uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

[MLB] Nationals & Phillies surprising this year

The Nationals leading the NL East are playing above their expectations. And the Phillies are playing below expectations(even with the loss of Howard & Utley). It has been a strange past month in the NL East.

Fatness, can the Nationals keep it up?

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

I am wondering the same about the O's.

The world of baseball seems upside down at the moment.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

. . can the Nationals keep it up?

With the pitching they've got I imagine they can-- though if they could figure out how to score more than one or two runs per game, that would be a big help.

Remains to be seen if Bryce Harper is going to hit well enough to stay in the Majors.
Saw him play for the first time on TV last night. Stole home. That's just not something you see every day. When he gets on base, he can make things happen.
He also botched a ball in left field, so I guess that part of his game still needs some work.
For some reason, Cole Hamels felt like he needed to plunk Harper on his first at-bat, apparently 'just because'.

The Nats sure seem to have the pitching staff they hoped they would, though. Even with sub-par hitting, that staff should be able to win their share of games if everyone stays healthy.
The big question (aside from whether Harper is ready to stay in the Majors) is: If Washington is in the middle of a pennant race and Strasburg is dominating the league when he reaches 160 innings, will they still shut him down for the year like they claim they will?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

They have the pitching to stay at or above .500 for the next several years. They're not hitting enough, though, and Jason Werth just broke his wrist. Still, with their pitching they should be over .500 this year, so anything's possible.

Their GM just went nuts (in a claculated way) in a public statement about a Phillies pitcher hitting Bryce Harper on purpose, and got the pitcher suspended. Harper went from 1st to 3rd on a single, then stole home, but the Phillies won the game. It's shaping up to (finally) be a good rivalry.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I really like the Nationals chances this year

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
Orioles 22-12
Nationals 21-12
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
And here comes them pesky phillies. Enjoy it while you can as it wont be much longer.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

And here comes them pesky phillies. Enjoy it while you can as it wont be much longer.

Ah you have to love Philly fans. Do you really expect much from this Phillies team this year? It's like me expecting the Mets to win 120 games.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

said by fatness:

It's shaping up to (finally) be a good rivalry.

Nationals have taken the first 2 games from the Phils in a series in Philly, and are back in first place (for however long that lasts in a tough division).
quote:
The Nationals won their third straight game and beat the Phillies for the sixth straight time in Philadelphia, something that had not been done in the franchise’s 43-year history. Washington has defeated Philadelphia in four of five meetings this year
»www.nytimes.com/2012/05/ ··· day.html
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

to MuDvAyNe
yes i do and mark my words, come september it will be the phillies in first place.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I'm not so sure about that one
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I am. Utley and howard will be back in a month or so and they will blow by the whole division. Thats if they dont blow by them before then.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

I am. Utley and howard will be back in a month or so and they will blow by the whole division. Thats if they dont blow by them before then.

Yeah, because having Halladay on the shelf for a month is really gonna help that.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

They still have Cole Hamels
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
They will hold up fine with and without halladay. No worries at all. Depth at pitching is the very least of concerns. The main concern is getting howard and utley back especially howard as the phillies dont have a number 4 hitter without him.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
Tough division.
»mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standing ··· ndex.jsp

rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Sure is, and you have to tip your hat to the Mets for the job they are doing. Very improved from last year.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

Tough division.
»mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standing ··· ndex.jsp
[att=1]

I don't know how long Phils can hang in there, though they are doing ok right now. Besides not having Howard & Utley, Halladay is now out for at least a month.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

The Phillies are an aging team, I don't think they can hold up their winning ways much longer. We are already seeing the affects this year.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

The phillies always start slow with the exception of last year.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5
Update.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

wow
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Still not worried, But getting close. we were further back in 08 when we won the world series. Of course it was the mets then.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

Still not worried, But getting close. we were further back in 08 when we won the world series. Of course it was the mets then.

Cliff Lee will eventually win a game.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Yeah, hes not going to have a 0-15 record at the end of the season

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
It surely is a sign of the impending Zombie Apocalypse if both the Nationals and the Pirates are first place teams.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

And the Orioles are damn near in first place.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
And we have 2 wildcards which could give these teams a greater chance of making it to October
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Its the phillies, Tonight they win and now is where they turn the season around. They lost 9 out of the last ten. But tonight is when they turn the season around. From here they make up ground. What i dont like this year is the nationals continue to play good ball. Never expected that.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

The Nationals have a very deep, young pitching staff, so it'll be hard for them to go into any long losing streaks. They're a young team and I'm certainly not going to predict a division win or more for them; there's too much season left. But they have a pretty solid, young roster. And Bryce Harper looks like a legit player so far. They'll be fun to watch for years.