uniqs

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

MusicChoice

While dslreports was down, Music Choice reformatted their on-screen displays. Problem is, it was causing major screen burn-in due to high contrast and fixed graphics. There were so many complaints to Comcast and others that they have slightly reformatted it and it now alternates black/color to color/black in some areas, and moves things around.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

major screen burn-in in 7 days?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to andyross

to andyross
mmmm I kinda liked the old version, and I would have loved to have seen what pre "tweaked" version looked like.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to gar187er

MVM

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

major screen burn-in in 7 days?

Some people leave MC channels tuned in as background music and it may be on for many hours continuously. Unless you have a separate receiver for the audio, you could easily burn in a TV, especially a plasma set to the default 'sunburn' mode.
andyross

andyross to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

mmmm I kinda liked the old version, and I would have loved to have seen what pre "tweaked" version looked like.

The original 'new' version was similar, but was much more static. Also the text was smaller, making it hard to read on smaller or older TV's.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Just noticed this new look and it's horrible. The MC Logo is way too large, lots of wasted space, Odd color choices, Color transition is too slow, Large unrelated topics (suggestions and Ads) on the screen. No Album Art. Artist, Album, Track Title text is too small, these should have been swapped with the MC Logo space.

Lime Green, Bumble Bee Yellow? any other colors? Just changed to Fuchsia, seriously...Robins Egg Blue...All Easter Egg colors I guess.

Someone should have taken a look at Pandora and got some ideas.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to andyross

to andyross
Some TV's like from Sony have a "picture off" mode that turns the display off completly but allows the audio to continue.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Also, the cable boxes do have a screen-saver mode.
Anon
1 edit
Anon

Anon

Anon

said by andyross:

On some (my 7100-p2s) the screen saver only kicks in when the box is in standby which of course would then not allow any audio to play.
Anon

Anon to andyross

Anon

to andyross
Duplicate

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

I think that only kicks in when playback is paused.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

1 edit

rendrenner to andyross

to andyross
Most of the complaints that came in were impacting certain plasma TV's. It was called a temporary burn in. Ive seen it happen with the box diag screen if it was left on for a few minutes. (the Moto style boxes with the black and white screen).

As stated above, MC varied colors and duration of the graphics and text on the screen.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
nope kicked in on Cox on Music choice

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yet that's Cox which could have programmed things differently then Comcast.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner

said by Mike Wolf:

Yet that's Cox which could have programmed things differently then Comcast.

What could Cox program differently from Comcast as far as how Music Choice displays their programming?

Here's info from the Music Choice website

In response to concerns regarding potential screen burn-in as it relates to the enhanced Music Choice® service, Music Choice will be taking the following steps effective May 15th:

Elements will rotate through multiple positions on the screen as described below. The eight basic screens resultant from these configurations will change on a per song basis.

The logo and channel name will rotate thru positions in all four corners.
The background itself will change at least four times.
The TV screen ad will alternate between two positions -top & bottom.
The album art will rotate between three positions; left, center, and right across the middle of the screen.
The artist fact will alternate between right, center, and left.
The title, album, and artist text blocks will alternate horizontally in 3 different positions across the center of the screen.
Lastly, all the dynamic elements (i.e. elements that change and are not part of the background) on each screen will orbit around an 8-pixel axis in each position to minimize edge contrast, at intervals to be determined. These should not be perceptible to the viewer.

Please note that burn-in can result from many variables, such as TV type and consumer usage patterns and practices, outside of Music Choice control. As a result, Music Choice makes no guarantees nor assumes any liability associated with burn-in.

We have provided a "customer statement" below which you can use to assist in your response to customer inquiries or concerns related to burn-in and the Music Choice® service.

Customer Statement (PDF)*
Thank you,
Music Choice

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I was referring to the programming of the screensavers of Cox set top boxes being different then the programming of Comcast's set top boxes. Thats all.
bigbear639
join:2011-05-22
Philadelphia, PA

bigbear639 to andyross

to andyross
The new layout stinks. You can't read any of the text even on a 27" screen. Burnout is virtually nonexistent in LCD and LED TV;s and Monitors. Those that have Plasma can turn ofv the picture mode. I used to have one particular channel on for years on several TV;s and have never had a problem with screen burn. Why not complain about the LOGO that every Network has on all their shows. I suppose they don't cause screen burn, do they?

They just wanted more space for their stinking adds which are always on in one corner, Also no more photos of the stars. May as well turn on the Radio.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
cox has Music Choice HD (it's just the same with 16:9 display) and good way to build up the HD count with out really trying.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse

Is the audio quality any better? MC audio quality is ok, but not the best
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

Well if it's any consolation, it's better (audio quality-wise) over other providers:
- DISH - The SiriusXM channels sound about as good (bad) as how they come out of a SXM receiver; ie: MP3 quality. The 30 (stereo) CD channels sound about the same to a little better than MC, only because they have the actual music source at the DISH uplink. The 18+ (mono) audio channels, 'nuff said there!

- DirecTV - All their channels are provided by DMX (rebranded as "Sonic Tap") & come directly from DMX's 100+ channel dedicated service. Audio does seem to vary around, but for the most part, sound pretty decent; probably around the same level of MC, but I'd still give the nod to MC overall.

- U-verse - now uses MC; I haven't used it for any length of time to make an informed judgement on it.

Now one thing I will say...when we were Insight, & when MC was in clear QAM, I thought the audio quality coming directly out of my Sony HDTV (through an audio system, of course) sounded way better than out of the digital cable box. Of course, that avenue went away when it became encrypted...

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Here, all of the MC channels are on one frequency, and it's using 64QAM, too (everything else is 256QAM.) I'm guessing MC just sends a big master feed and most systems just pass it on. That's why the order of the channels is usually the same. Unless the end system does some re-compression, they would probably all sound the same.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Is the audio quality any better? MC audio quality is ok, but not the best

On the linear channel? No. It isn't "HD", just a 16:9 zoomed display from the same feed offered to everyone else. Cox did receive On-Demand Music Choice HD, though.

Press Release: Music Choice HD music videos available to Cox On-Demand subscribers

Cox is counting non-HD 16:9 as HD