share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Nicklaus,Palmer,Player,Trevino comment Woods' major goals

quote:
Woods is stuck on 14 professional majors and he missed the cut at this weekend’s Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte. The 36-year-old Woods ended a 30-month victory drought with a win at Bay Hill this year, but then had his worst performance as a pro at the Masters last month.

Nicklaus and Player think the struggling Woods can rediscover his game and win more majors. "I think he has a lot of talent, a lot of desire," Nicklaus said. "I think his desire his whole life has been built around breaking my record, and I still think his chances are very good."

"I think he will come back and play well, and it’s imperative that he does for the tour, because of the (TV) ratings," Player said. "He’s very young. Jack won the Masters when he was 46. I won the Masters when I was 42. So we mustn’t become too serious about it. He’s got time on his hands, and I think he can do it."

Trevino and Palmer aren’t so sure. "At the current situation, he’s going to have trouble," Palmer said. "That’s my feeling. "Palmer thinks Woods’ swing has become too technical and he needs to rely more on his natural ability and knowledge of the game. Trevino goes a step further, saying Woods needs to work on his game alone, without advice from a swing coach.

"He’s a little confused in the golf swing right now. Tiger is starting to play mechanically, and Tiger was always a feel player," Trevino said. ""What he needs to do is go off by himself, (with) nobody else, and take it out of the ground. That’s what I did, that’s what these three guys did, Mr. (Ben) Hogan did it. All of the old pros used to take it out of the ground, there was no instructor, there was no guru, no sports psychologist and all this other stuff."
»www.bostonherald.com/sports/golf···n=recent

I agree with Palmer & Player. Woods won't beat Nicklaus's majors record unless he dumps all the advisor hangers on that surround him.

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC
kudos:1
He needs to swallow his pride and go back to Butch Harmon. But I don't see that happening and Harmon is close to retiring.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
reply to FFH5
Woods has dumped his A-game and is trying to get it done with his D-game. Not working too well so far.

Caledfwlch10

join:2010-05-03
reply to FFH5
Sadly his D game is still worth more then any of us make.

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FFH5

Got Woods?

I think he's got it in him.
Tiger wins Memorial, ties Nicklaus with 73rd title
Dublin, OH Tiger Woods' win Sunday at the Memorial could be remembered for a lot of things.

It could be remembered for the strong closing stretch -- three birdies in his final four holes -- that propelled him past Rory Sabbatini and to the victory.

It could be remembered for the significant circumstances. The victory, coming at Jack Nicklaus' event, is the 73rd of Woods' career and ties him with Nicklaus for second on the all-time list.

But, more than likely, it will be remembered for the chip shot.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to FFH5

Re: Nicklaus,Palmer,Player,Trevino comment Woods' major goals

Tiger has seen his best days but he's still the greatest player of the modern era. Seeing him sitting next the Nicklaus, the greatest of the past and present was a thrill. I doubt he will beat Nicklaus' major record. He doesn't need to.
Expand your moderator at work

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

Re: Nicklaus,Palmer,Player,Trevino comment Woods' major goals

He's still the best in the world. I don't like his swing under Sean Foley but with this talent he could win using any swing theory he chooses. Rory Mcilroy has missed 3 cuts in a row, Luke Donald has never won a major, and the hottest player on tour in Rickie Fowler shoots 84 along side Tiger yesterday. The main difference between Tiger and the rest is he gets better under pressure. The others just try to hold on.

The chip in yesterday was amazing given the circumstance and degree of difficulty. The guy is amazing under pressure.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uo4GBlLxyE

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
Tiger got the magic going and pretty much nobody else can or ever has summoned up that magic like Tiger can. Nicklaus would have taken his lumps on 16 and settled for a par or bogey and moved on. Nicklaus would have never attempted the flop shot that Tiger hit. Nicklaus was never nifty from bunkers or trouble spots around the green. Tiger has those difficult shots down cold and wants to execute them when they are presented to him on the course.

I think 100 tour wins and 20 majors is still possible for Tiger and I would not bet against it. Of Tiger's wins, about 20% are majors. Tiger is 36. Vijay Singh won 28 times from age 36 to age 45.

Regardless of what happens going forward, Tiger has cemented his legacy as the best player of all time. His legacy is also cemented as a slime ball in his personal life. I believe in redemption, so perhaps he can polish up that part of his legacy but it will never spotless.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

I doubt he will beat Nicklaus' major record.

I doubt that as well.

Glad to see he won a tournament though. I enjoy seeing people come back from adversity.

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
Inman, SC
reply to drslash
I agree.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to drslash
said by drslash:

Regardless of what happens going forward, Tiger has cemented his legacy as the best player of all time.

I still have to go with Nicklaus there if no other reason than the length of time he showed his excellence. Tiger may get there or he may not. That is yet to be seen. When Tiger wins 8 Senior Tour majors after turning 50 like Nicklaus has, then maybe I'll change my mind.