Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

[BC] Actiontec VDSL modem bridgeable?

Considering switching to the 25Mb VDSL2 service in Vancouver. However I need to run a separate run, so I was wondering if the modem can now be configured as a bridge instead of a acting as a router.

From what I know in the past the modem didn't have a bridge mode. However given that 18 months of posts are missing I wanted to know if anything changed recently.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2

Nothing has changed, in fact Telus has made it increasingly more difficult to put the unit into bridge mode.

Ask around and you should be able to find someone who will sell you a Telus ALU 7130 modem. Not easy to obtain but they do exist.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

Argh, guess it's not much of an option for me then. The 7130 is not that common any more as Telus had not had them for a while. Plus given my experience with the 7130 (the one Bell is using, aka "Cellpig") I don't really trust that modem either.

Can't believe how Telus does not recognize that many users (especially those on a higher end plan) have a need to use a self configured router rather than Telus' locked down version.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to decx

My understanding is this is perfectly possible, you just need the root p/w. (or, buy your own and flash another firmware version.. I dont have the details or pitfalls of that).
I can't send it to you because I (stupidly) kept it recorded only in my PM's, but someone might take pity on us both and IM us.
I've heard it said you could also buy a zyxel VDSL2 modem and it would work, bu again, I dont have the details. perhaps someone else will comment.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

At this point buying your own VDSL2 modem isn't a good solution. There seems to be issues between modems with certain firmware working with specific DSLAM models. Plus they're quite hard to find and expensive (very few niche retailers) given that they're not generally sold to the public.

That said I believe the Zyxel VSG1432 will work (TSI is selling that for their Telus wholesale product). But it is expected to be very price and out of stock atm.

If the Actiontec can be set via root, maybe it's doable by the installer?

Anon

anyone would like to explain to me how to bridge mode on the hacked v1000h?
i have the customized firmware installed, and i can see RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging in the advanced setting
but what should i do after i select this? basically the router disabled all the DHCP which is correct, but it is also not forwarding any physical IP to any LAN port, which is confuzing
any help will be appreciated
thank you

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to decx

said by decx:

The 7130 is not that common any more as Telus had not had them for a while. Plus given my experience with the 7130 (the one Bell is using, aka "Cellpig") I don't really trust that modem either.

They are very common modems on TELUS's network, mostly deployed with wholesale and enterprise customers. Additionally, they are not at all related to the Cellpipe that bell distributes. Totally different chipset!
--
Xenophase - British Columbia's premier online gaming community.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by pfak:

Additionally, they are not at all related to the Cellpipe that bell distributes. Totally different chipset!

That's good to know.

But I don't think the 7130 is available from Telus any longer. Was just hoping that the Actiontec could do the job without having to searching for and spending on a 7130.

aa_aa

join:2006-11-15
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS

said by decx:

That's good to know.

But I don't think the 7130 is available from Telus any longer. Was just hoping that the Actiontec could do the job without having to searching for and spending on a 7130.

I received a 7130 from Telus about 2 weeks ago for a business service I had upgraded. The first modem died within 4 hours (no lights) but a replacement was delivered in a very prompt time. Seems to be no real issue to receive one as long as your service warrants it.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

2 edits
reply to decx

I was told that they no longer gave those out for residential VDSL.

Given that standalone routers are quite common nowadays what is everyone doing to use Telus' locked Actiontec? Double NATing with DMZ is hardly ideal.

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to decx

It works OK. I'm DMZ'd until I bridge and pick up a Home PNA adapter to connect the STBs (over coax) to my home router.

The current set up works, but the inelegance of it chafes my ass.
The one thing that doesn't actually work so far that I've encountered is internal LAN access to internal LAN access via internet IP. (loopback).

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to decx

said by decx:

Can't believe how Telus does not recognize that many users (especially those on a higher end plan) have a need to use a self configured router rather than Telus' locked down version.

I'll give you two reasons for TELUS' method of thinking regarding their choice of hardware:

1. It takes less time for a TSR to reboot and reset a gateway rather than having to deal with hundreds of brand name routers. It saves time and money on the support calls.

2. Advanced users don't make up for the majority of subscribers on any home based broadband service. Most are ordinary Jane and John Doe's that don't know a single technical abbreviation.

I'm not defending an ISP's position on the matter, as I would love to have my own modem. Luckily Shaw supports a bridged/non-bridged configuration on their gateways, even though I do hate them with a passion.

curtisn

join:2002-04-26
Edmonton, AB
reply to decx

said by decx:

What is everyone doing to use Telus' locked Actiontec?

I'm no expert on things, but are the bridging setting on this modem-page of any help?:

»192.168.1.254/advancedsetup_wani···ess.html

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to decx

I'm not sure, I don't actually have access to one of the locked modems.

Tegra

join:2012-07-11
Surrey, BC
reply to curtisn

I have 31.30L.48 and cannot get to that page.

I could sure use a password to get this into Bridge mode.

Shaw did it for me in seconds with a smile!

Tom

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to XT0RT

By that way of thinking i guess Us "Power users" should be paying over 1000 a month for a dedicated line too eh ?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to Tegra

said by Tegra:

I have 31.30L.48 and cannot get to that page.

I could sure use a password to get this into Bridge mode.

Shaw did it for me in seconds with a smile!

Tom

Telus won't do it. Shaw will allow users to bridge the modems. There was a rumor floating around in the office that a future release of the firmware for the Actiontec was supposedly going to add the ability to bridge the device without having to install different firmware from a source that is not associated with Telus.

Tegra

Surrey, BC

Thanks!

It appears I spoke too soon!

I tried again with httpS and was able to get it into Bridging!

I am happily connected as we speak.

The unit came out of the box with 31.30L.48 so I am able to get to the hidden pages. I went into tr69.html and changed the ACS URL to telus.nowhere. I am hoping that this prevents any automatic firmware updates.

I see I can still get to the configuration at 192.168.1.254 and I have been able to add a second ip!

This is just a "simple" internet connection, surprised that it is such a chore to dumb down the modem.

Tom

Tegra

Surrey, BC
reply to Tegra

Spoke to soon....

tried https and it worked!

I am now bridged!

Now I have to figure out how to get back in to turn the wireless off!

Tom

andrewo8lgeg

join:2012-07-31
Canada
reply to curtisn

I am unable to connect to this due to not knowing the login credentials.

Also: some posts talk of having 31.30L.48

What does this mean?