spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to The Q

to The Q

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Also, adding the season and episode information take memory and may reduce the amount of guide listings.
Russ6

Russ6

The following excerpt is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and states that the S26 Guide update deployments have been delayed until November.
quote:
. . .
Our next deployments are now targeted for November. There have been a few minor issues with a small number of cable boxes that we are adjusting now in order to have a better overall customer experience.
. . .
Areas that have the new features now are CT, MN, GA, and parts of LA and TX.

Additional locations are scheduled for through the rest of the year.

Schedules are subject to change. Thanks for your continued patience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Tony | October 2, 2012 12:17 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-61131
Russ6

Russ6

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and explains why the deployment of On-Screen Guide 2.0 was delayed for Houston.
quote:
@Timothy Oldner, glad to hear that you now have Comcast SportsNet Houston.

One way that the Houston area is unique is that we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded boxes for DVRs and Motorola and Pace boxes for non-DVRs. The Houston system is changing over to use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco boxes exclusively and that is the priority right now.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 is still scheduled for Houston once this work is complete. That should be in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Timothy Oldner | October 2, 2012 1:35 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-61141

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Comcast's Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds") just posted this update on the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 5#M57148 ):
Re: Xfinity Rollout Schedule
edited 10-09-2012 04:56 PM

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a short term bridge as we work to get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (X1) into more areas this year and into 2013.

We continue to test and trial the new cloud-based X1 guide on our Cisco RNG cable boxes and the plan would be to deliver the X1 experience (On-Screen Guide 3.0) on the Cisco RNG 200N and the Cisco 150N cable boxes by the end of 2013.

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience. That would be On-Screen Guide 3.0 or X1.

On-Screen Guide 3.0 »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

Currently available to new HD Triple Play customers in Augusta, Boston, Atlanta and Chattanooga.

Additional locations are scheduled for 2012 and 2013. ...

Short term, all of our areas where we use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes ... are expected to receive a guide update and new features including DVR Manager and Caller ID.

We do have these new features out to about 12% of our Cisco-SA footprint and the plan is to get these new features out to all areas as soon as possible.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Ted Hodgins is now saying that the S26 Guide deployment will be finished as soon as possible instead of by the end of the year. (See last line in previous post.)

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

In a post in another thread on that forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 5#M57145 ) he was a bit more precise:
10-09-2012 03:53 PM

All Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta cable boxes in all areas (including your area) will be getting some sort of guide update and improvements. That process is already underway. It is a site by site roll-out so the deployment date will vary for each area.

We are scheduled to start deployments up again in November and continue adding these features in each location into early 2013.

I don't have a date just yet that I can provide for your area.
telcodad

telcodad to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
Is this article talking about the SA/Cisco update to the S26 Guide?

Comcast quietly updates DVRs with ability to list stored programs from the web, mobile apps
By Richard Lawler, Engadget - October 12, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/10 ··· -update/
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by telcodad:

Is this article talking about the SA/Cisco update to the S26 Guide?

Comcast quietly updates DVRs with ability to list stored programs from the web, mobile apps
By Richard Lawler, Engadget - October 12, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/10 ··· -update/

I don't think so since Motorola DVRs are mentioned as being upgraded in the footnotes. It could be part of the Motorola A30 upgrade.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Russ6:

I don't think so since Motorola DVRs are mentioned as being upgraded in the footnotes. It could be part of the Motorola A30 upgrade.

OK, thanks, I missed that "motorola" in those tags. Makes sense as 80% of Comcast's system uses Motorola.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by telcodad:

said by Russ6:

OK, thanks, I missed that "motorola" in those tags. Makes sense as 80% of Comcast's system uses Motorola.

I just checked my box and we didn't get the update. I went online to see if it would give me the ability to see my shows already recorded but it's still the same as it used to be and only allows me to see shows upcoming to be recorded. Maybe next time (10 years later, lol).

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by FifthE1ement:

said by telcodad:

said by Russ6:

I just checked my box and we didn't get the update.

The A30 update hasn't been released in your area yet. Here's the latest schedule: »Re: iGuide A30

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by telcodad:

The A30 update hasn't been released in your area yet. Here's the latest schedule: »Re: iGuide A30

telcodad I love following you on the forum but you didn't have to send me to another thread! A simple, when hell freezes over would have sufficed.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by FifthE1ement:

said by telcodad:

telcodad I love following you on the forum but you didn't have to send me to another thread! A simple, when hell freezes over would have sufficed.

Well thank you, and I don't believe you'll have to wait until then. According to a recent statement on this thread [yeah, another one ] on the Comcast Help and Support Forum »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 1#M56806 the Motorola A30 update should reach you sometime early next year:
We are deploying this guide update (and this new functionality) to new locations regularly with the goal of 100% deployment in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.
kenmanblue
join:2012-10-18

kenmanblue to Russ6

to Russ6
I have to report that the comment made that DVR control, anyroom DVR, Guide 2.0 are available anywhere in Florida where S/A new cable boxes are in use is NOT TRUE. I live in Boynton Beach FL, and have one RNG 200n, and two RNG 150n cable boxes. While heavily advertised, none of those services is available, even though it says they are when I key in my account online. I placed several calls and spent a couple hours on the phone with several CSRs. They escalated the call and did 10 days of research. They then called me back to say they're sorry but implementation in our area is delayed. No date was given as to when it will be available.
GoodOmens
join:2005-07-06
Washington, DC

GoodOmens

I like how the dates for this keep slipping and slipping.

First it was delayed because of the Olympics, then it was going to be in October and now 2013???
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6 to kenmanblue

to kenmanblue
said by kenmanblue:

I have to report that the comment made that DVR control, anyroom DVR, Guide 2.0 are available anywhere in Florida where S/A new cable boxes are in use is NOT TRUE. I live in Boynton Beach FL, and have one RNG 200n, and two RNG 150n cable boxes. While heavily advertised, none of those services is available, even though it says they are when I key in my account online. I placed several calls and spent a couple hours on the phone with several CSRs. They escalated the call and did 10 days of research. They then called me back to say they're sorry but implementation in our area is delayed. No date was given as to when it will be available.

Have you posted this in Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and if so what was his response?

His blog is at:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· xes.html

Maybe, he can explain what is going on.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
said by Russ6:

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and explains why the deployment of On-Screen Guide 2.0 was delayed for Houston.

quote:
@Timothy Oldner, glad to hear that you now have Comcast SportsNet Houston.

One way that the Houston area is unique is that we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded boxes for DVRs and Motorola and Pace boxes for non-DVRs. The Houston system is changing over to use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco boxes exclusively and that is the priority right now.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 is still scheduled for Houston once this work is complete. That should be in early 2013. Thanks for your patience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Timothy Oldner | October 2, 2012 1:35 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-61141

FYI - Just saw this thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum about the Houston "Equipment Swap" »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· /1448839

The Equipment Swap webpage for customers in Houston to use for this is at: »xfinity.onprocess.com/xfinity

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

Hey telco, I was reading the ted blog and saw he is now saying areas that are Moto will never see Guide 2.0?

"@erich, On-Screen Guide 2.0 is targeted for selected areas where we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes. In your zip code we use Motorola cable boxes so we don't have plans for On-Screen Guide 2.0 there.

However, On-Screen Guide 3.0 is available in your area.

More info on On-Screen Guide 3.0 is available here: »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

Currently available to new HD Triple Play customers in Augusta, Boston, Atlanta and Chattanooga. Additional locations are scheduled for 2012 and 2013. Those locations have not yet been publicly announced."

What do you think? I have a DCX3400 and I'm starting to think it will never be updated. I think they will eventually send me a notice to swap out the box for a Cisco or SA? Which is crazy as the DCX340 is a powerful box in terms of specs, memory, etc...

Thanks,

5th

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by FifthE1ement:

Hey telco, I was reading the ted blog and saw he is now saying areas that are Moto will never see Guide 2.0?

"@erich, On-Screen Guide 2.0 is targeted for selected areas where we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes. In your zip code we use Motorola cable boxes so we don't have plans for On-Screen Guide 2.0 there.

However, On-Screen Guide 3.0 is available in your area.

:

What do you think? I have a DCX3400 and I'm starting to think it will never be updated. I think they will eventually send me a notice to swap out the box for a Cisco or SA? Which is crazy as the DCX340 is a powerful box in terms of specs, memory, etc...

Thanks,

5th

Yes, as Ted Hodgins has said, OSG 2.0 is supposed to be "a short term bridge as we work to get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (X1) into more areas this year and into 2013," with the long term plan to get all of the newest cable boxes, regardless of hardware manufacturer, onto a common on-screen guide like OSG 3.0 ("X1").

I would think the Moto DCX3400 has enough memory and CPU power to handle OSG 3.0.
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer to FifthE1ement

to FifthE1ement
Comcast should be able automatically update your DCX3400 with the 3.0 guide. Will they? Who knows with this company... When will they update? Probably by 2014...
Comcast should push the new 3.o guide to the customers who have the newer equipment and that live within the areas that offer the 3.0/X1 guide.
If DirecTv can push a button and update all of their HD receivers with a wonderful HD guide then why can not the largest cable TV provider, Comcast, not do the same?

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by turnerbrewer:

Comcast should be able automatically update your DCX3400 with the 3.0 guide. Will they? Who knows with this company... When will they update? Probably by 2014...
Comcast should push the new 3.o guide to the customers who have the newer equipment and that live within the areas that offer the 3.0/X1 guide.
If DirecTv can push a button and update all of their HD receivers with a wonderful HD guide then why can not the largest cable TV provider, Comcast, not do the same?

Yeah it does seem very appalling that it has taken so long for Comcast to come out of the 90's. I have had iGuide since the late 90's, I'm not kidding! Well I think since at least 2001. I mean that is crazy to have a guide for over 10 years that has almost never changed (they've added features but the look is identical)!? I really don't think they will ever upgrade any areas with OSG 3.0. I think they will eventually send a letter to all customers saying if they want to enter the future they will need to have their boxes swapped out. That drives me nuts as I don't want to get a new box or bother with the hassle! My DCX3400 is the same as the RNG200N which they are supposedly already pushing out OSG 3.0 on now? It has 512MB of RAM and Tru2way/OCAP support. I just think the developers for Comcast are lost? I mean when you see DirecTV, DishNet, ATT U-verse, Verizon all with guides that look straight scifi compared to Comcast it's annoying that we usually pay more for a crappy guide from the 90's! LOL! What is even scarier is in my area most people have Motos but they have been also giving out Pace RNG110's over the past few years. Are they going to be able to upgrade someone that has an RNG110 and a DCX3400 in the same house to the same guide?!
turnerbrewer

turnerbrewer

I am in the same boat. I have a Motorola RNG200N(DCX3501M) HDDVR and a Pace 110RNG. Comcast tells me that the X1/3.0 is available in my area, but it is only available to new subscribers for Triple Play. I do not need or want telephone service.....
Comcast should be able to push the new 3.0 guide to my Motorola RNG200N with no problem. I am paying too much $$$ each month for this antiquated guide. I might as well go back to satellite...
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Comcast is deploying the Pace gateway with the X1 Guide (On-Screen Guide 3.0) in selected areas. This deployment will expand to other areas. Comcast has plans to eventually download the X1 Guide to both the Motorola and the SA/Cisco markets STBs that can support it. In the the SA/Cisco markets, it will start with the Cisco RNG 200N and then the other RNG boxes. In the Motorola markets, it will be deployed on the more modern STBs.

While that happens, Comcast is updating the current STBs. Motorola areas are getting the A30 Guide. SA/Cisco areas are getting the S26 Guide.

In some SA/Cisco areas, Comcast is deploying On-Screen Guide 2.0 to provide AnyRoom DVR functionality. Since On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a bridge guide to X1, Comcast is forcing users to get AnyRoom DVR functionality and have Comcast install it with new STBs.

I think the above is correct but it is hard to be sure. It will take a long time before it is all done and Comcast may change its plans before it is.
turnerbrewer

turnerbrewer

What is rollout schedule for the A30 guide? When will it be released in the Atlanta market? What improvements are included in the A30 guide?
Is the A30 guide 16:9?
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by turnerbrewer:

What is rollout schedule for the A30 guide? When will it be released in the Atlanta market? What improvements are included in the A30 guide?

The only information I have about the A30 Guide is from the A30 Guide thread:
»iGuide A30

It is not 16:9, but that thread describes the improvments.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to turnerbrewer

to turnerbrewer
said by turnerbrewer:

turnerbrewer the A30 guide is the same as your current iGuide but with a few more features such as closed captioning from the menu (rather than the hidden service menu), DVR recoding playback via online, a few other features and the features from the A28 update if you haven't gotten that yet. However the A30 guide is still not 16:9 and is exactly what you have now. It's crazy that at the core of the A30 is a decade old guide system!? What is Comcast thinking? I thought two years ago that now with technology increasing at an exponential rate that Comcast would HAVE TO put something out there that mimicked the burgeoning smartphone market or similar yet they have done almost next to nothing. The X1 guide is a great start but I think 99% of Comcast users will never see it and if they do it won't be for year! It's really very frustrating!
turnerbrewer

turnerbrewer

It is frustrating that Comcast keeps "patching" the outdated IGuide instead of offering a guide that the customers want.
What is also frustrating to me is that the X1 guide is available in my area, but it is not available to me since I am not a new Triple-Play customer. I have called numerous times and I am always denied the upgrade.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

write wecanhelp@comcast.net and ask them if they can help you get the x1.
kenmanblue
join:2012-10-18

kenmanblue to Russ6

to Russ6
Thanks Russ. I've just now posted there, and hopefully will get an explanation soon.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to turnerbrewer

MVM

to turnerbrewer
said by turnerbrewer:

It is frustrating that Comcast keeps "patching" the outdated IGuide instead of offering a guide that the customers want.

Well, it looks like Comcast may be putting more priority on improving its OSGs now:

Comcast forms CoMPASS team to develop next generation user interfaces
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 23, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-10-23