spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon

Mail Limits

Ok so here is a question.

I run a bunch of large weather related mailing lists and traffic mailing lists on a server at my home. I recently switched to start and I was told that since I cannot send outbound directly with start.ca I can use there mail servers to relay. My question is will outbound mail be throttled or limited if I send too much. On those busy days with a lot of storms I can pipe out a good chuck of mail. For example 2 days ago then those little storms hit Ontario I sent out 12061 messages. On big storm days it could be 2-4 times more.

I currently have my Cogeco Business Cable still online becuase I want to be sure before I completely switch to start that there will be no issues.

Or are there other options, and running these lists on a outside server/group system isn't an option for me.

And just so you don't all call me a spammer.

»www.weatherserver.net and »twitter.com/#!/mtoalerts

I run those.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium
join:2006-08-11
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Hey JayMan,

I hope this isn't OT, but would moving your current home server to a virtual appliance running on a cloud service be useful?

I know Amazon has really cut their rates quite recently. If you had a remote linux server running, you could clone your existing server image into *.vhd format (or whatever format required by the virtualisation software), then run that as a virtual machine on a cloud service.

You would then have access to the cloud servers Email system, perhaps making life easier?

This isn't a solution I have thoroughly thought through, rather, I'm just thinking off the top of my head on a possible alternative.

I hope this information is useful.
--
...virtue gives you heraldry.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Hi JayMan,

Email me at rocca@start.ca, I'm sure we can accommodate you.

ps: Thanks for joining us at Start.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium
join:2006-08-11
Canada
Rocca,

Are your hosting services pricing set in stone?

I felt 1GB storage + 1GB Transfer per month was kinda expensive.

Are you open to negotiation?
--
...virtue gives you heraldry.

Anon
I've thought about going Cloud or getting a VPS but for what I run I don't charge people so keeping it at home means I don't need to pay extra fees. As long as my internet keeps going so does the servers.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to neko
We have a personal domain service which can be added to any of our highspeed accounts, it's $5/mo and $10 setup, including domain registration. »www.start.ca/services/personal