Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to jojosuburban

Premium Member

to jojosuburban

Re: Mediacom To Start Charging For Phone Modem

That sucks considering they will not provision customer owned phone modems.
jpatton
join:2010-04-07
Madison, WI

1 edit

jpatton

Indeed, it should be clearly listed in advertised monthly costs. I mean, might as well make the service free! (With $20 monthly required modem rental fee.)

Edit: Ok, well according to the above, you can purchase a modem form them (but at what cost?)
Lazy Senior_t
join:2012-05-07

Lazy Senior_t to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
Mediacom phone service is very poor. I can not understand anyone getting it.

I have Verizon Home Phone Connect: »www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· ct.shtml

This is an interface to regular home phones using Verizon Wireless.

$20 a month, no long distance charges, 100 percent reliable and no internet service needed. Free equipment with a 2 year contract.

I have had it for a year, it is just like having a wired phone except the long distance is free. The best $20 a month I have ever spent. If it is available in your area I highly recommend it. I believe it comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

My experience with mediacom phone service is very different from yours. I got phone service in 2005 I think (beta testing) and the service has been rock solid.

However these days most people use cell phones...
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

said by Anonymous88:

I was already to drop Century link, since we have 2 cellphones, and a basic line was costing $29/month with no long distance and no caller ID or anything. Then Mediacom sent me a postcard for a 24 month phone service deal for $9.95/month and $9.95 install, since I already had HSI & Family cable. I switched, and there was no problem porting my number into Mediacom.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by wth:

said by Anonymous88:

I was already to drop Century link, since we have 2 cellphones, and a basic line was costing $29/month with no long distance and no caller ID or anything. Then Mediacom sent me a postcard for a 24 month phone service deal for $9.95/month and $9.95 install, since I already had HSI & Family cable. I switched, and there was no problem porting my number into Mediacom.

i had phone service with mediacom for about ~3 years, i got tired of it going out so often and always needing a "tech out" even if the problem was on their lines (social anxiety disorder, i HATE having to deal with people if their is actually no NEED to) was also tired of the "up to" b.s. for the internet speed. i had finally reached the breaking point thanks to budget issues.

so, since they usually pull the "you should have a cell phone" line when you point out their service goes out when the power does. i called them up, and very nicely asked if they could match the $9.95/mo fee my cell provider would charge me for another line. i was told no, retention also told me no.

i head over to my cell phone providers site, pick out a phone, initiate the port process (after giving mediacom their 7 day notice of course) 2 days later my phones an extra line on my cell phone plan for $9.95/mo INCLUDING voice mail (something mediacom started charging ~$5/mo for shortly after i got their service to begin with)

what really ticks me off, not even a full month after the port out, i get an ad in the mail begging me to come back for, yup $9.95/mo for 24 months. and about 2 weeks ago some guy knocks on my door selling phone service (was rather pushy actually, even AFTER i explained to him why i ported out) then a few days after that i start getting sales calls from mediacom for their phone service offering, yeah, $9.95/mo for 24 months.

sorry mediacom, but when it comes to phone service, i dont play the back and forth game. you want me back, you pay the $300.00 ETF for my cell phone contract, and you give me the phone service for $1/mo for the first 24 months (i KNOW you can do it, you used to have that promo) then not a penny more than $9.95 a month after that for life. that is the ONLY way youl get me back. and if you keep bugging me with freaking phone calls, mailers, and people knocking on my door, youl lose a TV/internet customer as well.

i mean really, why would i switch back for any thing less than that? with phone service that goes out when the power does, that goes out when the cable goes out because it needs a signal adjustment (happens almost like clock work every year when the weather changes) then the fact that when you pull maintenance and the modems get shut down, half the time the phone didnt come back right, and you had to power cycle the modem other wise calls just didnt connect.

as has been said a few times before, there phone is considered "entertainment purposes only" (i believe but am not sure thats why they dont partisipate in the lifeline program for low income people, i mean, why else would they turn down free money unless they just couldn't meet the requirements of reliable phone service.) so why pay close to "pots" price for entertainment? magic jack = entertainment. look what that goes for and compare it to mediacom.

ok, this came out longer than i planned on, sorry about that

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer

Premium Member

said by thedragonmas:

i had phone service with mediacom for about ~3 years, i got tired of it going out so often

so, since they usually pull the "you should have a cell phone" line when you point out their service goes out

i mean really, why would i switch back for phone service that goes out when the power does, that goes out when the cable goes out because it needs a signal adjustment (happens almost like clock work every year when the weather changes) then the fact that when you pull maintenance and the modems get shut down, half the time the phone didnt come back right, and you had to power cycle the modem other wise calls just didnt connect.

as has been said a few times before, there phone is considered "entertainment purposes only"

thedragonmas See Profile, you said it all for me as well.... I had them tell me I needed a cell phone for outages one too many times and it had me realize why pay for their phone that didn't work well, a service that was so very frustrating....

I dropped the voip, and went cell only nearly 2 years ago... much less frustration in my world now.

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
That has been my experience so far as well, rock solid. I have used Vonage, Packet 8, and Uverse voice, and the call quality of Mediacom phone is as good as Uverse voice and better than the prior two mentioned. There is no jitter, and I haven't had an outage with it yet. It even worked during an internet outage, this is possible due to MC using a separate IP net for the call traffic.
caseywor

caseywor

I will say this, there is a good chance I will drop Mediacom phone at the end of my contract due to the added expense. I really don't need a home phone line, I live by myself, and have one of the new cordless handsets that can connect via BlueTooth to a cell phone and am pleased with it.