and what purpose does it serve?

Here is a copy I saved of the old Tuning Adapter Self Install sheet
»docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ROWkw···xRnpaNlk
--
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC Passport: 3.1.091, OS: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp,

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
said by BryanInPHX:

Is the POE filter really needed. and what purpose does it serve?

looking at the install sheet, it appears that whomever created the material called the MoCA filter a "POE filter"

POE wouldn't run on Coax

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
POE standing for Point-Of-Entry in this case,

not Power-Over-Ethernet

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
said by BryanInPHX:

POE standing for Point-Of-Entry in this case,

not Power-Over-Ethernet

And I get to learn something new today.

I had not previously heard that acronym used. Guess "MoCA filter" had too many letters so the industry had to come up with something slimmer

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA
reply to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

So is this Self Install sheet correct if the customer does not have the Whole Home DVR and only CableCARD devices, having this as the only option seems confusing. Is the POE filter really needed. and what purpose does it serve?

I can only guess that someone looked at the trends and saw that the Plus Package customers with cable cards and not Whole Home DVR was a small enough number to make it not practical to create materials for this scenario.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits
The NEW Tuning Adapter Install Sheet using the POE MoCA Filter only applies IF you are using a MoCA network in your home. The POE Filter and splitter have absolutely nothing to do with the Plus Package channels. MoCA signals above 1GHz cannot pass through the Tuning Adapter, hence the splitter and bypass.

So if you do not use MoCA then follow the prior Tuning Adapter Install Sheet, I saved a copy of it here:
»docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ROWkw···xRnpaNlk

»www.sandiegohdtv.org/forums/thre···#pid2893
--

cvv01
Premium
join:2011-11-16
Lake Forest, CA
reply to ajwees41

Re: [CATV] updated tuning adapters

Looks like the Moto TA guide has a POE Filter added as well. And, they no longer daisy chain the TA with the CC device and instead use a splitter. I have 2 TiVo's and neither had a filter "Professionally" installed by COX. Both were "Professionally" installed daisy chain style as well.

Does anyone know if 1) We need this filter if not using MoCA and 2) We need to split vs. daisy chain the wiring.

Yeah, if "it ain't broke, don't fix it", however there is probably a reason for this change. Just curious why the wiring changed and if the filter is needed. Will this help reduce tiling and macro blocking due to certain HD channels being highly compressed ?

»media.cox.com/support/print_medi···toTA.pdf

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
said by cvv01:

Will this help reduce tiling and macro blocking due to certain HD channels being highly compressed ?

Low signal strength could also cause tiling and macroblocking. Every time you pass through a connector you introduce potential for loss - i.e. if there isn't MoCA present don't install it.

I doubt they'll audit carefully for filters, just the TA upon return. Consider eBay'ing it to offset part of the next rate increase

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to cvv01
said by cvv01:

Looks like the Moto TA guide has a POE Filter added as well. And, they no longer daisy chain the TA with the CC device and instead use a splitter. I have 2 TiVo's and neither had a filter "Professionally" installed by COX. Both were "Professionally" installed daisy chain style as well.

Does anyone know if 1) We need this filter if not using MoCA and 2) We need to split vs. daisy chain the wiring.

Yeah, if "it ain't broke, don't fix it", however there is probably a reason for this change. Just curious why the wiring changed and if the filter is needed. Will this help reduce tiling and macro blocking due to certain HD channels being highly compressed ?

»media.cox.com/support/print_medi···toTA.pdf

as was mentioned not needed unless you are using moca

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to BryanInPHX

MPEG4 (H.264) Plus Pak HD and CableCARD on TiVo

TiVo updated the SW to fix the MPEG4 (H.264) Plus Pak channels, and I can confirm no slitter or MoCA filter was needed to receive the channels.

»MPEG4 (H.264) Plus Pak HD and CableCARD on TiVo