spc
Search similar:

uniqs
IcedTeas
join:2002-09-22
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

[OK] Have a few questions about HSI and Telephone

I currently have Cox HSI but NOT Cox telephone, I was wanting to know if someone could post some pictures or email them to me send a link or something of the set up if you have both.

The reason is that I may switch to Cox telephone, but the reason for my post is that my Cox HSI service isn't where my NIC for my telephone is at, about 50' away from each other.

I would like to see some pictures of the setup.

All of my wiring is homerun from a central distribution point in the the house.

Any and all help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Carl
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

they don't use NIU anymore they use phone modems
IcedTeas
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

Do you have a picture(s) of the setup if you have both? From the point it comes from the pedestal into the house? How is it separated to feed the cable modem and the to feed all the phone jacks.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

no Omaha started with NIU and that's what we have and new installs are phone modems the way understand it the phone jacks are fed with phone wire not coax the phone modem has ports that carry the phone service

»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· 0-641b-t 11df-ccef-000000000000}
bryant313_t
join:2012-05-03

bryant313_t to IcedTeas

to IcedTeas
you can plug a phone cord from the back of the modem into a phone jack on the wall and the rest of your phones in the home should be connected
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to IcedTeas

to IcedTeas
IcedTeas See Profile Cox has a Phone/Internet modem, and both services can be provided threw the one modem. Which will probably require a tech visit so they can setup the modem correctly. The modem will have one coax input on the back of it, and two phone input plugs to run to your phone, and one ethernet plug to run to your pc, and/or router if you use one. As one of the others have said, if you have multiple phone jacks in your house. hooking up one of them to the modem, should provide service to the rest of the jacks in the house.
IcedTeas
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

Click for full size
Here is my setup:

Cable on the left
Blue is Telephone
Yellow is Network
Below the network wiring is where the cable modem is current located (not pictured)

Does anyone know the make and model of what they are current using?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well the latest eMTA modem cox uses, is a D3 eMTA Modem. Its a Cisco DPQ3212. Which is what I currently use for my service threw cox having both phone, and internet.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IcedTeas

to IcedTeas
I have the cisco phone modem. Just disconnected my phone service at the phone demarc on outside of house so not backfeeding the world or picking up stray signals from the world.
Phone port on modem is plugged into nearest phone jack to backfeed the house.

Phoenix when first had Cox phone also used a niu at the outside demarc but no more.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to IcedTeas

Premium Member

to IcedTeas
said by IcedTeas:

Here is my setup:

Cable on the left
Blue is Telephone
Yellow is Network
Below the network wiring is where the cable modem is current located (not pictured)

Does anyone know the make and model of what they are current using?

Very nice neat organized wiring in there!

CoxJimR
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR to IcedTeas

Premium Member

to IcedTeas
I don't think we ever used NIU's in Metro-Tulsa, so you would get an eMTA. It would fit beautifully in your wiring closet you showed and just connect to your existing phone and Internet wiring there.
IcedTeas
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

A few more questions:

1. What is the cost of the modem?
2. Cost for the technician to visit/install?
IcedTeas

IcedTeas to dvd536

to dvd536
Most of this wiring was done after I had the house built and I did the all the low voltage wiring myself. If I do build again I would do it differently than I did initially. Not the the initial wiring was bad just better planning on my behalf. This was done 10 years ago when all of this was fairly new. Back when I built structured wiring was fairly new and prices were astronomical for components and such. Even to this day most homes I have been through are still wired in series for telephone, I know less wire cheaper, there are many other things that get done in other trades that I don't agree with.
GreyWolfX42
join:2001-08-25
Tulsa, OK

GreyWolfX42 to IcedTeas

to IcedTeas
Where did you purchase your equipment? Did you hire someone to do the installation?
IcedTeas
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

Parts Express and I did all of it myself, as I am too cheap to hire someone to do it. I am pretty picky with any project I do so I take the utmost care with anything I do.

I looked at the Leviton products and wasn't impressed, they have more to offer but it looked cheaply made. I believe the cost for the Leviton was more than I paid at Parts Express.

CoxJimR
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR to IcedTeas

Premium Member

to IcedTeas
said by IcedTeas:

A few more questions:

1. What is the cost of the modem?
2. Cost for the technician to visit/install?

1. If you purchase CDT, the modem is included at no extra charge.
2. Varies by market, I think most system have a free install when you add phone offer going, but YMMV.
IcedTeas
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

What is CDT?
YMMV = Your mileage may vary?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by IcedTeas:

What is CDT?

I don't know exact meaning, but pretty much means you have cox's phone service. As the eMTA modem is what is used to provide there service. Which you can use the modem also to provide internet, and the good thing is cox doesn't charge a monthly rate for the modem. But cox does require the eMTA modem to be returned, if you ever stop using there phone service. Also wanted to mention the eMTA's do come with a battery, which can last up to 8 hours when the power goes out. So even if the power goes out, the modem will still provide phone service for a few hours.

CoxJimR
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR to IcedTeas

Premium Member

to IcedTeas
said by IcedTeas:

What is CDT?

CDT is Cox Digital Telephone. Yes, YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary, I am not sure of how all offers are implemented at a local level.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Also wanted to mention the eMTA's do come with a battery, which can last up to 8 hours when the power goes out.

This will vary greatly based on the eMTA model and battery option selected and if you are actually talking on the phone as the ratings are generally for standby time, not talk time

for instance, the TMS502G has two options for batteries - one is rated at 5 hours and the other 10 hours

»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· 502G.pdf
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss to IcedTeas

to IcedTeas
Not sure which market in OK you're in. I'm in Tulsa, and up until recently, had an Arris D2 EMTA. Switched to a Moto D2 EMTA for a while but was having download issues. I'm now running with a Cisco DPQ3212 EMTA and it works pretty well.

If you currently have the cablemodem in that closet, it would work fine I would think if you have a distribution point for the phone within that closet. Not quite sure how you're set up aside from the picture. I only have one base phone in the same room with the modem so it's pretty straightforward.
IcedTeas
Owasso, OK

IcedTeas

Click for full size
Yes the cable modem is in the closet and I had whatever they were installing in 2006 and then this past November the modem died and I now have the Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.

The phone is in upper right all the blue (with the exception of the gray) Cat 5E in the upper right.
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss

said by IcedTeas:

Yes the cable modem is in the closet and I had whatever they were installing in 2006 and then this past November the modem died and I now have the Cisco DPC3010 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.

The phone is in upper right all the blue (with the exception of the gray) Cat 5E in the upper right.

DPQ3212 EMTA is essentially the phone modem version of the DPC3010. Both are D3 and they look very similar except for that the 3212 is a little beefier due to the battery is has on board.