spc
Search similar:

uniqs

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj

How y'all been?

It's a new month, the weather is starting to warm up again here in Cleveland, my WOW services are still working mostly OK, and... DSLREPORTS IS BACK!! (well, in a fashion).

So... how's everyone and their WOW service been during the hiatus?

Me... I was contemplating the cost of adding Essential Phone to my Digital Basic + 15/1 bundle. As far as I can tell, it'll be at least $29 more (the Digital Basic + 15/1 internet + Essential Phone is $20 more than Digital Basic + 15/1 internet, plus $5 for the required modem/EMTA rental + $4 network line fee plus... additional taxes and fees on top of those for just the TV + internet?).

The bare bones AT&T landline at my house runs $25.change / month plus about $2-$3 / month to Pioneer Telephone for long distance. WOW's Essential Phone doesn't include voicemail or long distance (that's $0.05/minute).

So it looks like WOW Essential Phone would run about $6 or so more than my landline? WOW's Standard Phone only includes 100 outbound calling minutes. And I don't need the unlimited long distance provided by Advanced Phone.

I'm guessing that it would actually be a better deal to port my landline number to the PagePlus Talk N' Text 1200 plan ($29.95/month and includes voicemail and long distance, 1200 minutes/month).

There are cheaper VoIP options, but I need reliable 911 service.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32

I'd probably look into VoIP with another company. I mean, I love WOW but all major ISP's VoIP offerings leave a bit to be desired when it comes to pricing. Plus, if you have your VoIP with WOW and you ever switch to another ISP, I wonder how hard it would be to port that to the new ISP?

Look into Magic Jack or Viatalk.
bsipe9
join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH

bsipe9

I've been using MagicJack Plus since October with better than acceptable results. The Plus version is nice in that it doesn't need a computer running 24-7 to operate. The only annoyance I have is that I now have to dial the area code for local numbers now. But when I consider the $20 a year with MJ+ vs. the nearly $400 a year I had with WOW it makes dialing those three extra numbers worthwhile.