how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

[request] Clicking a link opens in new window/tab

maybe I have something wrong here, but why is it I click on a link here and it just does not open a new tab or window for me? if the site does not have it can we get it? I know I can right click and open in new tab. Just throwing this out here.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

Re: Clicking a link opens in new window/tab

Depending on your browser/platform, there are keyboard shortcuts that can accomplish this; such as a control-click or shift-click.

Personally, I'd rather not see the default behavior of the site changed.

moes

Cedar City, UT

Only reason I asked for something like this is because chrome/firefox/IE on my laptop has an issue and it's just easier for tabs to open instead of having to load the page on the source instead.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory

Which is your preferred browser? There may be plugins or extensions that you could install to accomplish the same end result.

moes

Cedar City, UT

firefox would be the preferred browser

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory

How about this then?

Always opens new tab for links to other websites. (Or, loads any link in new tab.)

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···new-tab/

moes

Cedar City, UT

sweet thanks!

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory

No problem. Let us know if it works as advertised, may help someone else out too.

moes

Cedar City, UT
reply to state

well that did not work lol, oh well I'll just use the manual method Thanks

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory

How about this one then?

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···ix-plus/

moes

Cedar City, UT

That one works, it opens everything in new tabs which is ok for me

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory

Good deal.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to moes

If you were using a mouse with a scroll wheel, then you could use the wheel [click] to perform a middle-click (as in with a 3-button mouse), which would open a link in a new tab. You should be able to find out how your laptop's mousepad (which I presume you're using) simulates a middle-click and use that without needing an add-on.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to moes

said by moes:

maybe I have something wrong here, but why is it I click on a link here and it just does not open a new tab or window for me? if the site does not have it can we get it? I know I can right click and open in new tab. Just throwing this out here.

NEVER! I hate that. Sites that do that force you to close the damn window they just opened, instead of just going back. Back wins every time.

Hate hate hate that. You wind up with 47 windows open, and then original one is lost forever.

The only reason you should need a new window is to compare it to the previous window side-by-side. If you don't need that, use the Forward and Back as they were intended.