Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thumpernator

join:2012-08-05
Senoia, GA
reply to Thumpernator

Re: [General] Home Fusion install scheduled

Wanted to update my post. The "Data" people will not come out to check the signal. Said their computer program is accurate and to just keep checking. All this while my neighbor is currently using the Verizon JetPack (MIFI) on the 4G network. I borrowed their system and it works perfectly, even with the device in my basement.

I'd go with that system if it wasn't a LOT more expensive to get any decent download limit. Plus, I'd have to change my phone plan over to the Shared Plan and I currently still have the Unlimited Plan on my phones. Don't really want to give up my Unlimited Plan.

Well, I'm stuck with HughesNet until December anyway, unless I pay an early termination fee. I've had HN for 6 years but had to upgrade the modem 20 months ago when the old one failed. They really have you by the nads with their "you need a new modem and that requires a new two year contract" program.

BTW, I'm not out in the middle of nowhere and the local Verizon Store has sold a few systems and their installers are NOT overwhelmed with installation orders. I told the salesman that I thought they were in the business to sell service, so why not sell it to me? I'd take the risk of not getting the 4G signal, knowing that I have a solid 4 Bars with 4G on my phone upstairs and 3 Bars in my basement.

Anyway, in December I will either have HF or the JetPack and will send HughesNet and their support staff Ali Baba to the septic system.

jac74

join:2004-11-14
Rochester, NY
reply to verizonlteda

Thanks for the update. The location I need this doesnt have LTE yet, so I can't get it, but I know it is coming and want to make sure I can use VOIP on it. Do you notice any major fluctuations or is it pretty flawless?

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com

Its flawless.

Blood Washed

@clearwire-dns.net

Could someone run a Pingtest.net with HF and post the results (packet loss/ping/jitter)?

Much appreciated

Cattlelady

join:2012-08-01
Taneytown, MD

That's in bad weather... will run one again later

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com
reply to Blood Washed

Cattlelady

Taneytown, MD
reply to Blood Washed

Weather is a little better

Cattlelady

Taneytown, MD
reply to Blood Washed

this is the speedtest still with thunderstorms to the east and west of me.

Am I happy, yes I am!

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com

Yup HF is great no problem with voip .

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com
reply to Blood Washed

Heres one more jitter/ ping test from 150 miles from me just show you voip is fine.

Aberwacky

join:2012-08-28
Tumbling Shoals, AR
reply to jac74

My HomeFusion install is scheduled for today. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it will work for us--we've been using a MiFi 2200 on 3g for 2 years connected to a cradlepoint mbr1000 router to deal with the connectivity issues. Satellite or wireless are our only options here, so it this works, I'll be very happy. My husband and I both work from home, and a faster connection would make both our jobs easier.

Ours is the first in our area--the local Verizon store had never sold one, and it took 3 hours in the store with an ever-escalating level of software help, ending with the lifeline team to get the application software to work and accept the order. Apparently there were issues within the software, and it took a high-level software guru to override the issues so that it would actually work. Excellent customer service--I kept expecting them to give up and tell me that we weren't eligible.

Among the issues encountered, the process made it through the EROS and e911 coverage evaluations fine, but ran into a snag because one of the system maps was outdated, and didn't show LTE service where we live. The lifeline guru overrode that. If someone didn't have a persistent local rep like I did, I can see where the software issues might make them give up and just tell you no.

They started implementing fixes right away, so hopefully this issue will be fixed and others won't have the problems we did.

I do have a question for those that have it already--what kind of wireless range do you see from the router? Our house is spread out, and I want to maximize the access to the WAN from as many places as possible.

Thanks,

Leigh

blizztry400

join:2012-03-10

@Aberwacky

If you look at the coverage map on the Verizon website, are you in an extended 4g area?

You are right, a dedicated local rep will help you. When I was trying to get HomeFusion, the rep said she would contact the higher ups, and get back to me, but never did.

However, I am in extended 4g, so it might be different if you are in solid 4g, and the outdated maps were the problem.

Aberwacky

Tumbling Shoals, AR

1 edit

I can't get the Verizon site to come up at the moment, but I'll check later to see what it says. Apparently, though, from what they were saying during the calls, they have a number of different coverage maps that are internal only, and they don't always match.

Until very recently, we didn't have lte coverage, (extended or otherwise), and I'd been checking regularly. When I checked into the HomeFusion service, the maps on the main Verizon coverage maps page showed we were in an extended area, but when I ran my address through on the HomeFusion page, it showed that service was available. Then, at the store, the "stricter" criteria in their system (EROS and E911) showed I was in LTE area.
So, who knows how accurate the maps on the website really are.

The great service I received may have been helped by the fact that I insisted on waiting, at the rep's desk, the whole time. . The rep was a good one, though, and did a great job for me.

cheetahdrive

Springdale, AR

I had similarly great service from my local sales rep (Siloam Springs, AR), but have had very little but woe since the install. My speeds have varied from 300kbs to 2200kbs, but for the most part seem to be on par with my Centurytel DSL. I have had a trouble ticket with Verizon open almost since the install, and they have elevated it twice. However, they have also closed it at least once, when the network folks said that the path to the tower was ok. Have been told that the unit is switching towers often. Today I was told it might take another 10 days before they got to it, and that I had 4 days left before I could send it back without getting locked into the the contract.

I told them I didn't have any problem waiting 10 days to try to fix it, but if the 4 days was in fact a hard number, to come rip it out. I am not going to pay 350 bucks for sub-DSL speeds.

Cattlelady

Taneytown, MD
reply to Aberwacky

sorry Leigh, but I doubt that I can help. the wifi signal is excellent 30 foot away, but quickly goes to poor after that, but my walls are triple brick thick and that along with wood lathe and horse hair plaster is not a good test for you.

Aberwacky

Tumbling Shoals, AR

Thanks--it's installed now, and the Wifi range is pretty good up to 100 feet away , and passing through the walls just fine. The wired connection from the router is faster, of course, and I'm using that on my laptop, and wireless on everything else (printers, iphone, ipad, etc.)

So far, I'm very pleased--considering my options are this or Satellite or MIFI, I'm happy. I'm seeing Pings at around 90 ms (could be better) and Download speeds ranging from 13-20 Mbps and Upload Speeds ranging from 1.5-5.6 Mbps since install. I'm using TestMy.net as well as Speedtest.net to check it. These results are from my iPad on the wireless network and my laptop on the wired network.

Considering I was getting 1.5 down before and .2 up with my 3G mifi, I'm thrilled!

We were going to go with the 4G mifi, but when I considered the additional cost of a needed external antenna, amplifier and WiFi as WAN router, this was cheaper, plus the data is cheaper, too. I couldn't have bought the antenna, amp and router for the $99 install and equipment cost, plus I didn't have to get on the roof to install the antenna.

It was also very easy to connect all my devices to the wireless router--easier than with my old Cradlepoint one.

Would I prefer to have DSL or cable with unlimited data? Of course, but this is what I CAN get, and it's so much better than what we had, so I'm happy.

Plus, I can now reasonably connect my house wired LAN to the router, and finally use all these ethernet ports in my walls!

According to this map, we're in LTE Extended: »www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/Cove···state=AR.

The tech was seeing 46% on his app, and 2 bars on his phone in my driveway, fwiw. When he plugged in the cantenna to check it, the tower-connection LED was staying mostly green, and it's been the same since he installed it, although it's lost connection a few times. It was always restored quickly, though. I plan on keeping an eye on it for the next few weeks, to see how it works.

It will be interesting to see what effect Isaac has on it all as he works his way north--supposed to be a tropical depression when he hits us.

Leigh

Aberwacky

Tumbling Shoals, AR

1 edit
reply to Cattlelady

deleting double post

darrick04

join:2011-07-30
Shelbyville, TN

Any more updates? Considering having this installed at our home as well. We currently have the mifi that works great, but we consistently go over the 10GB by about .4 or so every month, two laptops and a desktop, a kid in college, one in high school and one in middle school... so it sounds more financially beneficial to just pay the upfront installing cost for the cantenna as we are paying $10 extra every month by baaaaaarely going over 10GB.

Boroguy333

@myvzw.com

Have had HF about 2 weeks now and except for a 1 hour period where it was down, it has been working great. I got the install deal they have running now for $100. I signed up for the 20gb plan and so far we have used 8.5gb for the first two weeks. I game some, mostly thru Steam playing Left 4 Dead 2 and the Call of Duty games. Pings in game average around 90-110 which is acceptable and there is no lag. My speeds average 15 down and 2-3 up. As far as usage, our family (me, wife, teenager, and occasional college daughter on weekends) mostly surfs the web, the occasional games, and some downloading. There is no streaming of movies or music. I did try Netflix using a friends account just to see how it ran and it was great but we do redbox for movies. Hope this helps some people. I had satelite (8 years) previously as my only option and this is way beyond that. Is it expensive..yes but so far it is worth having.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to Uxbfool_t

So, its $100 for an install now? Is that on the Verizon site?

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

said by compuguybna:

They have had this on their website for a little while:

"For a limited time, save $100 on your equipment. Pay only $99.99 and get free professional installation in your home!
Hurry-offer ends October 14, 2012."

firepong

join:2006-08-08
Bay, AR

said by silbaco:

said by compuguybna:

They have had this on their website for a little while:

"For a limited time, save $100 on your equipment. Pay only $99.99 and get free professional installation in your home!
Hurry-offer ends October 14, 2012."

Do you think you could direct me to where this is on their site? Was going to print it off when I go up to my local Verizon Dealer tomorrow in case they say that this is not going on. I've had it happen a couple times when they are doing deals for phones and it shows up on their site but not in store.

That, or the website address, either will work. That way, I can just pull it up on their computer when I go in.

krenn

join:2006-08-23
Somerset, PA
kudos:1

It's right on the main site. »www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/home···/main.do

firepong

Bay, AR

said by krenn:

It's right on the main site. »www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/home···/main.do

Thanks. I didn't think of going that far down for the offer to be there lol

firepong

Bay, AR
reply to Uxbfool_t

Well, I just put in my order. Will be installed Wednesday, September 26. Hopefully, it goes good in my area. I was told that they haven't had but a few people come in and actually get it, so it's not that congested.

I was told though that my metal roof on my house might affect the signal. I asked if I could get the globe thingy put on a pole instead of the side of my house and was told to ask the installation person when he gets there and there is a possibility of it costing more. We will see. If that wont work, I'll ask if it can be put on the side boards of my roof since the Metal Roofing was added ontop of the current shingles because of finance problems (not being able to pay almost $4000 for new shingles when it only cost $1000 for a metal roof).

Again, I will see how it goes. Got the 30gig plan as I don't know how much data I will go through. After a couple months, if I find out 30gigs is to much, I'll downgrade it to the 20gig plan and just save myself that extra $30.

firepong

Bay, AR
reply to Boroguy333

said by Boroguy333 :

Have had HF about 2 weeks now and except for a 1 hour period where it was down, it has been working great. I got the install deal they have running now for $100. I signed up for the 20gb plan and so far we have used 8.5gb for the first two weeks. I game some, mostly thru Steam playing Left 4 Dead 2 and the Call of Duty games. Pings in game average around 90-110 which is acceptable and there is no lag. My speeds average 15 down and 2-3 up. As far as usage, our family (me, wife, teenager, and occasional college daughter on weekends) mostly surfs the web, the occasional games, and some downloading. There is no streaming of movies or music. I did try Netflix using a friends account just to see how it ran and it was great but we do redbox for movies. Hope this helps some people. I had satelite (8 years) previously as my only option and this is way beyond that. Is it expensive..yes but so far it is worth having.

This is exactly what I'm hoping my experience is like. I've had satellite in the past and man, it was shit. Been using my phone for the longest time until ATT told me to buy a tethering plan or I will loose my Unlimited Data. So I gave up my Unlimited Data, dropped to the 200mb plan and told them to F*** Off politely So now, I'm waiting for Wednesday to come along for my install. I got the 30gig plan though in case I do enough browsing to go over. Don't want to pay $10 a gig. After a couple months, if I see that 30gigs is to much, like I said in my previous post, I'll lower it down the the 20gig plan.

Cincy Fusion

@myvzw.com

I have had a very unreliable experience with Home Fusion since it was installed at our house near Hamilton, OH this past July. It seems to be losing signal more frequently now, so I demanded that Verizon come out and move it. They want $150 to pay an installer to do so. . .

It is very fast when it is working, but it is pricey and not worth the investment when it stops working. Our other 4G phones work inside the house when the Super Sh*t Bucket isn't. I even borrowed a demo 4G mobile HotSpot to test when the Bucket lost signal, and the HotSpot kept on working INSIDE the house.

Please advise me on the best way to test for signal strength at other locations around our house.

I will NOT pay an third party installer $150 to walk around my house with a cell phone app and attempt to find the easiest location to install (that uses the least amount of cable).

I am comfortable on ladders, so I plan on testing signal at multiple locations around the second story of our house.

Thanks for your help, and beware of the lack of support that Verizon offers. Once your trial is up, you're on your own.

-Frustrated Cincinnati Fusion Owner

verizonlteda

@myvzw.com

You don't have to pay$150 for installer come out just pay monthly 6.99 common sense on a hone connection. then you get free truck rolls.

firepong

Bay, AR

said by verizonlteda :

You don't have to pay$150 for installer come out just pay monthly 6.99 common sense on a hone connection. then you get free truck rolls.

Yeah, after I read how much it was going to cost for Home Calls if anything ever happened in the Owner's manual while the tech was out here setting up, it made my mind up. I wasn't going to take the risk of something going wrong and pay that much more when it's only $7 extra on my bill every month. Remind you, this warranty is only valid within the first 30 days of install and you cannot get it after that, so I think the above owner is screwed on that matter.

What I wish is that they made it required on the Warranty instead of optional. If I hadn't have been reading the book, I probably would not have noticed it.

licklog

join:2006-06-14
Sevierville, TN

2 edits
reply to firepong

I had the HF installed last week and it is working without a hitch although the speeds are below what I was and am still getting with my jetpack 4620l with a yagi antenna (8mbps vs 12mbps); probably because of the Yagi. I will probably keep the HF after the trial because the price packages are much better, the speed difference is not a show stopper and I really don't need the flexibility of a mifi.

But I am greedy so my question is: Can I use my Yagi antenna in place of or in conjunction with the cantenna antenna to improve my signal? If so, how would I hook that up?