Going Viral: The First PC Virus

»www.neatorama.com/2012/0 ··· c-virus/

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

My "first" was the Stoned Virus (actually a variant) around 1991. As it turned out a whole bunch of PC's at work got infected with it as well and I had to go around and clean them up (I wasn't IT--we didn't have any back then).

Not long after that I started using anti-virus software--at first McAfee then Norton (for MS-DOS) and became more paranoid. Actually I don't remember the last time I had a virus although I've had a few FP's.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator

Premium Member

Hell yeah...I still have some 5.25" floppies I know are teeming with nasties from when my damn gf took her WP homework to the Uni's computer lab and brought back a host of crap....that place had a VAX and a bunch of PC's with no AV.

I think it was the Rostov variant. Back then I used McAfee too on Win 3.1 later Win95, but mostly relied on F-Secure for DOS as it kicked McAfee's ass.

I had Terminate! comms proggie back in those days that allowed a DOS AV like F-Secure to scan incoming files from the BBS...long before real-time AV's on Win32.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to antdude

MVM

to antdude
I hate to admit this, and I don't want to sound off base, but...I've never really had one that got loose on my system. Anything that tried to join me and my system seems to have been trapped by one of my running programs...so far. I guess I have been very lucky as i, too, go back to the DOS days.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by jaykaykay:

I hate to admit this, and I don't want to sound off base, but...I've never really had one...

So are you green with envy?

(Sorry, couldn't resist )

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Mine was the ping pong ball virus.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
Good one! I've totally lost myself and can't get up to par. And, it's my most unflattering color, too.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Mine was the ping pong ball virus.

I don't recall that one although I've been using PC's since Jan 1986.
quote:
It was likely the most common and best known boot sector virus until outnumbered by the Stoned virus.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Stoned Empire.Monkey.a was the first and only virus I ever got.

Encountered it as I sorted through a pile of old floppies on my DOS machine some time around 1998.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I remember seeing Santa Bowling in school all the time. Before that, I was lucky not to get anything since I started on the net in '92.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

I think my first virus hit was Stealth virus for DOS back in mid 1990s/90s. My college friends and I got infected through 3.5" floppy disks from the university's computer labs. All you had to do is A: for the drive and boom infected! I remember we used McAfee (before they became crap) VirusScan for DOS to scan and clean!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi ··· ng_virus

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Watched the video back in March 2011

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dOWfPKT0

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Good one! I've totally lost myself and can't get up to par. And, it's my most unflattering color, too.

I can help SOME of that...check here: »Re: Welcome Back!!!

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I have never been infected. My wife's systems have been infected enough times for the both of us though.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Watched the video back in March 2011

(youtube clip)

Yep, I posted that video IIRC.