Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to telcodad

Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

said by telcodad:

said by turnerbrewer:

It is frustrating that Comcast keeps "patching" the outdated IGuide instead of offering a guide that the customers want.

Well, it looks like Comcast may be putting more priority on improving its OSGs now:

Comcast forms CoMPASS team to develop next generation user interfaces
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 23, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-10-23

Lol, but we probably won't see the results of this until 2015 by Comcast standards.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to kenmanblue

said by kenmanblue:

Thanks Russ. I've just now posted there, and hopefully will get an explanation soon.

The following posts are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and states that On-Screen Guide 2.0 with AnyRoom DVR functionality is available in Boynton Beach, Florida.
NOTE: Ted changed his answer. The last quote (in bold) is his new answer. On-Screen Guide 2.0 with AnyRoom DVR is NOT available in Boynton Beach, Florida.
quote:
Hi Ted,

I live in Boynton Beach, Florida, an area that is supposed to have all these great features, such as anyroom DVR, caller ID ON TV, control of DVR recordings from an iPhone or iPad and others. In fact, if I go,to Comcast online, it encourages me to order upgrades like Anyroom DVR, which it says is available. And yet, it is not. I have placed many calls to Comcast, and agreed to do the upgrade. The CSR was unable to understand why these features did not work. They escalated the issue, gave me a ticket number, and called me back 10 days later to tell me they have delayed the upgrade in my area. No one seems to know when it will actually take place, or what the problem is. Can you help figure this out? I don't know if its just my specific community or a larger area. I'm certainly not in any kind of remote area, nor a new subdivision. I'd appreciate anything you can do to help.

Kenneth Reisman | October 22, 2012 7:47 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-64304
quote:
Hello Mr. Reisman, thanks for reaching out.

In your area of FL, On-Screen Guide 2.0 is definitely available today when you have a subscription to AnyRoom DVR. We would need to professionally install new cable boxes in all cases.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 includes DVR Manager, Caller ID to the TV and many other new features. More info here: »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

Apologies for the incorrect information you received. I've asked that someone from the local Comcast Florida team give you a call to go over the details with you.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Kenneth Reisman | October 23, 2012 4:27 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-64458
quote:
Hello Mr. Reisman, thanks for reaching out.

Apologies for the conflicting information you received. I've asked that someone from the local Comcast Florida team give you a call to go over the situation with you.

It sounds as though your area is one last small area where this new guide is not yet available. I should have some more information soon as to when your area is targeted. It should be very soon.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Kenneth Reisman | October 23, 2012 4:27 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···entific-

atlanta-cable-boxes.html#comment-64458

--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to FifthE1ement

said by FifthE1ement:

said by telcodad:

said by turnerbrewer:

It is frustrating that Comcast keeps "patching" the outdated IGuide instead of offering a guide that the customers want.

Well, it looks like Comcast may be putting more priority on improving its OSGs now:

Comcast forms CoMPASS team to develop next generation user interfaces
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 23, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-10-23

Lol, but we probably won't see the results of this until 2015 by Comcast standards.

I agree this will further delay getting the X1 Guide deployed to the majority of Comcast customers. Comcast will be spending its time and efforts forming CoMPASS instead of working on the X1 guide and testing it. I hope the person Comcast finds to run CoMPASS doesn't decide to start all over again.
--
Links:

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

Well seeing that X1 appears to pretty much be the same program guide that Verizon FIOS has had for over a year - I hope they put some more people on creating new ideas...
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Russ6

Houston, TX

Comcast needs to get the guides deployed to more people without having to stop the deployment to send out a patch. After that, Comcast can add more features. Also, the guides need to take advantage of the STB hardware. For example, the Cisco RNG 200N supports AnyRoom DVR but it is only deployed in some of the SA/Cisco markets and the Pace X1 gateway has six tuners but the X1 guide only allows 2 shows to be recorded at the same time.
--
Links:

turnerbrewer

join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Russ6

Comcast needs to push the X1 guide to the existing customers boxes now.
Push the guide to compatible boxes. What incentive do I have to stay with Comcast and the A28 IGuide when I can go with DirecTv and receive a free HD Genie with 5 tuners? Comcast even cripples their own X1 box by only allowing 2 of the 6 tuners to operate... Comcast reminds me of IBM circa 1979/1980's. They are arrogant and refuse to listen to their customers.
Comcast requires current customers to subscribe to Triple Play in order to receive the X1 box, but the very market demographic that would be interested in the features of the X1 would not be interested in Phone service over a wired connection. Comcast is out of touch and blind.

Russ6

Houston, TX

I don't think the software for the X1 Guide is ready for either the Motorola or Cisco STBs. The X1 Guide is only being deployed on the Pace X1 Gateway.

Comcast is trying to take advantage of the new Pace X1 Gateway by only allowing new triple play customers to get it. Comcast plans to offer it to existing customers after the "new" wears off. This could be a matter of months or years.

I think the real problem is that it takes Comcast years to produce the Guide software and get the bugs out. Comcast is forming the CoMPASS group to address this, but even that will take a long time before it produces good results. In the meantime, Comcast will continue losing customers because of this.
--
Links:

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by Russ6:

I don't think the software for the X1 Guide is ready for either the Motorola or Cisco STBs. The X1 Guide is only being deployed on the Pace X1 Gateway.

Comcast is trying to take advantage of the new Pace X1 Gateway by only allowing new triple play customers to get it. Comcast plans to offer it to existing customers after the "new" wears off. This could be a matter of months or years.

I think the real problem is that it takes Comcast years to produce the Guide software and get the bugs out. Comcast is forming the CoMPASS group to address this, but even that will take a long time before it produces good results. In the meantime, Comcast will continue losing customers because of this.

I think we all agree with everything you said but it's pure BS! Why should new customers be entitled to the latest and greatest while those who have "stuck" and I mean that in the most literal sense of the word, get stuck back in 1999 with iGuide?! Any other company would be out of business but hey monopolies are a great business model. Sometimes I think the extent of Comcast's coders are two monkeys in a room with a computer, lol.

Why disable the other tuners on the X1? Why not have day plus and day minus as one of the first basic features on the X1? When will Comcast ever push out an update? These are questions we probably won't find out till 2014. In fact I'd be willing to make a bet with someone on this forum. $100 if Comcast releases the new update, I'll be sporting, to 50% of it's install base by October of 2013! Anyone want to pick a month and get in the pool?

What blows me away is that I don't even think Comcast writes or codes the guide? I know iGuide was on just about every cable operators boxes? So what have they been doing for years?
--

Russ6

Houston, TX

I don't know if the other tuners were deliberately disabled for some marketing reason or if Comcast simply couldn't get the guide software to correctly record more than 2 shows at the same time and that is why the other tuners were disabled. Also, why hasn't Comcast deployed an AnyRoom DVR Guide for the Pace X1 Gateway?

Russ6

Houston, TX

Ted has changed his answer and now says that On-Screen Guide 2.0 is NOT currently available in Boynton Beach, Florida, but should be soon. Click the following link that includes his new answer.

»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comcast doesn't know what it is doing. It needs to spend a few million on hiring Motorola and Pace engineers (should be the same now right, lol) or borrow them for six months and get this crap worked out. Comcast doesn't know if they are coming or going.
--

turnerbrewer

Comcast - This is what a proper HD Guide looks like-

»www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.···id=82022

GoodOmens

join:2005-07-06
Arlington, VA
reply to RKB_t

Yay Comcast - I like how the S26 update has slipped from the Summer, to the Fall, and now it looks like it won't come to most people until 2013.

I just want to be able to properly record TV shows...

Russ6

Houston, TX

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and states that further deployment of the S26 Guide is being delayed until December.

quote:
All of our areas where we use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes (including your area of NH) are expected to receive this guide update and new features including DVR Manager and Caller ID.

Our next new deployments are now targeted for December. I don't have a specific date for your area that I can share just yet. Once I do I will be sure and share that information here.

There have been a few minor issues with a small number of cable boxes that we have adjusted in order to have a better overall customer experience. The recent storms and some competing priorities are some reasons why our next locations have moved to December. Apologies for the delay.

We do have these new features out to about 12% of our Cisco-SA footprint and the plan is to get these new features out to all areas as soon as possible. Thanks for your continued patience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Scott | November 13, 2012 1:27 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-66144
--
Links:

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to GoodOmens

said by GoodOmens:

Yay Comcast - I like how the S26 update has slipped from the Summer, to the Fall, and now it looks like it won't come to most people until 2013.

I just want to be able to properly record TV shows...

I think *some* people got it over the summer...

TexasAnt

@mycingular.net

what is the eta of the software update to screen guide 2.0, I really want to use the features in my service, and no I have no need to purchase anywhere DVR, as i have one tv and one DVR and no I do not need triple play, who uses land lines? grandpa?

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 edit

said by TexasAnt :

what is the eta of the software update to screen guide 2.0, I really want to use the features in my service, and no I have no need to purchase anywhere DVR, as i have one tv and one DVR and no I do not need triple play, who uses land lines? grandpa?

See »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Guide S26 should be deployed either in December of this year or more likley next year.

You probably wouldn't get On-Screen Guide 2.0 unless you get AnyRoom DVR and it will be in limited areas.

The X1 Guide (aka On-Screen Guide 3.0) is scheduled to be deployed by late 2013. My guess is there will be more scattered deployments in 2013 and it will be 2014 or later before it is available across the country.

Comcast is in the process of forming a new Guide development team and there is no telling how this will affect Guide deployments. See
»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)
--
Links:

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to TexasAnt

said by TexasAnt :

.... who uses land lines? grandpa?

well at least 9.3 million grandpas subscribed to comcast for landline phone service at the end of 2011 according to Reuters...

As of December 31, 2011, its cable systems served 22.3 million video customers, 18.1 million high-speed Internet customers and 9.3 million voice customers and passed more than 52 million homes and businesses in 39 states and the District of Columbia.

source: »www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/c···=CMCSA.O

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

said by The Q:

said by TexasAnt :

.... who uses land lines? grandpa?

well at least 9.3 million grandpas subscribed to comcast for landline phone service at the end of 2011 according to Reuters...

As of December 31, 2011, its cable systems served 22.3 million video customers, 18.1 million high-speed Internet customers and 9.3 million voice customers and passed more than 52 million homes and businesses in 39 states and the District of Columbia.

source: »www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/c···=CMCSA.O

I know in my area, with the widespread power outages after Superstorm Sandy hit, some cellular carriers' services went out, but my Verizon POTS service kept working fine. Some of my neighbors who had Comcast CDV and FiOS voice also lost their phone service as the battery backups failed after a few hours.

Then, in the middle of all this, I even got a call from Verizon on my POTS line asking about switching over to FiOS! I told them about the above, and said NO WAY!

The caller then said it was just a matter of time, in my area, that the POTS service will be discontinued. I said OK, I'll just keep my copper line until they clip it from my home then!

Also see:

Sandy: The Case for Better Cell Site Backup?
By Dan Jones, Light Reading Mobile - November 2, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=226545

Russ6

Houston, TX

The following excerpt is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and this is the first time I have seen Ted link to information on a certified Western Digital external DVR expander. The rest of the post has previously posted info on the S26 guide and a little about On-Screen Guide 2.0

quote:
. . .
For all of our DVR customers with a Cisco or Scientific Atlanta branded DVR who may be using or considering a separate external hard drive (connected via e-SATA) for additional DVR storage; that functionality has always existed and will continue. Any existing DVR recordings will be preserved. We have tested this guide with various external hard drives and the e-SATA port in our labs and in the field. Any existing external hard drive is expected to be able to be used with the new guide for future recordings similar to how it is used today.

Here is a link to information on a Western Digital external DVR expander that we have certified for Cisco-Scientific-Atlanta and Motorola DVRs:
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···storage/

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Rick | November 26, 2012 2:18 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-67165
--
Links:

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Latest info on OSG 2.0 posted on the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···9#M60586 ) by Comcast's Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds"):

From ComcastTeds
12-04-2012 9:50 PM

The following Comcast areas that use Cisco or Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes have On-Screen Guide 2.0 available: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and Minnesota.
New Mexico and Texas are scheduled for early 2013.

A subscription to AnyRoom DVR is required. We would need to professionally install new cable boxes. On-Screen Guide 2.0 includes DVR Manager, Caller ID to the TV and many other new features. More info here: »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

We don't plan on offering On-Screen Guide 2.0 in any additional areas than what I have already listed above.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a way to introduce significant improvements and new features (including AnyRoom DVR) to our customers in many areas of our Cisco footprint (delivering to multiple markets in several states now instead of waiting another full year). Our Cisco areas historically have lagged behind our Motorola areas when it comes to new video products and features.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 is a short term bridge as we work to get our On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) into more areas this year and into 2013.

On-Screen Guide 2.0 »www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

On-Screen Guide 3.0 »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Some updates/details on the S26 guide deployments for Texas and New Mexico in Ted Hodgins's "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog entry yesterday (»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-67777 ):

SCHEDULE UPDATE

NEW MEXICO: As you might have seen in earlier posts from me this evening, we have started to deploy the new guide features in New Mexico. That will continue this week.

TEXAS: Houston and Galveston customers are scheduled to get the new on-screen guide features starting next week. The process will be over a few days.

Russ6

Houston, TX

The following post is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and is a summary of the S26 Guide update and the underlined section is about the X1 Guide.

quote:
@Bob, thanks for your comments and questions. The Comcast areas in northern Virginia where we use Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded cable boxes are targeted to receive this guide update during the first three months of 2013. As we get closer to the date for each area I will be able to post that information right here.

Some of the new features that are included in this release are listed below:

DVR Manager: From the internet and the Xfinity TV app, customers can: set recordings, view/modify scheduled recordings, view completed recordings, modify series priority lists, etc.
»xfinity.comcast.net/mydvr/how-to/

Caller ID to the TV See who's calling, right from your TV and PC! Comcast Universal Caller ID takes the guesswork out of incoming calls. »www.comcast.net/callerid

Xfinity TV Application: The ability to use your iPad to change channels.
»www.xfinity.com/help/internet/mobile-tv-app/

HSN Shop-by-Remote: A convenient, new way to make HSN purchases simply by using your remote. »www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV_Gui···0110.pdf

Request for Info: Know more, save more! Introducing an easy way to request valuable coupons and info from advertisers simply by using your remote.
»www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20G···tion.pdf

Ready Remind and Ready Record: Now you can conveniently set program reminders or recordings directly from certain TV show and movie advertisements.
»www.comcast.net/newguide/iTV%20G···cord.pdf

Once I get an updated and confirmed schedule for the next areas I will be able to post that information on the site. The above features are already in customer homes in parts of GA, LA, CT, TX, MN and NM. We expect to complete our deployments by Spring 2013. Thanks for your contiinued patience.

On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) is rolling out to many new Comcast areas in 2013.

Our expectation is be able to deliver this new experience onto several of our newest cable boxes that are already in homes, including the Cisco RNG 200. That is expected in mid to late 2013.

Regarding AnyRoom DVR in your area: Our goal is to be able to use the cloud for DVR recordings. We have trials underway in the Boston area now. The X1 Experience is expected to have a cloud DVR opportunity where individual DVR recordings are not stored on the in-home device. This cloud DVR experience would really negate the need for a limited and physically in-the-home external hard drive and all boxes could be AnyRoom DVRs. Plus the opportunity to retain your DVR recordings should you move or you need to replace the DVR.

Thanks again for your patience as we work to improve the experience.

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Bob Jurgensen | December 4, 2012 8:29 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-67770
--
Links:

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Russ6 See Profile, et al:

FYI - It looks like Ted Hodgins (aka "ComcastTeds") has moved his Q&As for the "New Guides for SA/Cisco Cable Boxes" Comcast Voices blog item to a new stickied thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes
12-11-2012 2:45 PM

Just making the "move" from the Comcast Voices site to the Comcast Help & Services Support site where we can have some better interaction and provide updates as needed.

Russ6

Houston, TX

Thanks for the update, telcodad.

My SA Explorer 8300 HD DVR was updated with the S26 Guide very early this morning, but my Cisco RNG 200N DVRs weren't updated yet.

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

My SA8300HDs were updated (Sunday night?). One was locked up last night and had to be rebooted. It also showed more space used on the DVR than it should have; I had to delete a bunch of recordings.
The other hasn't locked up yet, but the guide is in 4:3, and when I tried to pause live TV, the pause bar came up showing it was paused, but the show kept playing. After some fiddling, it finally paused.

Russ6

Houston, TX

said by brhalltx:

My SA8300HDs were updated (Sunday night?). One was locked up last night and had to be rebooted. It also showed more space used on the DVR than it should have; I had to delete a bunch of recordings.
The other hasn't locked up yet, but the guide is in 4:3, and when I tried to pause live TV, the pause bar came up showing it was paused, but the show kept playing. After some fiddling, it finally paused.

If you are having problems, you can try rebooting the DVR. That corrects many problems.
--
Links:

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

said by Russ6 See Profile
If you are having problems, you can try rebooting the DVR. That corrects many problems.
[/BQUOTE :

I've done that many times; I haven't been able to reboot the second one yet, since it's recording.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to Russ6

Latest status of the S26 update deployment on Ted Hodgins' (aka "ComcastTeds") "New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes" stickied thread on the Comcast Help and Support Forum:

12-13-2012 5:37 PM
:
I outlined a few of the issues regarding the delays in the above posts and in the Comcast Voices blog. Apologies again that we haven't been able to get this out to more areas sooner. Schedules are always subject to change but I am very confident in the current timelines.

The difference is now that we have 25% of the areas deployed with excellent results in several states, Apologies that PA is not yet one of deployed locations yet.

We will get the new features and fixes out in Scranton soon and I would like to give you a call and invite you to lunch when the features are deployed there - that is scheduled to be before the end of March 2013, but I realize that you may not believe that.

Thanks again for your continued patience and all of your feedback.