alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

[FP-Ops] F2B4 has been repaired

DSLR isn't the only thing that had RAID issues over the past two weeks...

On Saturday, April 14, we had a wicked thunderstorm that damaged several pieces of equipment (everything is surge protected and backed up by UPS's, so I don't get how it happened...) One of F2B4's hard drives was among the casulties (drives are in a RAID1 mirror, so the machine didn't die)

I bought two new 36gb 15k SCSI hard drives for it. (old ones were 36gb 10k drives), and tried to get the RAID controller to rebuild the array from the good 10k drive to a new 15k drive, but it wouldn't do it. I had backed up the machine a few days before the storm, so I just pulled the 10k drive, put both 15k drives in, built a new mirror, and reinstalled everything.

$80, about six hours, and some choice words later, and everything FP is fine.

(Renter's insurance handled the fried $3600 security DVR...)

RAID stands for retarded array of idiot discs...

parkut
Crunch Addict
MVM
join:2001-12-15
Clinton Township, MI

parkut

MVM

Thank you for being such a good caretaker of the foldy machine.

Gargoyle
MVM,
join:2000-12-29
Planet X

Gargoyle to alphapointe

MVM,

to alphapointe
Nice work ... thank you!!!

parkut
Crunch Addict
MVM
join:2001-12-15
Clinton Township, MI

parkut to alphapointe

MVM

to alphapointe
I goofed, I should have asked if you need reimbursed for the $80, or if you were making a contribution. If you need reimbursed, that will be no problem.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

As much as I hate to... reimbursement would hurt me less... those drives put a pretty good dent in my pay this past week...

Why are SCSI drives so expensive? I could get a 500GB SATA drive for what those SCSI drives cost!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: [FP-Ops] F2B4 has been repaired

Its the fair thing - I figured you were getting reimbursed
Glad Parkut is paying attention, even if delayed.

Gargoyle
MVM,
join:2000-12-29
Planet X

Gargoyle to alphapointe

MVM,

to alphapointe

Re: [FP-Ops] F2B4 has been repaired

I agree alphapointe, you should be reimbursed.

Sarah, please let us know if we need funds added to cover this repair.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

Thank you Sarah See Profile, and thank you all for your support of my decision to repair the machine. To be fair to parkut See Profile, who seems to be beating himself up over how this was handled, we had no forum for me to raise the issue at the time...

Root cause of this issue appears to have been a lightning strike close enough to induce voltage in inside wiring and/or the metal of the cabinet itself... (there is lightning strike evidence on the roof)

Except for the DVR, which insurance replaced, I didn't lose anything vital, and no one got hurt, which is always the most important thing of all.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 edit

Sunny

parkut needs to stop beating himself up. No way is that warranted.

I was a little puzzled at first about SCSI drives, but you guys explained and I immediately understood.

We are all thankful nobody was hurt. Agree, that is the most important part.

So, thanks to you, parkut, Sarah and Gizy, as well as GarG who was right there ready to help as well! Problems resolved and we're moving on!

Edit: And, you're right. We lost contact suddenly when this site went down and I don't think we found you until April 25th.