Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [complaint] kudos

said by Mele20:

...that page is much faster for finding a forum. It is not though any good if you want a preview of the latest posts in a specific forum. For that, you need the new All Forums page.

Actually, picking favorites and using the Favorite Forums page is much better at that.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by GlennLouEarl:

said by Mele20:

...that page is much faster for finding a forum. It is not though any good if you want a preview of the latest posts in a specific forum. For that, you need the new All Forums page.

Actually, picking favorites and using the Favorite Forums page is much better at that.

Picking favorites is better for previews of posts in forums? I didn't know favorites did that. I don't understand the point of favorites. I'd have to list most every forum. You use the All forums page for all the forums that you don't go to constantly. How would putting all those forums in favorites be helpful? If you go to a forum constantly then, unless you are a lurker, you would be posting in it and then you just access that forum from your postlist/all page which is my home page on all browsers.

It is just because the site is not showing recent posts that I have a problem now until I post in all forums I go to all the time. I've been doing it this way since long before Justin introduced favorites. I didn't see much point then in favorites and still don't. I can see though that someone who joined here after Justin created favorites and started doing it that way from the beginning would like it and would be puzzled by us old timers who still do it the old way.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

I didn't use it for a long time -- just used postlist; but I've been using favorites for awhile now, and I think it's pretty useful for following one's "picks". (You have to use the 'slow' view to see the [up to] 8 most recently updated topics with new posts in a forum.)

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

But why is The Pub and the Watercooler missing? They have been around for a long time.

They are not missing here.

There's probably some missing data on what private forums you have access to (just guessing).
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

They are not missing in the old All Forums list for you? They are not private forums. There are private forums not in the old All Forums list but Watercooler and Pub have been around for ever and have nothing to do with how long you have been a member here or if you have applied for admission. So, I don't understand why they are not in the old All Forums list. I don't use them but I noticed they are not in the list. Pub Games is listed but not the Pub. I guess they are just not there because that is a pre Oct 2010 list but I thought it odd those two were missing. Others that are missing, I can understand why as they are private, require a level of membership, or certain length of membership, etc.

If you are referring to what forums are listed if you use the new list from "Forums" on the blue tool bar, they are there as are all private, etc forums that I have access to. It is just the old list that is easier to use where they are missing and they are not private anyway so they should not be missing on the old list.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to nwrickert

Premium Member

to nwrickert
I think she meant(?) missing from that page in the FAQ (which I assumed was the case because they're "private" and, thus, intentionally excluded from a "public" FAQ--this one anyway [there are some other FAQ in which they're mentioned]).

(Heh, lookey there--she posted just before I did. )

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

If we're talking about the forums list in the FAQ (as you alluded), then yes, I left them out on purpose. There shouldn't be any "private" forums (or, forums anonymous users can't reach) listed in there.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by state:

If we're talking about the forums list in the FAQ (as you alluded), then yes, I left them out on purpose. There shouldn't be any "private" forums (or, forums anonymous users can't reach) listed in there.

Oh. Ok. But those two aren't private are they? I understand leaving out the private ones. Are you saying that anon cannot access pub or watercooler? If so, after all these years here, I did not know that. But then I only access those two if someone links to a post there in a forum thread I am reading so I guess I am ignorant about any requirements for them.

OTOH maybe it has been so long that I have had access to them that I have completely forgotten that you have be registered and make x number of posts or something first...I've been here too long. I've also forgotten about trinkets and stars...but now I am reminded...I wish we still had stars.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

They are not missing in the old All Forums list for you?

You are correct - they are not there. I am seeing them on the post-tracker page.

They are not private forums.

Yes, they are.

This is probably just a problem with missing data. Previously, the "all forums" page showed those private forums to which one had access, but not those to which one did not have access. I could (previously) see the pub when logged in, but not when logged out.

They are perhaps using a temporary list that works for everyone, while still attempting to recover data.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Mele20

Mod

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Are you saying that anon cannot access pub or watercooler?

Correct.